Time to Give Up?

• Thread starter Thread starter numbersix
  • Start date Start date
Unfortunately I just made the same old mistake on the Gosden filly at Folkestone. Followng his treble yesterday I thought she looked a shoe in. ..... today I backed Anne Of Kiev due to stable form, her clear advantage on OR and RPR and a decent draw.

And booooom! I think that exemplifies what I spoke of yesterday - the feeling of miserable luck when logic has no place. Part of me said lay her as there have been 4 odds on winners in a row over two days and the laws of averages said one was due to get beat, but when I studied the form she seemed a shoe in.

Here is the crux of the matter numbersix. Looking at the *form* more carefully, to work out what her chances were, rather than just at the bare figures, you would have noticed that those figures don't tell the whole story - Anne Of Kiev's best two runs [of only 3] were on the A/W. {I was standing by the horsewalk btw when she came in last time out at GLs, and I can tell you she was well beaten and Frankie's face was like thunder...}

Cox's filly on the other hand had a good chance, just as good a chance, in the *conditions*, which suited her.

I was teased a lot last year when I was always going on about FCTs and RFCTs - but as Martin and Warbler have both pointed out, in a race like that they are the only thing which makes sense. The odds on Anne Of Kiev were ridiculous; and either way the FCT went you stood to get your money back imo - and if it went the way it did, to do quite well.

Last edited:
I agree HS, and if Anne of Kiev had been sent of 1/2 at Folkeston 24 hours earlier I would have confidently laid her - problem is the bitter experience of laying 24 hours earlier had totally clouded my judgment.

BTW I forgot to add I backed Effort, ignoring the drift to 9/4 from 5/4 and radical going chance, and focusing instead on OR advantage over the Hannon backed winner. So I deserve everything I got.

But thanks everyone for the advice I shall try to take it on board!

LOL numbersix! - but at least you have taken a step back, identified the problem, asked for comments, and are taking steps to get back on track. good luck to you!

I was thinking about the last few months again today, and recalled people saying on here that there seems to be an increasing number of people on the forums bemoaning there luck.

With the jumps slowly getting into full string again today I was wondering if the Flat is the problem and whether one of the reasons might be the talent (or lack of it) of the current crop of flat jockeys?

Over the sticks we are blessed with a whole host of talented pilots many of whom are as reliable as you like when asked to push home a talented horse in front. I am thinking Ruby Walsh, Tony McCoy, Barry Geraghty (hopefully rejuvenated at Seven Barrows), Timmy Murphy, Richard Johnson, Sam Thomas, Choc Thornton, Davy Condon, Denis O'Regan, Graham Lee, Noel Fehily, Tom O'Brien, Paul Carberry, Nina Carberry, David Casey, Davy Russell. Add to that fledgling talents like Aidan Coleman, Shane Jackson and Felix De Giles and you have a list of 19 jockeys you could say will get it right considerably more often than not. I know some of these jocks will not be everyone's cup of tea, but in the main if they do make a howler, it will be a long time before the next one, and they will reward supporters handsomely in between.

Are there 19 jockeys on the flat riding today you could honestly say you would feel totally relaxed that they will give your horse the best possible ride 9 times out of 10? I think back to the jockeys down the years such as Steve Cauthen, Pat Eddery, Lester Piggott, Willie Carson, Joe Mercer, Walter Swinburn, Cash Asmussen, Yves St Martin, and Kieran Fallon. I then struggle to think of any riders today who would deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as any of those listed. Mick Kinane and Frankie Dettori have been at the top in the past, but for the time being they seem to be less hungry and certainly not as sharp as in previous years. Johnny Murtagh is about the only one I would say is in a similar class to those mentioned. I like Spencer but he is a bit in and out. Other than that there are no flat jockeys that I can honestly say if there name was next to my intended selection I would feel totally confident - and unsurprisingly I have to include Ryan Moore in that category as some of his hold up rides do leave a lot to be desired.

Anyway, day 1 of not betting over. Hopefully by the time I resume in a month the jumps will be well under way and some early trends surfacing!

I was thinking about the last few months again today, and recalled people saying on here that there seems to be an increasing number of people on the forums bemoaning there luck.

With the jumps slowly getting into full string again today I was wondering if the Flat is the problem and whether one of the reasons might be the talent (or lack of it) of the current crop of flat jockeys?

