The Road to "No more "The Road to" " threads.

Ardross

Senior Jockey
Please no more " The Road to " threads

Why cannot races be about themselves rather than on a road to Cheltenham etc ? Or say have a thread about the Derby rather than the road to it .

Ardross, I'm glad you've raised this - I've been meaning to for ages. "The Road to..." is just really off-putting and, when I see it, I don't fancy reading it.

At least we aren't on a "journey", thank God! Every tv programme now is about someone's "journey" to cooking for Masterchef, dancing the tango, ice-skating, or finding spiritual redemption in eating cockroaches.

I disagree -instead of lots of piddly little threads that can be over and done with fairly fast the road to threads have some depth and narrative.

By all means have a dedicated thread to a race but the 'Road' to' was amusing the first couple of times but is now just an irrelevance.

Move on, please!

Last edited:
Rather the reverse - quicker to spot a topic about the race you want to read about that doesn't start, along with several others, with the same title..

Rather the reverse - quicker to spot a topic about the race you want to read about that doesn't start, along with several others, with the same title..

Not sure that makes sense. Why read three threads when you can read one? I don't care much for titles but one of the great things about this board is that we don't end up with lots of threads about the same topic. The keep it simple principle should be observed!

I want to know how to get more than enough time. So far, I seem to have only the same amount as anyone else, DJ. Please send me your brochure today.

Not sure that makes sense. Why read three threads when you can read one? I don't care much for titles but one of the great things about this board is that we don't end up with lots of threads about the same topic. The keep it simple principle should be observed!

Think we're talking at cross purposes here. I understood Ardross' request to be can we just drop the 'Road to' bit, ie just have a thread, say, entitled "The Cheltenham Gold Cup 2012' rather than than "The Road to The Cheltenham Gold Cup 2012". So many "Road To"s makes it very slightly slower for us oldies, obviously, to differentiate!!

But it's really not important... :lol:

It isn't crisp and to the point, but I suppose that IS its point. It meanders on for months and months of conjecture, arguments, early tips, more conjecture, rumour, counter-rumour, more arguments, tips, a couple of insults, an apology, more tips, a departure in a huff, a new member, more rumours, even more tips... by the time the road's finished, it's time to start on next year's! Bit like painting the Firth of Forth Bridge. It never actually ends.

That bastid one-way round Oxford never ends, either. I went past the same point three times trying to get from the Paddy Power a couple of seasons ago to my humble lodgings out of town. Eventually had to fall into a police station and bleat pathetically for directions. If there is a Hell waiting, it'll be being trapped on one-way systems.

Roads fascinate us, don't they?

On the Road

On the Road Again

Keep Right on to the End of the Road

All roads lead to Rome

The Road to Mandalay

NUZUM ROADMAKERS, and so much, much more...

Can we keep all the no more "The Road to" talk and threads in here please, otherwise this place will be a mess.

Unless this has been sanctioned by the committee of Racing for Change I don't see how it can be implemented.

To be honest, there was a long and lengthy investigation into whether this thread should be started, but it was inconclusive. I decided that having spent 5million looking into it, I should just go ahead and do it anyways.

It isn't crisp and to the point, but I suppose that IS its point. It meanders on for months and months of conjecture, arguments, early tips, more conjecture, rumour, counter-rumour, more arguments, tips, a couple of insults, an apology, more tips, a departure in a huff, a new member, more rumours, even more tips... by the time the road's finished, it's time to start on next year's! Bit like painting the Firth of Forth Bridge. It never actually ends.

A perfect picture painted K!!

Back