The Road to "No more "The Road to" " threads.

:D I know you fell about laughing while you typed that! Excellent. Seems to be one topic that hasn't already gone off-track, so we must be on the right path.

As someone rather new to this forum I found the term rather charming, especially with The Festival and the National, where the whole season does ultimately lead to.

Hilarious, isn't it - they've got time to post in absolute minutiae on whether or not Horse A is better than Horse B - reams of the stuff - and yet if it's something not agreed with or light banter, we're told 'we have too much time on our hands'...

I'd like to see some of those levelling the criticism come and do a day or two here and then say that!

They wouldn't be able to, ducks, because they'd be spark out in the hay, crippled with exhaustion.

90% of this site is devoted to betting in one form or another. Horses are discussed in terms of how to make a winning bet out of them. 5% goes on bloodstock (one topic only), leaving 4% for jokes, other sports, photography, and, it would appear, .00001% for light-heartedness like this. With the daily horrors of the world visited upon us every minute, thanks to instant communication, you'd think some of us might be allowed a little giggle.

Think I'll take a wee break - I'm beginning to make it sound as if any of it matters.

The long and winding roooaaaddddd that leads to your doooorrrrr........

We're off on the road to Morocco
….I'll lay you eight to five that we'll meet Dorothy Lamour

Off on the road to Morocco
Hang on till the end of the line
(I like your jockey, quiet)

We certainly do get around
Like Webster's Dictionary, we’re Morocco bound...

..........they don't write them like that any more:

THE ROAD TO MOROCCO

This camel is tough on the spine (hit me with a band-aid, Dad)
Where they're goin', why we're goin', how can we be sure
I'll lay you eight to five that we'll meet Dorothy Lamour (yeah, get in
line)

Hang on till the end of the line (I like your jockey. Quiet)
I hear this country's where they do the dance of the seven veils
We'd tell you more (uh-ah) but we would have the censor on our tails (good
boy)

Like Webster's Dictionary we're Morocco bound

Well look out, well clear the way, 'cause here we come
Stand by for a concussion
The men eat fire, sleep on nails and saw their wives in half
It seems to me there should be easier ways to get a laugh
(shall I slip on my big shoes?)

Hooray! Well blow a horn, everybody duck
Yeah. it's a green light, come on boys

We may run into vilains but we're not afraid to roam
Because we read the story and we end up safe at home (yeah)
Certainly do get around
Like Webster's Dictionary we're Morocco bound

Like a complete set of Shakespeare that you get
in the corner drugstore for a dollar ninety-eight
We're Morocco bound

Or, like a volume of Omar Khayyam that you buy in the
department store at Christmas time for your cousin Julia
We're Morocco bound
(we could be arrested)

Lyrics by Johnny Burke, music Jimmy Van Huesen - The team of Burke and Van Heusen turned out some of the great hit tunes of the late 1930s and throughout the 1940s. Burke was the only major composer to spend his entire career with just one studio, Paramount Pictures. His primary function as a lyricist was working on Bing Crosby films. Of the 41 films on which he worked, 25 starred Bing Crosby. Seventeen songs were substantial hits, including "Pennies from Heaven", "I've Got a Pocketful of Dreams", "Only Forever", "Moonlight Becomes You" and "Sunday, Monday and Always". "Swinging on a Star", from the Bing Crosby film Going My Way, won an Academy Award for Best Song in 1944, one of seven Academy Awards won by the film.

..This made me dig out 'We're busy doing nothing' on utube..my favourite Bing Crosby song, and one that I like to sing at work....

Back