Over the sticks we are blessed with a whole host of talented pilots many of whom are as reliable as you like when asked to push home a talented horse in front. I am thinking Ruby Walsh, Tony McCoy, Barry Geraghty (hopefully rejuvenated at Seven Barrows), Timmy Murphy, Richard Johnson, Sam Thomas, Choc Thornton, Davy Condon, Denis O'Regan, Graham Lee, Noel Fehily, Tom O'Brien, Paul Carberry, Nina Carberry, David Casey, Davy Russell. Add to that fledgling talents like Aidan Coleman, Shane Jackson and Felix De Giles and you have a list of 19 jockeys you could say will get it right considerably more often than not. I know some of these jocks will not be everyone's cup of tea, but in the main if they do make a howler, it will be a long time before the next one, and they will reward supporters handsomely in between.

Are there 19 jockeys on the flat riding today you could honestly say you would feel totally relaxed that they will give your horse the best possible ride 9 times out of 10? I think back to the jockeys down the years such as Steve Cauthen, Pat Eddery, Lester Piggott, Willie Carson, Joe Mercer, Walter Swinburn, Cash Asmussen, Yves St Martin, and Kieran Fallon. I then struggle to think of any riders today who would deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as any of those listed. Mick Kinane and Frankie Dettori have been at the top in the past, but for the time being they seem to be less hungry and certainly not as sharp as in previous years. Johnny Murtagh is about the only one I would say is in a similar class to those mentioned. I like Spencer but he is a bit in and out. Other than that there are no flat jockeys that I can honestly say if there name was next to my intended selection I would feel totally confident - and unsurprisingly I have to include Ryan Moore in that category as some of his hold up rides do leave a lot to be desired.

Anyway, day 1 of not betting over. Hopefully by the time I resume in a month the jumps will be well under way and some early trends surfacing!

Jim Crowley, Stephen Drowne or Eddie Creighton.

thats such a bollox post Chris...really surprised at you

there are many highly regarded odds on shots that lose

blanket support of any sire on a set going they are supposed to excel on is a one way street to the poor house..lazy punting at it's worse to boot

horses running off the same mark aren't exactly good bets either

thanking someone in that way for taking their money is awful arrogance

aftertiming..just thrown in as well..ouch

Only just seen this;

firstly if someone comes on claiming they are doing this that and tother and giving up, they are opening the door for people to throw in suggestions, I personally think NUmbersix took a defeative attutude into Monday's racing.

Three people at least can vouch for the day I had Monday as they read my work and a couple saw me betting on track.

Simply you go on about my comments on Prescription, but I would rather stay with a stallion with a majority of horses proven on the ground. secondly to take a horses debut into consideration is dangerous, especially from a yard hardly reknowned for first time out winners.

Next of all, horses often get beat off the same mark, that is true in some accounts but not normally winners of Apprentice handicaps, which are boxed in, only get out 1f from the line and win 2L without the jockey moving a musscle, that clearly show's the horse is ahead of the grader.

I agree some highly regarded odds on shots lose, I won't doubt that but those are mainly with horses with ground to make up on figures or perhaps flattering debut's into strong maidens. Prescription had won a stronger race a week earlier yet was a staggering 8/11 early doors, on ground she is bred to handle and off the same handicap mark she won off a week prior in an absolute canter. To me it would have been far harder to find a case to lay her than to back her. If you go out with an opinion a horse should be x price, then I agree if it's shorter you should lay, but for me I thought she would be about 1/4 next time she ran after her race at Lingfield.

Secondly the other two races are interesting ones, Number Six was probably right in assessment to take on Red Spider at 4/6 despite it winning on debut, however the place market probably would have shown him a better ew bet.

Ave's race was an awful lay for me, you have 3 horses in the betting, which tells you there are three triers. You have 2 badly drawn and one well drawn, one rode handily on debut, one held up , one unraced. You also have then the factor of one with Group 1 entries, 2 without. Kempton has consistantly shown you need to be ridden on the pace and with stalls 4 and 1, the 2nd and 3rd in the market would be unlikely to go handy, therefore I would say, the laying of Ave was a weird as she had so much in her favour.

You may call me arrogant EC1 and I probably wouldn't disagree with you, but I don't think there is anything wrong with arrogance. After all to speak your mind and believe in your own reasoning is in fact a form of arrogance, you say its wrong to thank someone for laying you a winner, but do you say ul to a loser in a poker game, yes you do and for that matter you have technically thanked them for money. It's the same, my point to Number 6 was I thought all three lays were desperate lays, ones had he spent time looking at the races he would have never done.

Today I was going to lay Purple Moon but I never because I was worried that he was the best horse in the race, this was although knowing he should come on for the run, need further and want slower ground.

To stand a bet you have to be brave, to stake a bet you have to be braver and feel you are getting value.

