Timeform Best Ever Lists

Can anyone tell me Timeform's top-rated filly/mare? I've an old book and at the time of publishing their top-rated flat filly was Star Of India (again, who?) on 138, followed by Allez France, Habibti and Texana on 136.

Further to my earlier posting Windy City was the fastest juvenile ever to be trained in Ireland and the only horse to head the free handicaps in England, Ireland and France. Won the Phoenix Plate by eight lengths and the Gimcrack by five. When sent to California he was second in the Santa Anita Derby. Highly strung with brilliant speed.

Triptych, Timeform's top-rated British or Irish filly or mare of the past century was Pretty Polly rated 137 in 1904 and 1905.

Star Of India is in fact rated 10th best of the 2-y-o fillies at 126 in 1955.

Timeform have always overrated two year old`s. Celtic Swing is the best recent example, so i doubt Windy City was that good.

One of the thing`s i love about Timeform is their recognition of greatness by horses not generally thought to be such, mainly due to nostalgia bollocks.
The JUST and FAIR ratings of Dubai Millenium (decried by some idiots mainly because he didn`t win a "sexy" race) and Generous (139) warms by heart.

Interesting to see the ratings of Moscow and Best Mate...i had no idea what these were having never bought their chasers and hurdlers annual.

My pride and joy

PIC_0003.jpg

Dubai Millenium was vastly over rated and would never have beaten Montjeu over 10 furlongs or more.

Originally posted by SteveM@Nov 28 2005, 09:09 PM
Triptych, Timeform's top-rated British or Irish filly or mare of the past century was Pretty Polly rated 137 in 1904 and 1905.

Star Of India was in fact rated 10th best at 126 in 1955.
My old book is not only old then but extremely wrong. :rolleyes:

Star of india was rated 138 by Timeform in 1955 .She was unbeaten in 5 starts as a two years old.She didn´t trained on and her only race the following year was an unplaced effort in the King´s stand.
Your old book is absolutely right.

Originally posted by PDJ@Nov 28 2005, 09:21 PM
Dubai Millenium was vastly over rated and would never have beaten Montjeu over 10 furlongs or more.
Bullshit. Change the ownership and you clowns would be in the opposite camp.
What does "vastly" imply? He should have been rated 135? 130? What?

Like Luis, I'm pretty sure Star of India was rated 138 as a 2-y-o, yet another mad Timeform rating for a 1950s 2-y-o.

She was a full sister to High Treason, another very fast 2-y-o, who won the Nunthorpe at that age. He didn't train on either, and may not have raced beyond 2 years.

Dubai M's defeat of the mighty Sumitas and Almutawakel in the mud was nothing special while his win in Dubai against American 2nd raters was pretty similar but am no expert on dirt racing.

True Timeform originally rated Star Of India 138 in 1955, but she has subsequently been demoted to 126, as to quote Portway Press (1999) the claim that "Star of India was the greatest filly of any age to race in Europe since World War II... flatters her considerably, as she never beat a high-class rival or won a race that is now a Pattern event".

She now rates tenth among the 2-y-o fillies and outside the top fifty for fillys all told. The list is now led by Pretty Polly 137, Allez France 136, Sun Chariot 136, Sceptre 135, Dahlia 135, Pebbles 135 and Coronation 135.

Originally posted by Galileo@Nov 28 2005, 10:10 PM
Dubai M's defeat of the mighty Sumitas and Almutawakel in the mud was nothing special while his win in Dubai against American 2nd raters was pretty similar but am no expert on dirt racing.
As opposed to a beating by the turf monster that is John's Call?

Irish Stamp not sure what your trying to say? If your trying to devalue American Turf horses your on to the wrong guy!!

You are talking about Randall and Morris adjustments of Timeform ratings. Even though they are published by Portway Press , they don´t belong to Timeform group and their opinions have nothing to do with Timeform firm .

Originally posted by Galileo@Nov 28 2005, 10:10 PM
First of all that victory in the mud was in DM`s three year old season, when he was only rated 132. Incidently Behrens, the "second rater" he destroyed the following year in Dubai was rated 130 in 1999 and was joint top older horse in the States that year.

Behrens ran 12 times in Grade 1 company and only won 3 of them. In one of them he beat the mighty Running Stag by half a lenght and in his most impressive he beat Turf horses. Forgive me if I do not think too highly of the horse.

Originally posted by Galileo@Nov 28 2005, 10:19 PM
Irish Stamp not sure what your trying to say? If your trying to devalue American Turf horses your on to the wrong guy!!
I'm just pointing out that whilst Dubai Millennium beat sub-standard US horses, Montjeu was beaten by sub-standard US horses.

The adjustments were made to reflect adjustments to the universal scale to bring a century of performances into alignment Luis. And rather than having nothing to do with Timeform have everything to do with with Timeform. Indeed Timeform/Portway Press are specifically credited with their "valuable co-operation in the publication".

I'm just pointing out that whilst Dubai Millennium beat sub-standard US horses, Montjeu was beaten by sub-standard US horses.

With respect surely that is pointless? Your referring to DM defeat of a poor American horse when DM was at his peak yet Montjeu was clearly stones below his best in the race you are reffering to. I prefer to look at Montjeu's defeats of runners up Fantastic Light, the Japan Cup winner El Condor Pasa,Sendawar etc

Back