The proper stuff is back.....

Bobbyjo

At the Start
Ah yes, the time is here. The Arc is over, so little else of the glorified greyhound racing remains; only an event in America where they prove that point. Zarkava: she may be special...but she's no Fiddling The Facts.

It's time for the evenings to grow shorter, and the Saturday lie-ins as well. There's real racing to be watched. Heck, it's already starting. Already, a promising Irish novice hurdler from last year is out for this season; it can only be a matter of time before the others follow.

Soon, all the old debates will be back. Headstrong will tell us about stable whispers down in the Horse & Kettle, Shadow will remind us what a top trainer Edgy is, An Capall will speak in shadowy terms about a bumper and, eventually, we will all agree that Katchit is shite and that Sizing Europe would have pissed all over him before contracting horse plague running down the hill. Warbler will write 10,000 words on none of the above or, indeed, nothing in particular. And someone will ponder Rooster Booster's chances this year. Desert Orchid will rate this year's contenders through the poor old beast, and still give him a +. Every day, we will watch some plodder splash through the mud and win a maiden hurdle and someone will ask, "Is he a Cheltenham horse?" And then someone will disagree. And then every thread will contain a similar discussion until someone brings up Nick Dundee and Looks Like Trouble and everyone takes the bait.

Yes, it's National Hunt time....

It's an all-round scandal that any Flat racing is allowed between the Arc and the Lincoln.

Or ever, come to think of it.

finally its here! looking forward to seeing the stars back (plodders in the mud as betsmate would say!)

Cheltenham next friday..... march will soon be here :D:D

It's an all-round scandal that any Flat racing is allowed between the Arc and the Lincoln.

I'm a big advocate of the two codes having their own distinct seasons. Both would benefit.

The first step would be to cull that lousy summer jumping handicap chase from the April calendar.

I wouldn't call Silverburn an obvious one for the Paddy Power myself, fpp. He looks pretty exposed as wanting further than 21f, and I don't think he is all that well treated off his current rating (143, I think). I'd be surprised if Nicholls doesn't have something better for the race.

I'll be even more amazed if Mister McGoldrick can defy a handicap mark 15lbs higher than the one he won off at the Festival.

Hard to even give the race a second thought until at least the entries are known, but I'm keeping my eyes open for one horse in particular appearing. No point mentioning the name, as his current handicap mark would make him borderline for getting in, if something around 155 was to run with top-weight, and he'd probably need a winning prep to make him a live chance in such circumstances.

There's other racing...

Indeed, the only days of the week worth looking at NH racing are Saturdays (British) and Sundays (Irish).

Fortunately, we also have a healthy diet of quality AW racing from Kempton, Southwell, Wolverhampton, Great Leighs and Lingfield to fill the gaps.

If a constant diet of Class 5 and 6 maidens, sellers, handicaps and claimers doesn't warm the cockles on a winter's afternoon, then what will ?:confused:

The Winter Derby is also a far more interesting and competitive event than that 3 1/4 mile conditions race in Gloucestershire run for the benefit of Paul Nicholls' owners.

Indeed, the only days of the week worth looking at NH racing are Saturdays (British) and Sundays (Irish).

Fortunately, we also have a healthy diet of quality AW racing from Kempton, Southwell, Wolverhampton, Great Leighs and Lingfield to fill the gaps.

If a constant diet of Class 5 and 6 maidens, sellers, handicaps and claimers doesn't warm the cockles on a winter's afternoon, then what will ?:confused:

The Winter Derby is also a far more interesting and competitive event than that 3 1/4 mile conditions race in Gloucestershire run for the benefit of Paul Nicholls' owners.

Nurse?

Nurse!!

White Jacket needed? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Didn't some tosser on here refer to us jump fans as Twig lovers?
That one creased me:D

Back