The King George

Until running plans of Kauto/Master Minded are clear, I'm putting my feet up and watching Betfair Chase replays!

I doubt they'll resist running Kauto and I agree with Ardross that he is still capable of running a big race. However, Nicholls concern is not whether he is good enough, but (as an older horse) whether he will recover in time. If Kauto doesn't run in the KG he'll go straight to the Gold Cup.

Whatever happens with Kauto I'm sure Master Minded will run in the KG anyway.

yes I don't blame the owners for trying..but as a punter i wouldn't touch him your money

as with LR..would love to see him pull it off..but the formbook tells another story

I'm with Long Run, but like I say Master Minded is the one who might just still be as good. Kauto will go straight to the Gold Cup (unless they are sure has has fully recovered in time for this, now that he's that bit older) Captain Chris would have to achieve the same feat as LR himself achieved last year. So on balance I'm with LR at odds against.

Last edited:
You obviously think Long Run is a class act ... but he's won 4 from 7 in the UK ... what's in his record then apart from the GC - a big exception, I know.

Stays up with the winner? Doesn't fall?

Lol, but I don't know ... as you know, I'm sure!
Just an amateur, me.:)

You obviously think Long Run is a class act ...

I do think he's a class act (to me this is evident). While in their prime I would figure Denman, Kauto and Master Minded above him I believe he is their successor and worthy favourite for the KG (again) and Gold Cup (again).

but his jumping ... ???

See before... I'm happy with his jumping. He got out of rhythm when trying to match Kauto upsides and then struggled to regain his position due to fitness. In the main he jumps very well and very accurately. You can worry about the jumping of many chasers, I wouldn't be worried about him, especially since his schooling to iron out his lazier habits. He's naturally very good.

Last edited:
Well, you only have to look at my posts very briefly (& the tips) to see how little I know.
It's just that I expect a GC winner to do much more than LR has - in my eyes, at least.

Anyway, I accept everyone else's superior knowledge, but I will withhold my 2c from betting on him!

Long Run is a young Gold Cup winner. What he did last season was very impressive, even with Denman and Kauto being in the twilight of their careers.

I think there's more to come from him.

I'd love Kauto to win the KG one more time though.

Long Run would have to jump better to win the GC - I know he has won it before - but based on Saturday, I doubt if he would actually get round. I thought KS looked very fit compared to first time out last season, and thought he really kept on well when clearly tired.
I still think KS, if at his best, could take another KG, and I would love to see him in March still with a chance.

The record of Long Run is impressive

a 6yo winner of a gold Cup, King George, Kingmaker and Feltahm ridden by an amateur and winner in FRAnce of gr1s in hurdle and fences

what more you can expect?

the level of form in figures is also very high

in general the other day jumped very well and the fact he pulled a bit at the beginning of the race and not being fully fit and staying so well after the mistakes of the back straight makes me think he is the most likely winner of the KG and Gc and by a big distance.

Indeed Suny

At 3:
1st Prix Georges De Talahouet Roy (G2)
1st Prix Cambaceres (G1)

At 4:
1st Prix James Hennessy (Listed)
1st Prix Maurice Gillois (G1)
1st Prix Orcada (G3)
1st Feltham Novices Chase (G1)
2nd Prix Ferdinand Dufaure (G1)

At 5:
1st Kingmaker Novices Chase (G2)
1st King George VI Chase (G1)
3rd RSA Chase (G1)
3rd Paddy Power Gold Cup (G3)

At 6:
1st Cheltenham Gold Cup (G1)
2nd Betfair Chase (G1)

Five Group/Grade 1 wins by the age of six isn't too shabby, nor being a Group 1 winner over both hurdles and fences :)

I made the point that he didn't jump well the Gold Cup day as people seem to think it is impossible to win a big race jumping poorly. Off the top of my head:

Strong Flow Hennessy
Long Run Gold Cup
One Knight RSA Chase
Flagship Uberalles Tingle Creek (at Cheltenham)
Flagship Uberalles Gold Cup
See More Business Gold Cup

All won while making mistakes in big races

Its not impossible to win a big race jumping poorly but it is still a strangely underrated factor. "if it wasnt for the mistakes" etc etc. Th assumption is that the mistakes magically disappear next time around. Well they could get worse too...

I think the above list would be best set alongside the list of talented horses that blew big races because their technique was rotten

i also dont buy this long run "needing the race" so much stuff. Been refered to as a "warm up" too. Its the third biggest staying chase of the season FFS and henderson is hardly hopeless and getting them ready after an absnese

Last edited:
...it's a case of giving a dog a bad name though. It is not the case that he is a bad jumper. On the whole he not only doesn't jump badly, but jumps like a proper steeplechaser should.

Last edited:
Just to switch sides of the fence (no pun intended) having been the one to raise the subject of LR's round of jumping in the Betfair in the first place...some of these comments are very reminiscent of those taking place in early 2007 after Kauto's Tingle Creek and King George wins and his howlers therein, and look what he went on to do!

Back