The Pointing Thread

De Faoithesdream contests the opening race at Taunton tomorrow on his debut for Evan Williams. He's one of the few horses who's Pointing runs are available to view on Youtube - probably due to his sale at Brightwells Cheltenham a couple of months ago but here it is for anyone who wishes to see a front running performance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ncD0kdItgI&feature=g-all-u&context=G284be7fFAAAAAAAABAA

It's worth noting that Betterthanalright, According To Trev and Gale Force Oscar have all won since whilst Nearlybroke who was Pulled Up has also scored in recent months.

Had a few quid each way on this horse and he out ran his odds but I did think Moloney gave up very quickly on him. He should win a novice hurdle as this was a good race.

Agree Aragorn - he pulled hard throughout and at times was hanging quite badly.

Think letting him get on with it is the best way to ride the horse - backed him at triple figures and got out IR so no harm done but a nice horse for the future.

He does - I'm waiting for the runner-up from his Maiden (Betterthanalright) to get a handicap mark, think he has his third run for a mark at Tramore tomorrow.

I just thought I'd be a bit of an anorak and say that CEDRUS LIBANI means Cedars of Lebanon - he's out of CEDAR CASTLE so that's quite cute naming. The huge, spreading cedar forms the focal point of Lebanon's national flag, against a white background topped and bottomed by red bands. Tan-ta-rah!

I was at Godstone with Swedish Chef and managed to back a horse that's proven on soft at 14/1 for the Novice Riders race, it turned out to be Brendan Powell Jnr's first winner and I swear he'll never ride a better timed race in his life (well not one on such an enigmatic horse as Flowersoftherarest).

Patrick Smith was none too shabby on the same quirky animal at Cottenham yesterday - one half of the double which comprised the 17-year-old's first two winning rides in Points.

It's a shame that the "So You Think You Know About Pointing?" quiz was discontinued in the Annual a few years back, as the fact that Smith rode his first winner the season after training his first winner (Shannon Bob at Hackwood Park last March) is something few can lay claim to having done, far fewer whilst still in their teens.

Flowersoftherarest, meanwhile, is one of about 15 that trainer David Phelan has got in this term - the remainder are mostly maidens, mostly intended for sale, and will be tasked with trying to help Phelan help Smith secure the national novice riders' title this season.

Jeremy
(graysonscolumn)

David Phelan also has the enigmatic Tushana who's already worn cheekpieces, been carried out and virtually pulled herself up in a three race UK career so far having transferred from Ireland in the Summer.

Will update on the Irish scene in here too for anyone interested - Betterthanalright was heavily backed from 25's into 7/1 for his Maiden Hurdle yesterday at Tramore, he was very unlucky to place prior to his jockey failing to weigh in.

Gigginstown House Stud's War Correspondent was overhauled late on by Ballybough Pat who was seen to goo, effect after the last and looked a potentially very decent staying chaser. Ballyheigue Castle (runner-up to todays impressive bumper winner The Westener Boy LTO) was travelling as well as anything upsides the front running War Correspondent when coming down two out and in the process slightly hampering Ballybough Pat. I'd be surprised if Ballyheigue Castle wasn't up to making his mark in a bumper in the not too distant future as he travels very well in his races. War Correspondent will also be breaking his Maiden in the near future - probably next time out and represents another string in the bow of up and coming sire Westerner (already sire of G3 winner Katkovana over jumps and G2 flat winner Never Forget in addition to The Westener Boy, Blossom Gate and other useful pointers/bumper performers).

In the Open at the same track (Dromahane) last years Champion Hunter Chaser Salsify looked to have sealed the race going on before the last but was overhauled by the late run of the formerly useful hurdler Footy Facts, only seven went to post but they included the useful Hunter Chaser Rudi Trucker and Tony Martin's Northern Alliance.

Nearly a treble for the Ferguson yard too Jeremy - good to see Stress run well in the Restricted too for purely selfish reasons and also Accessallareas take the short Maiden - surely one of the few pointers to transfer from the UK p2p scene to the Irish and then back again?

...Accessallareas also becoming, of course, yet another subsequent winner from that divided maiden on day two of the Barbury meeting (division two of which produced its third subsequent winner alone in the form of Simply Game at Ideford Arch on Tuesday).

Some early-season fixtures simply attract fields pregnant with horses who'll find opportunities in the near future, and some don't. Barbury's two-dayer generally does. I bet the Harkaway Club meeting at Chaddesley Corbett the other day will as well.

