The Lincoln returning to Lincoln?

That would be mental, I reckon. It would probably render the rest of the city a car park.

I've just finished reading the 100 page document about the re-development of the course and I have to say I'm very impressed indeed. They really seem to know what they're talking about, know their game plan and seem to have every aspect covered. I'm still a little worried about the affect the road will have on the city when it's shut, but as long as they can prove there are ways to get around it and cause minimal problems then it appears the benefits almost certainly outweigh the negatives for the city and for racing. I hope they restore the listed Grandstand to its old glory and if they do so and build the other racecourse facilities to suit the grandstand then the course could be spectacular and in a brilliant position, in my opinion. I just hope they can come to some agreement with the people I saw on the local news who weren't too happy about them coming along and "nicking their common" even though they've clearly stated their will be minimal disturbance to it. One thing I'm also a little uncertain about it the lack of mention of restaurant and hospitality facilities on the 'new' course. That would be a serious faux pas if they were to miss out these things, good boxes and a good restaurant are great additions to any course. Overall, to say I'm impressed by it in an understatement and I seriously hope they can thrash it out and get the ball rolling and return racing to Lincoln (and perhaps even the Lincoln to Lincoln.) On that note, I also hope that seeing as they're getting 16 fixtures per year, that these 16 are built up of some good racing and not more dross. An emphasis on quality, rather than quantity would be a great approach here.

SERIOUS logistical problems will need to be overcome if the ambition of bringing Flat racing back to Lincoln in the next five years is to be realised.

The target was set this month when the Lincoln Racecourse Regeneration Company (LRRC) unveiled plans to redevelop the former racecourse at Carholme, which hosted its last meeting in 1964.

The proposal met with stiff opposition from local residents and now it has emerged that if the scheme gets planning permission racing could take place only on Sundays and Bank Holidays.

This is because every day an estimated 15,000 vehicles use Carholme Road, one of Lincoln's major arteries and which separates the track from the grandstand.

Mark Welsh, area highways manager at Lincolnshire County Council, said: "The closure of Carholme Road would present a challenge and in reality it would be possible only on Sundays or Bank Holidays when we would provide road closures as we do for other events such as the Christmas Market."

Nice thread. What is going to happen to Great Leighs? Have the investors gone to the wall?

Investors gone I think Gearoid - no danger of racing returning.

Sheikh Mo should buy the place and turn it into a training establishment if possible.

Alexandra Palace may yet re-open

fond memories of this track from my school days but hardly likely to reopen its a prime slot for a housing development they talked about this whenn great leighs opened its in a far better location for london racegoers than greta leighs ever was

keele racecourse is another in a fairly good location and the service station they built on it is so grotty its closure and reopening as a racecourse would be no great loss to the motorway traffic

Back