The Sprinters

Guest_

At the Start
Sakhee’s Secret sets the benchmark. I thought he made a more than satisfactory debut at Newmarket over Guineas weekend. Considering that 5 furlongs is probably just a bit short of his best and that he looked like he needed the run, there is every indication he is at least as good as ever.

US Ranger is confirmed as definitely returning to sprint trips from here on in so he could be interesting of the other older sprinters….while Contest impressed at Cork the last day and should do well in the Irish sprints at The Curragh.

The three year olds look to have Ravens Pass, Myboycharlie, Captain Gerrard, Sir Gerry all going strong for them. Leave many out? Any of these up to fending off the foreign sprinters?

Coral’s Golden Jubilee betting:

Sacred Kingdom 5/1
Sakhee's Secret 6/1
Takeover Target 10/1
Benbaun 14/1
Soldiers Tale 14/1
Zidane 14/1
Balthazaar's Gift 16/1
Haatef 16/1
Myboycharlie 16/1
Sir Gerry 16/1
Magnus 20/1
Marchand D'Or 20/1
US Ranger 20/1
Al Qasi 25/1
Astronomer Royal 25/1
Dark Missile 25/1
Greek Renaissance 25/1
Seachange 25/1
Utmost Respect 25/1
Assertive 33/1
Smart Enough 33/1
Sonny Red 33/1
Tajdeef 33/1
War Artist 33/1
Les Arcs 50/1

Surely the Wokingham would be a more realistic aim for Royal Rock at this moment in time?, he caught the eye and done it well at Yarmouth but I soemhow feel a group 1 would be a step to far on what he has achieved thus far.

I don't think we have seen the best of US Ranger as of yet and feel Sakhee's Secret is a lovely type, so I expect them to take the main look to be honest.

I hope for you Kevin Royal Rock is as good as the yard feel, however I would prefer to see him go premier handicap, listed, group 3 before maybe making a group 1 debut in something like the Sprint Cup at Haydock.

Interesting that Myboycharlie is being trained for a sprint campaign - it's been a while since we had a top sprinter that was a 3yo.

Originally posted by halmahera@May 7 2008, 03:34 PM
Interesting that Myboycharlie is being trained for a sprint campaign - it's been a while since we had a top sprinter that was a 3yo.
12 months I'd say.

Royal Rock is now rated 98 and as he dont really want it firm the Wokingham on usually firm ground and with a hefty weight might be a tough ask. But he is a big horse and the way he goes at home is impressive. Whether he can prove himself at Group 1 level i dont know but having been closely involved with Tamarisk and Goodricke both Haydock Sprint Cup winners and riding Royal Rock nearly everyday last year and this year i think he is as good as both of them. He is also a very laid back individual and would only ever do as much as is needed and he started off 70 in his first handicap last year in his first year on the track and ended on 94 so if he improves half of that this year we are up to Group Class and off his time of his Yarmouth race which was very fast on ground he hated and only 90% fit he should improve loads.

Sundae wouldn't be a million miles behind Royal Rock would he?

It was an above average renewal of the Silver Cup that he was placed in and the winner Utmost Respect has plenty of decent entries in the upcoming months.

Fudge

Any news on Premio Loco or Sundae? When are we likely to see them?

Agree re Royal Rock - looks a horse more than capable of making an impact at Group level.

Originally posted by sunybay@May 7 2008, 09:26 PM
This year looks a very weak year in the sprinters division.
Suny, people say this every year!

And it's virtually never true.

As I never tire of posting, the reason why this sometimes appears to be the case is simply because it's such a competitive division these days - there are so many about so it's hard to have just one or two horses dominating.

I disagree
there are many horses between 115 and 120 but there are not 125+ horses.

Sakhees Secret is the only 125+ horse here and if horses like Sacred Kingdom of australian come, they will win the main races again.

There are not Mozarts, Stravinsky, Oasis dream, Dayjur, Owington, Lochsong....nowdays.

Sundae would actually be about 5 or 6 lengths behind Royal Rock at home and Royal Rock is lazy on the gallops too. Sundae is due to run at Newbury in the 6f handicap on Lockinge day a week Saturday if the ground is not too firm.

Premio Loco is in good form and heads to Doncaster in 3 weeks time for a 7f handicap.

Originally posted by davidjohnson+May 7 2008, 04:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (davidjohnson @ May 7 2008, 04:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-halmahera@May 7 2008, 03:34 PM
12 months I'd say.[/b][/quote]
Sorry - although Sakhee's Secret was a Group 1 winner at three I wasn't classing him in the 'top' bracket.

We've had a few years now where the sprint division has been woefully poor. Given that there are now five G1s over 5-6f open to 3yo+ in the UK alone we really ought to see some better class sprinters.

Apache Cat could possibly be coming to the UK. He has now won 3 straight Group 1 races at WFA, from 1000m to 1200m. He donkey licked a stellar field last start, including Takeover Target.

If he comes, watch him, because he is deadly.

I was very impressed with Corrybrough the other day, but not sure what that form was worth. Certainly trainer seems to think a lot about him, and Abbaye was mentioned as late season target.

Originally posted by fudge@May 7 2008, 06:38 PM
Royal Rock is now rated 98 and as he dont really want it firm the Wokingham on usually firm ground and with a hefty weight might be a tough ask. But he is a big horse and the way he goes at home is impressive. Whether he can prove himself at Group 1 level i dont know but having been closely involved with Tamarisk and Goodricke both Haydock Sprint Cup winners and riding Royal Rock nearly everyday last year and this year i think he is as good as both of them. He is also a very laid back individual and would only ever do as much as is needed and he started off 70 in his first handicap last year in his first year on the track and ended on 94 so if he improves half of that this year we are up to Group Class and off his time of his Yarmouth race which was very fast on ground he hated and only 90% fit he should improve loads.
Runs in the 3.55 Newbury today.

With Sundae in opposition.

I would imagine it's not ideal them taking each other on but I'll certainly be keeping an eye on how he gets on.

Back