Accessallareas is actually enjoying his second stint with Sarah-Jayne Davies and Jeremy Mahot, Martin. He only ever left at all as he was part-owned by an Irishman first time around who moved him across the sea subsequently. When the opportunity came to buy him back into the yard, the Leominster double-act did so.

Jeremy
(graysonscolumn)

Last edited:
Thanks for updating - his trip to Ireland wasn't exactly a success and it has to be said he's done far better for Sarah-Jayne Davies than she did over the sea.

Whitfield, CC and Barbury have been the best quality meetings so far - gutted I couldn't make CC the second time I've been thwarted for this meeting in two years. What A Laugh's Maiden looked very very strong on the clock and with the runner-up scoring since and him scoring at CC last week I'd imagine there'll be more winners coming out of the race later in the season than just the current ones (the two placed horses).

From the first division Toby Lerone looked a lovely type though took the whole straight to really get on top of Accessallareas and looks worth taking on if he contests a bumper to me whilst he could be a decent staying chaser in time. Would be surprised if Howareyougoingon wasn't upu to scoring in the coming months and of the Whitfield Maiden's the Vicky Collins trained Peterman looks capable of breaking his Maiden at a stayers track when seen out again despite him being a relative late comer to the sport.

Rich Live looks capable of going on to better things from Whitfield and won very well indeed IMO whilst the third Sizing Ireland I'd like to put in every Maiden I bet in purely so I can oppose him as IMO he's a horse with serious physical/mental problems.

Martin

the third Sizing Ireland I'd like to put in every Maiden I bet in purely so I can oppose him as IMO he's a horse with serious physical/mental problems.

...which may or may not have prevented him from doing any better than fourth in division one of the short maiden at Cottenham on Saturday, though perhaps in mitigation this time Accessallareas had already stretched the field beyond repair from quite some way out.

I'd need to see a replay before concluding with any conviction whether he pigged it or not - luckily Westcountry Videos were in attendance so footage will exist.

Jeremy
(graysonscolumn)

Last edited:
Cheers Jeremy - didn't realise Sizing Ireland ran on Saturday. Here's hoping he turns up again at Larkhill though I'd imagine that's quite a big price.

Sad to report a couple of losses from the Pointing ranks over the turn of the New Year, and neither in racing incidents, at that.

Nile Moon, the former Howard Johnson and Ann Hamilton inmate who scored three victories last spring for Lucy Sutcliffe (culminating in the novice riders' championship final at Tabley in May), was reported dead over the weekend having suffered a ruptured abdomen at home.

The death has also been announced of Strong Weld, who suffered a fatal injury whilst out hunting with the Ledbury. Like Nile Moon seen to best effect latterly as a front-runner, Rhys Jenkins' pride and joy had won 16 Points and a beginners' chase, including four Points in 2011 at the age of 14.

Rest easy, both.

Jeremy
(graysonscolumn)

Afternoon folks,

Could I ask a large favour of someone with a complete collection of Mackenzie/Selby/Harris annuals?

I’ve started riding and hunting an ex-pointer called Gerald’s Request (born in 2000, by Overbury I think). I don’t suspect he was much of a racehorse, but I’m curious to see what he has done and what was written about him. If anyone has the time, would you mind looking him up for me? If I can find out what he’s done and what area he raced in I might be able to track down a photo of him racing, which would be a nice present for his owner who is kind enough to let me out on him.

On a separate topic entirely, is anyone going to Larkhill on Saturday. I think I shall be there – any horses entered I should look out for?

Hi Benny, I can't help with the comments as I'm at work and my M/S/H's are at home, but I can give an overview of his form.

Geralds Request (b g 2000 Overbury - Entre Girl [Entre Nous]) was qualified with the Pentyrch in Wales. He ran 17 times between 2005 and 2009 with the following results: 1 x 3rd (Div II of the Lower Machen Open Maiden, 6th May 2006); 1 x 4th; 3 x 5th; 2 x F; 1 x R; 9 x PU, so unfortunately your suspicions about his ability are pretty much spot on.

I hope you and he are having fun hunting together.

According to the RP database he had one 3rd placing from 17 PTP's so can't imagine any comments are going to be too complimentary!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. He's great fun out hunting though only has one style of jumping - flat out - which makes for some interesting times!

I'll be at Larkhill on Saturday Benny if you fancy meeting up - just doing the form now, there's a couple of well bred Richard Barber (Paul Nicholls) newcomers and a relative of Big Bucks in Bucks Bond who'd have waltzed the Winners race here last year but for unshipping Will Biddick at the second last when cruising - he's unraced since though. Amongst the others entered are Gwanako, Chapoturgeon, Hills Of Aran, Kicks For Free, Palypso De Creek, Turko, Bay Cherry, According To John, Cedrus Libani, Knowhere and Naunton Brook.