I chat to some people on here via email, facebook and Msn and all will tell you that I am very open, perhaps too open. I don't mislead people and I tell stuff as I see, but I have my own opinion, and I believe in my own opinion, which is why I may sound arrogant. I accept people's views and I'm keen to learn and respect those whom I feel are knowledgable and are worth knowing. There are alot of intelligent people on this forum who don't say much and come accross less intelligent than they are. For example, in the brief time I've known Rory he opened up a whole new concept of betting for me and a way of looking at races, I feel hs input in certain areas vital and rewarding at time. As do I value Shadow Leader's opinion on many aspects of racing as like me her history with horses is wide and knowledgable. There are others like Mounty who puts up constructive posts and in many regards Gallileo, David Johnson and Irish Stamp who all seem rather well connected or good form readers.

Ec1 your point that I was rude was wrong, I simply stated in a cheeky way, that if your going to lay a horse just because its odds on then in my opinion you deserve to lose. You have to study at this game and study hard. Everyone has losing days, some big some small. It doesn't matter though, its about learning from mistakes. From reading previous posts of Number 6's I have never considered him a rash gambler but from his post about Monday he sounded to use a rash approach to betting, which will leave most of the times in the creek without a paddle.

Of course debates about jockeys become very subjective, very quickly, and indeed passionate. However, given the list of names past and present I have presented, I really do struggle to place Messrs Crowley, Drowne and Creighton up there with those mentioned. Drowne's strike rate for the past 5 seasons is less than 10%. I would be unfair to draw too many conclusions yet about Eddie Creighton however he has hardly set the world on fire thus far, and promises no more than William Buick for instance. Jim Crowley as you have said has made a successful switch in codes, and has shown steady progression, but his strike rates are no better than Drowne's.

I stumbled across the RP Flat Season Stats pull out the other week and you had Cauthen and Eddery enjoying 20% and 25% strike rates, and Eddery steering home 31% of Guy Harwood's animals, and Cauthen 41% of Cecil's. To me we don't seem to have jockeys riding today who can produce such impressive levels of form - certainly not since Fallon went missing.

Granted, I am probably jaded and talking out of my pocket to an extent, but I wondered if anyone else felt the standard of flat riders had gone down in recent years, whereas the complete opposite seems to have happened over the sticks.

Of course debates about jockeys become very subjective, very quickly, and indeed passionate. However, given the list of names past and present I have presented, I really do struggle to place Messrs Crowley, Drowne and Creighton up there with those mentioned. Drowne's strike rate for the past 5 seasons is less than 10%. I would be unfair to draw too many conclusions yet about Eddie Creighton however he has hardly set the world on fire thus far, and promises no more than William Buick for instance. Jim Crowley as you have said has made a successful switch in codes, and has shown steady progression, but his strike rates are no better than Drowne's.

I stumbled across the RP Flat Season Stats pull out the other week and you had Cauthen and Eddery enjoying 20% and 25% strike rates, and Eddery steering home 31% of Guy Harwood's animals, and Cauthen 41% of Cecil's. To me we don't seem to have jockeys riding today who can produce such impressive levels of form - certainly not since Fallon went missing.

Granted, I am probably jaded and talking out of my pocket to an extent, but I wondered if anyone else felt the standard of flat riders had gone down in recent years, whereas the complete opposite seems to have happened over the sticks.

I am with Rory on strike rates they mean nothing. A jockey rides 6 races at a meet, and 4 rides may be on utter rubbish that if they weren't a journey man they wouldn't be riding.

You will rarely see Johnny Murtagh, Dettori, Spencer or Ryan Moore for that matter taking rides on 33/1 outsiders with little hope but those are the main core of horses the jockey's I highlighted have to ride.

Your question was when you back a certain jockey who doesn't get you nervous or worried.

So I answered truthfully. Eddie Creighton was a jockey whom I've had major differences with in the past, over riding my own horses and his negativity in the saddle, however after 2 years in the background and a sudden emmergence as Channon's number one (when top jocks are not available) he has appeared to me as one you want on your side. He is now a strong pilot who gives his all and is a great reader of a race. He has a racing brain and is strong in a finish. His record on Atlantic Sport highlights his credibility over Richard Hughes and AS is no easy ride.

Stephen Drowne is probably the most honest jockey in the weighing room. A good pair of hands, a balanced style and capable if the horse is good enough. he is no bully in a finish but he is conservative and gives horses a good honest ride. On 2yo's he rides very well and whilst on debut they wont get the kitchen sink, he is one jockey to get off and tell you an honest opinion of a horse, to which in credit helps immensely as an owner. Also as a punter you know, he will give your bet every chance.

