The Road to the Goffs National Stakes

Bar the Bull

At the Start
18 entries, including two supplementary (Dragon Pulse and Talwar).

The former has a good chance of following up Pathfork's win for Jessie last year. I am not sure if any bookie would be brave enough to price the field up, given that ten of the remaining entries are O'Brien-trained. At first glance, Power might be the number one hope.

HorseTrainer
Astrology A.P.O'Brien
Choir A.P.O'Brien
Crusade (USA) A.P.O'Brien
Daddy Long Legs (USA) A.P.O'Brien
David Livingston A.P.O'Brien
Dragon Pulse Mrs John Harrington
Furner's Green A.P.O'Brien
Parish Hall J. S. Bolger
Power (GB) A.P.O'Brien
Reply A.P.O'Brien
Riviera Poet D. K. Weld
Strait Of Zanzibar (USA) K.J. Condon
Talwar Jeremy Noseda (in GB)
Tenth Star A.P.O'Brien
Tough As Nails Michael Mulvany
Vault A.P.O'Brien
Whip Rule J. S. Bolger
Zip Top J. S. Bolger

Last edited:
Casamento has gone the way of most of the chaps who go on their holidays to Dubai for the winter. Not too sure about the other fella but I'd suggest he won't regain the sparkle he showed as a 2yo unfortunately.

Last edited:
I'm going to price this race if it kills me but a bookmaker would be off their game to. The Aiden O'Brien entries bar Power are so in and out of form and five of them (including Power) are entered in the Champagne Stakes on the same day. I'd be willing to forgive Choir one bad run but the others are impossible to get a handle on. I think you would only lay one horse if you priced it up and that's Dragon Pulse.

Last edited:
9/4 Power Aiden O'Brien
7/2 Dragon Pulse Mrs John Harrington
9/2 Talwar Jeremy Noseda
9/2 Crusade Aiden O'Brien
10/1 Tough As Nails Michael Mulvany
10/1 Choir Aiden O'Brien
12/1 Daddy Longlegs Aiden O'Brien
16/1 Zip Top J S Bolger
20/1 Parish Hall J S Bolger
20/1 Riviera Poet D K Weld
20/1 Furner's Green Aiden O'Brien
25/1 Reply Aiden O'Brien
25/1 Astrology Aiden O'Brien
33/1 Tenth Star Aiden O'Brien
33/1 David Livingston Aiden O'Brien
33/1 Vault Aiden O'Brien
100/1 Strait Of Zanzibar K J Condon
100/1 Whip Rule J S Bolger

Last edited:
Pathfork was reported due to return in the Minstrel (Irish Oaks meeting in July) and was a somewhat surprise absentee from the final decs for the race. I haven't heard a word about him since.

As for your prices, I'd have thought that with the probable soft ground, some of the O'Brien outsiders are more likely to run (Astrology interesting at 25s) than some of the shorter priced ones (Daddy Long Legs and Crusade - the latter aimed at the Blenheim, I think).

I have priced it on good going. The clue to the home team came today with the two horses with plenty of other big race entries being supplemented.

Astrology would definitely be of interest were he to run and the ground being soft. I am sure Krizon will correct my grammar should it be necessary. Its amazing - I am now composing my posts in the fearful knowledge that Krizon will be scrawling red marks all over them and tut tutting!!!

Last edited:
Astrology would definitely be of interest were he to run and the ground being soft. I am sure Krizon will correct my grammar should it be necessary. Its amazing - I am now composing my posts in the fearful knowledge that Krizon will be scrawling red marks all over them and tut tutting!!!

That first sentence is perfect Hiberno-English. Mr Synge would be proud of you.

9 run, no Astrology.

1 4 David Livingston(104) (APO'Brien) . 9,01
2 5 Dragon Pulse(110) (MrsJHarrington) . 9,01
3 6 Furner's Green (APO'Brien) . 9,01
4 7 Power (GB)(116) (APO'Brien) . 9,01
5 9 Strait Of Zanzibar (USA)(101) (KJCondon) .(B) 9,01
6 3 Talwar (JNoseda (in GB)) JFortune 9,01
7 2 Tough As Nails(112) (MMulvany) GFCarroll 9,01
8 8 Vault(101) (APO'Brien) . 9,01
9 1 Whip Rule(96) (JSBolger) KJManning(C) 9,01

It's not a bad renewal. Fascinating UK v IRE form. I'm still certain Dragon Pulse will be the one for money.

There one thing to take out of that race. La Collina is going to be a serious bet in the Chevely Park later this month. She was in season the last day.

Casamento had leg problems all year. Here is an update from the blue bin website. Click on the last picture. No news on Pathfork.

http://www.godolphin.com/PhotoGalleryMain.aspx?gid=959

2:40 - Prix Du Prince D'Orange (Group 3) (3yo+) (Turf)
Full result
1m2f, £34,482.76
1 Casamento 93/10
2 Barocci 9/1
3 Desert Blanc 2/1J
NR: Red Dubawi (IRE)
7 ran Distances: 1l, nse, shd
TIME 2m 6.70s (slow by 2.80s)
Jockey: Mickael Barzalona
Trainer: Mahmood Al Zarooni
WIN (incl. 1 euro stake): 10.30. PLACES: 2.70, 2.60, 1.60. DF: 30.00. SF: 71.40

Back