Timeform

PRICEWISE2008

At the Start
Hi folks,

I have just begun dabbling with Timeform..Downloading the odd racecard ect ect. Would any of you guys have any advise on / opinions of using Timeform? Am a relatively inexperienced punter, but am keen to learn as much as I can..Would appreciate any feedback from users Timeform, be it positive or negative.

I only buy Chasers & Hurdlers, so have a limited view of their actual product range, but I here the staff in Halifax are super-duper-duper clever..............you know the type..................clear-plastic sandals, flares and bri-nylon tanktops....................huge goggles...........drink soup from a flask.................big over-bite...............apparently they're all like that.............so I've heard anyway.

Serious advice ~ don't follow their ratings blind as the master ratings are not adjusted for the specific race, merely for the relative weights carried. Perspective is very good indeed, and you can download the latest Perspective comments for free at Form.Horseracing.Betfair.com

A horse (let's call him Cally Bonn) is rated 150 by Timeform for his two wins at three miles on soft and heavy ground over fences, but he has run three times at two miles and put up much more modest performances. Timeform may individually rate his performances at shorter trips with much lower figures (eg 117, 124, 119) since he shows that he is an inferior horse when not given a stamina test, but his Master Rating will still be 150. That is usually based on a weight of 12-0 carried.

If he then runs over two miles on fast ground carrying 11-4, then the rating which appears for him will be 160 (150 + 10 for the pounds less than 12-0 carried) despite the conditions of the race being such that he would be expected to post a performance closer to 130. Timeform ratings as published on racecards are simply their overall rating of the horse's best form adjusted for the weight carried. They do not rate the race, and it's important to understand that.

If you look closer, you will see individual ratings for previous performances with the trip and ground in shorthand and these should be looked at in order to make sense of what rating you would expect the horse to run to in today's conditions.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if that was what you meant. If I recall correctly they have a vague notice advising people of this in their race cards, but not in such admirably clear terms. :D

Back