Jim Crowley for me is deadly from the front. An excellent clock on top, he gets horses into a good stride and knows how to get the best out of a horse without resorting to the stick. He also is strong in a finish, watch his reigns when driving, there is no flapping and he is very streamlined, head balanced halfway up the neck, with your shoulders level with the ears, this maintains maximum drive and keeping your upper body at 90 degrees means you are fully streamlined moving with the horse, increasng balance and ability to keep the horse on the right leg and going forward.

That may sound technical, but thats why i value each of those three.

I was a massive fan of Pat Eddery's but anyone who was punting in the 80's will tell you he certainly wasn't at all reliable when the average punters were on, especially if they were betting each way or in placepots. That comment goes in spades for Cash Asmussen who was almost run out of Ireland by the on course punters.

I must say, Chris has put some comedy names up ~ all are ultra reliable when it comes to riding to orders which is important, but none are exactly legends of the game. You might as well put up Tim Sprake for greatest jockey. I'd have to agree with numbersix that the only jockey hitting the heights in terms of brilliance and reliability this season is Johnny Murtagh. I'd also disagree about the NH jockeys though ~ we did hit a purple patch a few years ago when half a dozen jockeys were riding with tremendous skill, but none of those, including Ruby Walsh and A P McCoy, are doing the job at the top of their game consistently any more. Some certainly seem to have their minds elsewhere for large swathes of the jumps season (step forward Barry Geraghty).

Only just seen this;

firstly if someone comes on claiming they are doing this that and tother and giving up, they are opening the door for people to throw in suggestions, I personally think NUmbersix took a defeative attutude into Monday's racing.

Three people at least can vouch for the day I had Monday as they read my work and a couple saw me betting on track.

Simply you go on about my comments on Prescription, but I would rather stay with a stallion with a majority of horses proven on the ground. secondly to take a horses debut into consideration is dangerous, especially from a yard hardly reknowned for first time out winners.

Next of all, horses often get beat off the same mark, that is true in some accounts but not normally winners of Apprentice handicaps, which are boxed in, only get out 1f from the line and win 2L without the jockey moving a musscle, that clearly show's the horse is ahead of the grader.

I agree some highly regarded odds on shots lose, I won't doubt that but those are mainly with horses with ground to make up on figures or perhaps flattering debut's into strong maidens. Prescription had won a stronger race a week earlier yet was a staggering 8/11 early doors, on ground she is bred to handle and off the same handicap mark she won off a week prior in an absolute canter. To me it would have been far harder to find a case to lay her than to back her. If you go out with an opinion a horse should be x price, then I agree if it's shorter you should lay, but for me I thought she would be about 1/4 next time she ran after her race at Lingfield.

Secondly the other two races are interesting ones, Number Six was probably right in assessment to take on Red Spider at 4/6 despite it winning on debut, however the place market probably would have shown him a better ew bet.

Ave's race was an awful lay for me, you have 3 horses in the betting, which tells you there are three triers. You have 2 badly drawn and one well drawn, one rode handily on debut, one held up , one unraced. You also have then the factor of one with Group 1 entries, 2 without. Kempton has consistantly shown you need to be ridden on the pace and with stalls 4 and 1, the 2nd and 3rd in the market would be unlikely to go handy, therefore I would say, the laying of Ave was a weird as she had so much in her favour.

You may call me arrogant EC1 and I probably wouldn't disagree with you, but I don't think there is anything wrong with arrogance. After all to speak your mind and believe in your own reasoning is in fact a form of arrogance, you say its wrong to thank someone for laying you a winner, but do you say ul to a loser in a poker game, yes you do and for that matter you have technically thanked them for money. It's the same, my point to Number 6 was I thought all three lays were desperate lays, ones had he spent time looking at the races he would have never done.

Today I was going to lay Purple Moon but I never because I was worried that he was the best horse in the race, this was although knowing he should come on for the run, need further and want slower ground.

To stand a bet you have to be brave, to stake a bet you have to be braver and feel you are getting value.

I chat to some people on here via email, facebook and Msn and all will tell you that I am very open, perhaps too open. I don't mislead people and I tell stuff as I see, but I have my own opinion, and I believe in my own opinion, which is why I may sound arrogant. I accept people's views and I'm keen to learn and respect those whom I feel are knowledgable and are worth knowing. There are alot of intelligent people on this forum who don't say much and come accross less intelligent than they are. For example, in the brief time I've known Rory he opened up a whole new concept of betting for me and a way of looking at races, I feel hs input in certain areas vital and rewarding at time. As do I value Shadow Leader's opinion on many aspects of racing as like me her history with horses is wide and knowledgable. There are others like Mounty who puts up constructive posts and in many regards Gallileo, David Johnson and Irish Stamp who all seem rather well connected or good form readers.

