The Price Of Beer

Where did you get the price, Walsworth? I remember Sam Smiths being cheaper than that (in Yorkshire anyway), though I could be wrong.

Sam Smiths is gash anyway.

Don't pint glasses have a little 1pt ring around them, so you can't over or under-fill? Does the head count as being beer if you get a bit of it over the top of the ring? From the comments following the sacking, it seems to be an own goal for the brewery. The boss sounds like a curmudgeonly ingrate who is far from putting customers first. All he'd have had to have done was issue a company policy statement to his landlords and ladies, advising them not to top up. Hopeless PR, but that's so often the way when CEO's get steamed up and bypass spokespeople.

There's probably more to this story than meets the eye, there usually is some other underlying niggle that has been simmering for sometime.
As regards the price, you won't find lager anywhere now at less than £3 a pint, even bitter is not far off and most real ales are over that now.
There was a move a few years ago to make it illegal to sell beer in any thing except an oversize glass with a line on it, but vested interests managed to scupper the idea. I believe there was a test case a few years back where it was decided that a pint could consist of 95% beer and 5% froth without contravening the Weights and Measures legislation, but lots of pubs have taken this to heart and insist on serving it up with the biggest head they can get away with.

As regards the price, you won't find lager anywhere now at less than £3 a pint, even bitter is not far off and most real ales are over that now.

I could name you a couple of spots between Leeds and York where Sam Smiths Alpine Lager is (well, was a year or so ago) £2 a go. The Sam Smiths stout is fierce cheap as well.

Last edited:
Yes VVO. And who is it that wants them to go? Polls have certainly turned around these last few years havent they

the biggest joke is that the nationlists think that they can stay in the £ whilst independent fiscally. Fcking unbelievable. For a start they will have to **** off to the euro (and take back their crap banks too if at all possible) and secondly they really think that the rest of the Uk will want to bail out the new greece?

I don't think the signature line has anything to do with Scottish Nationalism, independence, devolution or anything like that. It's just plainly a funny fact. The tories are as big a joke up here (maybe bigger) as Labour is everywhere at the moment.

I wasn't aware that the SNP were flogging the line. Seeing it a few posts earlier was the first I'd seen or heard it. But I agree it does sound like a Salmondism.

Best retort to nationalism was by the ever excellent Alastair Darling. He calmly destroyed Salmonds assertions. Even today, taking the less than populist line over Goodwin (who he didnt like personally too) shows what a thoughtful and classy politician he is

Best retort to nationalism was by the ever excellent Alastair Darling. He calmly destroyed Salmonds assertions. Even today, taking the less than populist line over Goodwin (who he didnt like personally too) shows what a thoughtful and classy politician he is

Agree, all round sensible and decent bloke, which is why he left frontbench Labour politics, where kindred spirits were/are pretty thin on the ground to put it mildly.

Nightmare scenario for DC would be Darling coming back as Labour leader.

Yes. And a perfect example of how hapless Labour are right now is the useless Chuka Umunna

A "business secretary" who has never run a business in his life (a lawyer FFS), blathered on about "police officers and nurses pay freezes" after the RBS bonus stuff last week

Talk about reaching out.....

How about the thousands and thousands of private sector workers who have also been hit hard but dont have the job security and pensions of the above?

No wonder they cant make impact in the polls. Absolutely useless party with a the class creep in charge

Last edited:
Back to the price of beer - the Prince of Wales in Cheltenham (on the main road to the racecourse) sells various beers at £2.50 per pint and Guinness at £2.70 per pint.

Wonder if that will be £3.50 and £3.70 in 5 weeks' time?

Its between £3.20 - £3.80 a pint in the various establishments close to me! Went to York last year and a pint for him and half a lemonade for me was £2.80 - hubby had to ask the landlord how much a pint was and nearly died when he got told! Then I explained to him just because it was nearly half the price of London didnt mean he could drink twice as many :)

Back