Good grief! That's a real rollcall of the frequently great and good! GWANAKO! KNOWHERE! NAUNTON BROOK! Top gee-gees, still alive and going strong. Can't wait for Charing, Stamperino, to cheer me up and give me a good outing.

Update's from today at Larkhill - great racing but sadly marred by a couple of fatalities and injuries to a few jockeys, Tom Bellamny is ok but being kept in hospital overnight though still waiting for news on Jamie Jenkinson and Suzy Berry with the latter airlifted to hospital after a fall at the last (which continues to cause major problems) in the Ladies.

Ex-rules horses running today included Knowhere who unseated Rowley Bowen-Jones 4 out in the Mens Open on his first ride, the horse wasn't making any impression on the leaders at the time but had given his pilot a cracking spin.

The disappointment from last months Barbury meeting Description has moved from Jenny Gordon to the Hill's and though still in the same ownership the exceptional Gina Andrews took over from the owner and they duly obliged beating the Richard Barber trained Gwanako (who was IMO the pick of the paddock, ridden by Gina's sister Bridget).

Kicks For Free ran but didn't appear to see out the trip today whilst it's unlikely that the ground was soft enough for Palypso De Creek to repeat his soft ground demolition of a stronger field than he took on at Whitfield last month. Turko ran very well for a long way fading late on whilst Naunton Brook appears to need softer ground and a genuine stamina test, surely a possible for the 3m 5f race at Dunthrop in a couple of weeks time which IIRC he won last year.

According To John took the Mens Open and was a cut above a very decent field and he looks more than capable of taking a Hunter Chase and contesting the Cheltenham Foxhunters too though whether he'd be good enough to cope with the likes of Zemsky is another matter entirely.

As for Big Bucks' nephew Bucks Bond was having just his third start in as many seasons and though he looked fit and well in the paddock and was well supported in the ring (eventually going off 4/6ish) he failed to complete the course - exiting the race roughly a mile from the finish somewhere in the dip as they go out of sight for 200 yards or so, not sure how exactly Will Biddick came off but he was on board when they went into it and off when they came out but I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

There was a large Barber youngster presence at the track today with a runner or two in each of the Maiden's with Spider Monkey (owned by Jared Sullivan) running out an impressive enough winner of the first division under Will Biddick whilst I'm The Decider (Jack Barber) made it a double for the yard in the second division.

One for the future could be the 5yo who won the Restricted (winners of one) today in the shape of Hincheslea Moor who had been led out unsold at Brightwells Cheltenham last year for £8,000 and had attracted interest from Donald McCain amongst others and won this with a fair bit in hand despite appearing to carry plenty of condition in the paddock - he looks more than capable of going on to take a bumper uner rules and carve out a successful career in that sphere given this kept in tact his 100% record when completing the course (he'd fallen on debut on his only other start).

Great days racing and hopefully more of the same at Wadebridge tomorrow :)

Martin

Excellent write up, Martin; keep 'em coming!

What is the state of the ring at these British points, so to speak?

Edit: with regards to overround, ability to have a decent bet etc.

Last edited:
Better than under rules TS in terms of getting a bet on in the ring and the books are far more willing to take a view. It all depends on the bookmaker though - some would take £200 or so at 7/2 or 4's no problem and others would be reluctant to take £50 at the same price though it all depends on the area - I've only been racing in the Sandhurst area, South East, South Midlands, Midlands and East Anglia, can say you can get a chunk on in East Anglia as we went for a touch with our fella at the opening EA meet of the 2010/11 meeting though it did force the price from 7/2 down to 4/5. Yorkshire is meant to be a fairly decent area for getting a few quid on though with the Greenall's and Easterby's up there books are alawys wary of the various jockey bookings with Easterby's grandchildren riding a number of the good horses in the area whilst I'm told the North isn't bad either.

As I say though books are far more willing to take a view on a horse and go top price, or stand-out, for example I was taking 10/1 stand-out price about one in the Restricted yesterday when it was 6's and 7's elsewhere, under rules you'd be lucky to get 13/2 about the same horse (PU having not been suited to the track).

Generally books will open up very tight % wise and push horses out as the money fails to come - for example they opened up 2/1 about the second favourite (Trifollet) in the second division of the Maiden, though by the off 7/2 was freely available.

Martin

Back