Ec1 your point that I was rude was wrong, I simply stated in a cheeky way, that if your going to lay a horse just because its odds on then in my opinion you deserve to lose. You have to study at this game and study hard. Everyone has losing days, some big some small. It doesn't matter though, its about learning from mistakes. From reading previous posts of Number 6's I have never considered him a rash gambler but from his post about Monday he sounded to use a rash approach to betting, which will leave most of the times in the creek without a paddle.

Chris

I have every respect for you...thats why I was a little shocked at what appeared a smug posting to someone who was going through a bad time

the cheeky bit never really comes across like that.. without me really knowing you better than I do it's really hard through this medium to read just how a posting is meant to read.

Like I say..I were a bit put out on behalf of someone else...as it happens..that person didn't care so I have put mesen out for nowt anyway.

no hard feelings Chris anyway..thanks for your honest and full response...hope no offence taken at your end.

:cool:

I think Cash Asmussen happened to join MVOB just as the star was really in the descendant. I must admit I had a potentially lucrative E/W double Ravinella/Caerwent for the 88 Guineas - 4s and 33s respectively. Boy did I wish Cash instead of John Reid was aboard that day! Once Cash teamed up with Niarchos and Boutin he proved himself top class.

I would agree to an extent with your comments about the likes of Walsh/McCoy, however I still find that more often than not they do the business on the sorts of races I will bet in - McCoy was brilliant on the selling hurdler yesterday at Sedgefield!

I started betting in 1987 which coincided with Eddery's first full season as Abdulla's retained rider. For me in my first years betting he was a pilot who always seemed to provide me with a source of winners.

Back to Chris, I can't argue with most of what you say, however whilst Drowne maybe a good jockey for educating young horses, punters need something else, and I have found he comes up short on occasions when aboard the Charlton animals owned by the likes of Abdulla and Nielsen when well backed and embroiled in a battle for the line. As you said this probably betrays lack of strength in a finish, which is why I would think twice about backing a horse he was riding. Having said that I thought it was an abysmal decision to replace him with Dettori on Clowance - he has shown great loyalty to Charlton and deserved to ride his best chance yet of winning an English Classic.

Just to clarify the ongoing debate with EC and Chris - yes out of months of losing I did make a conscious decision to lay the odds on shots on Monday. This backfired on me, however in all three cases I was motivated by having previously lost heavily on precisely those sorts of races - ie. odds on shots that are 2yo debutants; on a hatrick in the soft, and any odds on shot trained by Stoute in a maiden!

I think on 70% + of the time I would have won at least 1 from the 3 lays but as my luck is so abysmal it simply wasn't to be.

Back to Chris, I can't argue with most of what you say, however whilst Drowne maybe a good jockey for educating young horses, punters need something else, and I have found he comes up short on occasions when aboard the Charlton animals owned by the likes of Abdulla and Nielsen when well backed and embroiled in a battle for the line. As you said this probably betrays lack of strength in a finish, which is why I would think twice about backing a horse he was riding. Having said that I thought it was an abysmal decision to replace him with Dettori on Clowance - he has shown great loyalty to Charlton and deserved to ride his best chance yet of winning an English Classic.

Interesting point,

This is where the problem lies, these type of owners have no desire or need to bet, so their horses won't get a thrashing, off Drowny as he rides conservatively. However I don't personally think thrashing 8 times with a whip makes a blind bit of difference on a majority of horses. It's about keeping them balanced and on the right leg, something a lot of jockeys can't do without a stick, let alone with one. A whip is good for a skilled jockey, but an apprentice in a finish would be far better riding hands and heels, I prefer a jockey driving than flapping, which is what alot of jocks do.

I don't believe thrashing with the whip is a guide to saddle strength. The weakest rider can abuse a horse. However, I think there is little doubt some jockeys are stronger in a driving finish than others - Fallon being the prime exponent. Sometimes horses respond to the whip, but the whip is not an end in itself.

A race of Drowne's that springs to mind is back in April at Newmarket when he was beaten a head on Melodramatic - I felt that a stronger jockey would have won that. Gallingly Dane O'Neill won that day, but then when I followed O'Neill on Danae next time out when well fancied to follow up, he was turned over!!! Is it any wonder I have ended up confused, bemused, and mentally jaded!!!

Back