The Pointing Thread

Last race

The Garrison has looked like a complete non-stayer in 3m p2p's and similar over 2m4f the last twice. Ran much better when runner-up last time and 22's looks big dropping back in trip.

Dom Poli entered at Wadebridge this weekend. Thomas Campbell and Village Vic set to oppose! Could be interesting contest if they turn up.

What a great day today at Dromahane/ Kanturk P2P
Turlough O Connor rides a first and last race double.
Michael o Sullivan rides a winner on his comeback from injury.
Cal Shine wins the open lightweight.
Lest we forget ... Derek O Connor rides a double

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First hunter chase of the season tomorrow.

Few Rules performers in there, Ultragold bidding for the first stage of Aintree qualification and Jess Bedi sending Buck Dancing down from the North just a couple of the highlights.

Fav stays well but not sure this shorter trip is his cup of tea, concerns about how WAH jumped last time he raced under Rules.

I've taken a chance on Buck Dancing E/W @ 22's who has a decent enough owner/rider/trainer up and travels down from North Yorkshire and also Ultragold @ 12's. While I think the latter is being prepped for Aintree in the spring he may surprise a few.

Martin

Good call on the fav Martin...WAH jumped alarmingly left when he got tired but put in a decent performance other than that.

Wishing And Hoping has the same trainer and jockey as Hazel Hill. It will be interesting to hear their views but, of course, more instructive to get Martin's. There was a 19lb difference in their respective marks before today's race.

Gutted I won't be there, had been due to attend but work commitments that aren't related to p2ping have scuppered it.

Intermediate
Wouldn't get too carried away by the big figure for Dan's Wee Man, only two finished at Ffos Las in a bog and he has an inexperienced rider up. Would expect BUFFALO SABRE to prove hard to beat. He didn't do a heap in his final two starts last season but showed enough in a highly competitive race at Larkhill on his comeback to suggest he can take this.
Open Maiden
Wouldn't be a race to get too involved in. GOLDENBRAVE showed ability in Ireland last year and has joined a top yard so I'd expect he's the most likely winner.

Mixed Open
Best race on the card quality wise and i'd expect to see money in the ring for Ravished. Done it well this year bar that one defeat and my fancy here is the Rowley horse OPTIMISED who stays well and was a winner here twice last year including in this race.

Confined
Just A Par goes in this but he's not the force of old, might still be enough to take this. If he's on a going day then LOTUS POND will take some stopping but he's run badly here in the past so not one to be taking short prices about.

2m4f 4yo & 5yo Maiden
Fran Nimmo had an impressive debutant at Sheriff Hutton last week and I'd expect one of her pair (FREEZING POINT & HOOKY STREET) will take this contest enroute to the sales at Cheltenham next week.

Veteran & Novice Riders
Trappy race and a few double entered elsewhere on the card. Anthony Bromley's son Ben has looked an improved rider in the last year or so and rides Drumhart but I'd prefer KAKI DE LA PREE having won at Ffos Las a few weeks ago. Wouldn't go mad as only the jockey's (Alexandra Ingram) second ride if she is on board. Angus Cheleda who rides Irish Anthem is very decent too.

Restricted
Sit this race out but if desperate for a bet then have a couple of quid on Belton Red Fox who has run well on heavy in the past.

Gutted I won't be there, had been due to attend but work commitments that aren't related to p2ping have scuppered it.

Intermediate
Wouldn't get too carried away by the big figure for Dan's Wee Man, only two finished at Ffos Las in a bog and he has an inexperienced rider up. Would expect BUFFALO SABRE to prove hard to beat. He didn't do a heap in his final two starts last season but showed enough in a highly competitive race at Larkhill on his comeback to suggest he can take this.
Open Maiden
Wouldn't be a race to get too involved in. GOLDENBRAVE showed ability in Ireland last year and has joined a top yard so I'd expect he's the most likely winner.

Mixed Open
Best race on the card quality wise and i'd expect to see money in the ring for Ravished. Done it well this year bar that one defeat and my fancy here is the Rowley horse OPTIMISED who stays well and was a winner here twice last year including in this race.

Confined
Just A Par goes in this but he's not the force of old, might still be enough to take this. If he's on a going day then LOTUS POND will take some stopping but he's run badly here in the past so not one to be taking short prices about.

2m4f 4yo & 5yo Maiden
Fran Nimmo had an impressive debutant at Sheriff Hutton last week and I'd expect one of her pair (FREEZING POINT & HOOKY STREET) will take this contest enroute to the sales at Cheltenham next week.

Veteran & Novice Riders
Trappy race and a few double entered elsewhere on the card. Anthony Bromley's son Ben has looked an improved rider in the last year or so and rides Drumhart but I'd prefer KAKI DE LA PREE having won at Ffos Las a few weeks ago. Wouldn't go mad as only the jockey's (Alexandra Ingram) second ride if she is on board. Angus Cheleda who rides Irish Anthem is very decent too.

Restricted
Sit this race out but if desperate for a bet then have a couple of quid on Belton Red Fox who has run well on heavy in the past.

As an aside

Intermediate - Buffalo Sabre didn't run, Dan's Wee Man well backed into 5/4f I'm told and finished last of five.

Open Maiden - Goldenbrave available at 7/2 early won as a 5/4 favourite.

Mixed Open - Optimised beaten at 4/7 by Alfstar. Ravished was sent off 7/4 under Joe Wright and finished third.

Confined - Lotus Pond went off evs and finished third in a five runner field. Just A Par second at 2/1.

2m4f Maiden - neither ran but Freezing Point won at Buckfastleigh.

Vet & Novice Riders = Kaki de La Pree was ridden from well off the pace and finished fourth. Irish Anthem finished runner-up at 2/1. Drumhart pulled up. Perfect Pirate was the 33/1 winner.

Restricted - three ran and Belton Red Fox finished last. Mr Snuffles the 4/6 favourite won by thirty lengths.

Thanks again Martin for marking the card and had great day. Wonderful setting, beautiful weather and really nice crowd. Couple of 3 runner races the slight negative, but unsurprising I guess on very heavy ground

Eyecatcher was Kaki de La Pree who about a furlong behind for most of the way and never had a chance of winning!

A couple of photo's:

View over the course
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Good old Just a Par
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Yes I think so, also have last weeks impressive Sheriff Hutton winner in there too Jinny.

Any time Perpetual - think that was the riders second ever ride so not a massive shock she could have done better.

Hopefully I'll be there at the next meeting if you're around for it.

One punter apparently complained that he couldn't get a bet on to win more than £1,250 when there's 9 or 10 books there and the prize money is £200.

Martin

Back