Thursday

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
What do you all fancy?

I'll start...

No bet but I want to see the American win by 5 lengths just to get it right up the jingoists.

I think Take The HInt looks a good thing.

I trust AOB will have Yeats on song. Home and hosed.

The Hunt Cup made it look like lows were massively favoured but ther's a lot of pace far side here. I still think lows will prevail and River Captain might get it quite easy out in front in spite of the numbers. I rate Secret Society the big danger and respect several others, naturally enough. If the pace far side is strong enough to put them in front, I reckon Tartan Gunna might emerge the best at a huge price but plenty of respect for several others too.

Nothing between Fremantle and Monitor Closely on my figures but expect significant improvement from the former.

Strikes me as a slightly below par renewal and my four against the field are Polly's Mark, Barwell Bridge, Lasso The Moon and Chiberta King. The last-named has the best draw and is the one I fancied most anyway so he's the main bet but LTM lost at least ten lengths at the start last time and finished strongly. I'm concerned about a woman jockey (rode last time) but if the combo break on fairly level terms it might not be an issue.

3.45 Weak field, I don't even think Yeats has to run to his best. Good price too.

4.55 Freemantle to improve and win, I agree. I like the look of the Cashelgar at bigger prices too.

I like Freemantle alot, but I am a little worried that he first missed the Derby and is now being aimed at this race rather than a bigger target. Maybe they are being patient with him but I wouldnt take too short a price.

I thought he would have been a shoo-in for the King Edward VII Stakes, but they're sending Black Bear Island there and Freemantle gets in to this without a penalty. Could just be smart placement?

What is Totally Devoted doing in the Ribblesdale when she could have run in a maiden at Leopardstown today or a more obvious Sandringham attempt earlier in the week>?

Godolphin are massive pricks in my book after this week but Emirates Roadshow is a huge price, he's seemingly well drawn and put two very solid performances in this season.

This is the most unappealing day of the meeting for me.

Think Chiberta King represents some strong handicap form in the last. Petrovsky and Clowance two interesting middle-distance handicappers themselves and they were brushed aside with something in hand by Chiberta King last time, the 3 10 lengths clear. Not sure his new mark is enough to stop him if he handles the step up in grade but I like his draw and he should be able to sit wherever Buick wants.

Like the shape of the 10f listed race because I am not yet convinced about the Dante form. Four Winds looks to have been laid out for this by all accounts and his form looks solid, High Heeled and Father Time not having let it down whilst the fourth and fifth have also come out and won in listed company. May have a quirk or two, but what horse in those colours doesn't and I thought he should be more like clear second fav.

Certainly has the scope to improve significantly alright, EC1; wouldn't put you off backing him.

I've had a small E/W bet on Eastern Empire.

Yes and well done Songsheet!

I got a great run for my money from Secret Society (ew) and River Captain (win).

Poor tactics Freemantle.I'd like to see some peoples BF accounts.Didn't back myself,plumped for an e/w.beaten a long way out.poor.

Not really the good horses were all dropped out on a slow pace and a couple got no run.

I personally feel in time Sans frontieres, Glass Harmonium, and Native Ruler will emerge as the best horses which ran in the Dante.

Mosse never stopped riding, Moore had whip in right hand and pulled him out as soon as he edged right.

I've seen 100 incidents worse than that and nothing has been done.

Not really the good horses were all dropped out on a slow pace and a couple got no run.

I personally feel in time Sans frontieres, Glass Harmonium, and Native Ruler will emerge as the best horses which ran in the Dante.

How does that make the Dante form anything other than "all over the place" - you're agreeing that it's a poor guide for the relative merits of the horses involved!

Reverse the placings! We've got FF to beat!

Get our on-course spooking team into the stewards room.

Last edited:
Mosse never stopped riding, Moore had whip in right hand and pulled him out as soon as he edged right.

I've seen 100 incidents worse than that and nothing has been done.

Never said he didn't stop riding or it should be overturned, but to suggest there wasn't interference and the stewards shouldn't look into it would not be right.

Back