The July Meeting

Bar the Bull

At the Start
I am not a flat man, but I am surprised ye flatties aren't discussing this meeting.

I think Redwood is a stone cold certainty today. He has run well in this race before, he is improving with age. He will like the ground.

I have had a bet on him, along with a Redwood - Burwaaz double. I am a sucker for a hard luck story, and his Ascot tale of woe seems plausible.

I am working from home today, and wouldn't mind somebody who knows something about flat handicaps telling me which way I should turn to keep me distracted from EBH's scarper across Normandy in the Tour de France.

Just been reading Dave Ord's discussion on the Sporting Life website and there's a couple of interesting comments on their including the fact a couple of very heavy showers have hit the track with more to come,

Labarinto carries plenty of stable confidence into our big handicap today but connections would like the showers to arrive before his race. He'll be a different proposition with genuine cut in the ground.

Bahrain Trophy a little bird tells me some members of the Highclere syndicate have been told to back Census today in anticipation of him winning this.

Take a chance on Tullius at the price in the 2.25.
Not an in-and-out horse, yet anyway.
Done well at Sandown but longer trip this.
24/1 Betfair.

"Bahrain Trophy a little bird tells me some members of the Highclere syndicate have been told to back Census today in anticipation of him winning this."

If he had run straight he would have gone very close.;)

Campanologist at 8/1 with firms offering EW 1/4 odds is a gift from the gods. Form enough to take this and won't mind the rain that's starting to fall.

Thank you, David.:p

Hope you didn't plunge too heavily on Mijhaar........unbelievable price in such a competitive handicap, but ran a cracker and gamble almost landed, sighs of relief from the betting-ring could be heard many miles away.

Kieran comes to the aid of the bookmakers again (allegedly).

Crystal Capella's Pride Stakes win marks her down as bodering on Group 1 class I think. I thought she was very sympathetically handled at Haydock where she was carrying a big penalty. 9/2 is too big for her in this.

Crystal Capella's Pride Stakes win marks her down as bodering on Group 1 class I think. I thought she was very sympathetically handled at Haydock where she was carrying a big penalty. 9/2 is too big for her in this.

We're having a Newmarket comp on another board and so far my reserves have won every race - my reserve in this is Crystal Capella:whistle:

Redwood is one to keep an eye on in foreign Group 1's-I was slightly surprised to see him running today.

Well nothing much has gone my way this flat season so far so probably wise to lay these, but tomorrow in the big handicap the Richard Guest horse Barnet Fair looks a good bet at 14's to me. In very good recent form.

If Frankie can dictate matters on Antara in the Falmouth surely she can show there's considerable improvement in the locker? Here's hoping...

Last edited:
Back