Thomas Baines

You're right:

"Riding suspensions of four days or less will not be effective on any days when Pattern Races divided into Group 1 or Grade 1 are programmed to take place in Great Britain as applicable to the type of licence held by the Jockey unless a Jockey requests that the provisions of this Paragraph should not apply."

I suspect had he barged his way out, it would have been classed as dangerous riding and issued more than a 4 day ban don't u think ?

You'll probably know better than me, but I was under the impression that stewards very very rarely rule something as "dangerous riding" rather than merely "careless riding".

You can understand if it crossed his mind. though - and isn't that what's supposed to happen? Isn't the deterrent of a suspension supposed to make jockeys think twice about making potentially dangerous moves during a race?

I just watched the race for the first time. It was an awful ride. Just at the two furlong maker he could easily have switched left and found a gap. Switching left was always going to give him his best chance of getting room. Instead he headed in towards the rail in the hope of an unlikely freebie where he wouldn't have to use the horse to get him out of trouble.

I've seen worse, but it wasn't faultless. Criticism is well justified.

You'll probably know better than me, but I was under the impression that stewards very very rarely rule something as "dangerous riding" rather than merely "careless riding".

You can understand if it crossed his mind. though - and isn't that what's supposed to happen? Isn't the deterrent of a suspension supposed to make jockeys think twice about making potentially dangerous moves during a race?

Rule 153 - Riding Offences

When a horse or its Rider has caused interference:-

A by dangerous riding in any part of a race the horse shall, on objection under Rule 170(iv) be disqualified

B by careless or improper riding or by accident in any part of a race the horse shall, on an objection under Rule 170 (iv) be placed behind the horse or horses with which it has interfered if the Stewards are satisfied that the interference improved its placing in relation to the horse or horses with which it interfered. If they are not so satisfied they shall overrule the objection and order that the placings shall remain unaltered.

Definitions:

• A Rider is guilty of dangerous riding if he causes serious interference by purposely interfering with another horse or rider or riding in a way which is far below that of a competent and careful Rider and where it would be obvious to such a competent and careful Rider that riding in that way was likely to endanger the safety of a horse or Rider.

• A Rider is guilty of careless riding if he fails to take reasonable steps to avoid causing interference or causes interference by inattention or misjudgement, including when manoeuvring for position.

• Improper riding whether mounted or dismounted covers cases of improper use of the whip or intentionally striking other Riders or horses, and may include other forms of misconduct in the course of riding such as riding that would be dangerous as defined above but for the fact that it did not cause serious interference.

• Penalties range from a caution to 28 days.

A shade misleading IMO. As far as I can see, he was always going to struggle for room within 200 yards of the stalls. To suggest that he had ample room to manouvre during the first half of the race is misleading I would suggest. To add to that, the horse looked to take quite a keen grip, particularly during the early part of the race.

All very easy to slag off Spencer, but I for one would certainly rather see him get a warning from the stewards for failing to ride out sufficiently than see him endanger both horses and riders by trying to barge through a non-existant gap. Hands were tied to a large degree in this particular case IMO.

fully agree here. watched race a couple of times now and even though it does look dodgy, not sure what else he could have done bar PRETENDING he is shuffing a bit ...

Looking at his first race Spencer does a good job of not letting him drift out to the left, which he seems very keen to do. Maybe he had that in mind and was trying to keep some cover on his left hand side. If that was the case I imagine he would have mentioned it in the RP article though.

Goes on every day though check Culhane last night at Bath on Artistic Licence, shocker. Jamie also mentioned on ATR at least the "BHA isn't run by idiots" and they can see beyond this (oh they sure do save alot of bacon), he was trying to have a dig at people complaining

22 Apr 2009:
Jamie Spencer has described criticism of his ride on Thomas Baines in a ride in Windsor as a 'load of bullshit'
quote guardian racing

I cant understand why so many punters cry like little girls every time Spencer gets beaten on an odds on shot.

Back