The Oaks

Ardross

Senior Jockey
Arizona Jewel was impressive in that 10f Sandown maiden .

I suppose Havant is the key to the market - with her pedigree if she were to win or go close on Sunday she would be likely to start a warm favourite - any other fancies at this stage ?

Imagine's Kingmambo filly is worth a look. Called Guessing, she makes her debut at Gowran this weekend.

Trained by Aidan O'Brien.

She was my Ballydoyle 2yo last year so really looking forward to seeing her. Available at 25s with Skybet at the moment.

Although she could hardly fail to win tonight I've not given up yet on Wonder Of Wonders landing my ante-post Oaks bet. Her head carriage gives cause for concern, mind.

Wonder Of Wonders has been declared for Wednesday's Cheshire Oaks.

Blue Bunting looks absolutely rock-solid for Epsom, however. Best on form, best on time and likely, if anything, to improve for the step up in trip.

I suspect Havant will go very well in the Oaks she ran on strongly after being outpaced out.

Wonder Of Wonders has been declared for Wednesday's Cheshire Oaks.

Blue Bunting looks absolutely rock-solid for Epsom, however. Best on form, best on time and likely, if anything, to improve for the step up in trip.

Couldn't agree more. 7/2 a good price too, no?

Barring mishaps she will line up so how much shorter could she be on the day?

Well if something runs off with a trial she might not be - the bombing of the favourites and the proximity of Together makes the Guineas form possibly very dubious.

Barring mishaps she will line up so how much shorter could she be on the day?

Well, there is nothing else at this point in time (nothing else from the Guineas and Pretty Polly poor) and while 1/2 will come from the trials, they would have to do something special to usurp Blue Bunting - I would say she could get as short as 2/1 or 7/4.

Totally agree with Simon Cristford (Hamm as he's otherwise known) on this one. Blue Bunting looks streets clear of the other three year old fillies on form and speed figures at present, she's certain to stay and there doesn't seem to be too much waiting in the wings. I'd expect her to go off 5/2 or a smidge shorter come the day though so I'm not sure if there's much point in taking the 3/1 now.

Siren's Song of Jessie Harrington's looks the best one of the ones in below her in the betting though, won well the other week at Navan and will stay 1m4f. 25/1 looks a fair EW price if you know she's going to go for the race.

Last edited:
Her head carriage gives cause for concern, mind.

I can't remember her well enough to be honestb But the Timeform comment for her dam suggests she had a similar trait. In agreement that 25's looks worth taking a chance at prior to today's run.

I like Wonder of Wonders for this. I am really surprised with Misty for Me running here. I think she will not stay,. There is too much speed on her dam side.I think she was tailor-made for the Coronation. Riders booking will be interesting.

Last edited:
Punters who backed Wonder of Wonders at Leopardstown first time out this season must erm, wonder...

Their respective Guineas runs and proximity to Together obviously make Misty For Me and Blue Bunting the same horse. I think it's far to suggest that on looks and pedigree that Blue Bunting is open to quite a lot more improvement though.

As you'll know from earlier on in this thread, I've backed Wonder of Wonders, but she's on the short side now even if she is open to masses of improvement with the Chester form still probably some 15/18 lb shy of what an average Oaks winner should be capable of.

Back