The Listener

Twas a shocking effort behind Star de Mohaison at Sandown too Rory. I think we all know my views on Thornton as a rider these days without the need to repeat them!

As previously said in this thread, in most cases loyalty has gone out of the window in the racing game.

I tend to disagree to be honest, provided you see things in context.

Sentiment and loyalty are in short supply in a lot of sports, but racing isn't too bad at all, with very few examples each year of top riders being jocked off when compared to the number of footballers who profess their undying love for a club and move a few months later. Or managers who get the dreaded vote of confidence from the chairman a few weeks before being sacked. We appear to be watching the England cricket captain in the process of removing the head coach at present, and Brian Ashton's reward for getting the rugby team to a world cup final just 15 months ago was the sack.

It's something Eddie Freemantle notes in to today's Observer (on the subject of Hayley Turner not being able to muscle her way in on better rides)

"so when the big jobs do come along with the big stables, jockeys tend to stick around, especially as there is a good deal more loyalty given to them by trainers and owners compared to other sports like football"

Incidentally on the subject of Andrew Thornton, their 'Tattenham Corner' feature is speculating that he's been indulging in a bit of wikipedia editing. Andrew Throntons wiki entry allegedly reads "Along with Tony McCoy, he is probably the strongest jump jockey in a finish"

Let that be a salutory lesson to Shadowy Leader. If you want your edit to remain in place, use sarcasm that the team of moderating editors won't be aware of. Describing the highways agency as "nazis" (however true) is only likely to last 10 minutes

Loyalty works both ways and when jockeys start riding to their own agendas then owners aren't being respected and need to act more than they do.

Will be interesting to see how he is ridden in the Hennessy in this context, Rory. Or were you making a general observation?

I haven't went back through his rides but he was certainly at fault in the 2006 Irish Hennessy. I'll forgive him that though - that finish was pure magic!

Back