Today's Racing.

Well I was going to go to Taunton, but discover that the bogey junctin 9 of the M40 has struck again!!! No reason why they should shut the A34 if the accidents on the motorway, (but they always seem to). Still haven't given up yet, but do wonder if the racing Gods are trying tell me something:blink:

I'm working on a theory that the 20/1 about the 5yo in the last could be a big price (we'll he'll be a 6yo in a week or so, and he is French so might be a bit further forward for staying hurdles than ours), based on the fact that his one run here over hurdles was at a distance well short of his optimum (16F his shortest career assignment to date). He was noted as catching the eye running on well at the end, (well considering he'd been campaigned in France at 2 and a half, he was entitled to). The race itself seems to have worked out well. The winner one NTO, the runner up won at Ludlow on his second. The 4th horse reopposes today on 18Ibs worse terms for an 8L margin having subsequently won twice since and is second in the RP tissue. There's a bit of French form that puts him 11L's behind Takeroc at Pau about 11 months ago, when he only received 7Ibs. If Wincanton FTO here was a sighter (RH, G/S, similar type of flat track with tightish turns) then today might have him spot on. In any event, at the longer distance he's weighted to reverse with I'm A legend, and that alone should making him value. I fear the Highways Agency might have done for me though.

Also mildly interested to see Skelton riding the Barber Findlay horse Gullible Gordon in the same race. He beat Kayf Aramis at Chepstow oin Saturday when Thomas rode, now where as the ploy might very well be to take 5Ibs off first and foremost, the two reoppose with Thomas riding for Venitia today

Also mildly interested to see Skelton riding the Barber Findlay horse Gullible Gordon in the same race. He beat Kayf Aramis at Chepstow oin Saturday when Thomas rode, now where as the ploy might very well be to take 5Ibs off first and foremost, the two reoppose with Thomas riding for Venitia today

I would hardly say Thomas RODE it last week, he gave it a shcoker at Chepstow, holding up a one paced horse and riding it for a turn of foot made me somewhat agree with Shadow's accessment of Thomas. Three words is all Nicholls needs to tell Skelton to get it home in front.

IN THE VAN !!!!

Note to Warbler that the French horse was beaten at least 11 lengths by Takeroc at Pau (for those who dabble in form lines). Been running at second rate tracks (in terms of quality) mind so it´s not like he´s been at the likes of Enghien and Auteuil which are the traditional hotbed of French jumping

Last edited:
Must say despite getting beat Sam Thoams gave everything on Big Fella Thanks and under such a good ride didn't deserve to lose. That horse looks a proper dog however.

I'm disgruntled. Thought Snoopy Loopy was a cracking each way bet, so backed it win only. From 5 out I thought the race was his. Beaten fair and square but I can't believe Monet's kept on as well as he did.

Boo.

Will definitely come on for the run Gal - did flatten out quite badly though when it came to the crunch.

Gaz's Way De Solzen mentioned elsewhere that he wasn't due out till after Christmas so likely that maybe they've brought him back too soon?

Will definitely come on for the run Gal - did flatten out quite badly though when it came to the crunch.

Gaz's Way De Solzen mentioned elsewhere that he wasn't due out till after Christmas so likely that maybe they've brought him back too soon?

Given how the horse was backed, given how he was niggled early on, I would not expect a great deal of improvement unless an injury surfaces and I certainly would not put his defeat down to lack of fitness.

No, coupled with a couple of lacklustre runs over fences last year it looks like business as usual. I can't see a way back into the big time for him.

Pricewise is usually backed in the morning though? He looked as though he was well backed just before the off.

Did anyone else see the ride Timmy Murphy just gave Press Gang???

MWDS since the Arkle:

"weakened approaching 3 out"

"eased and pulled up before 13th"

"tired last, wandered flat, headed towards finish"

"hung left before last, weakened run-in"

"ridden 8th, weakened approaching next"

"ridden and weakened 3 out, tailed off when pulled up before next"

Nothing if not consistent...

Laying MWDS could make for a very profitable season; he seems a horse who either has a physical problem or he has had enough.

Would you

a) persist with him more out of hope than anything else

b) try him one last time back over 2 miles (you never know...)

c) reminisce about his glory days at Cheltenham and retire him sound

Send him to a new trainer, probably in Ireland where there isn't a whole heap of competition in the chase scene. I'm not saying a change of scenery will work, I can't think of a prominent example where it has, but it might be worth a try.

Last edited:
The Pressgang one Gal?

Slightly concerned he didn't seem to want to push him through with the effort but IIRC the horse is a character.

The Pressgang one Gal?

Slightly concerned he didn't seem to want to push him through with the effort but IIRC the horse is a character.

A character for sure, but Murphy was taking a pull the whole way up the straight, went for a gap on the rail that was never there and then pulls out and does nothing. Did not he wave the whip at the horse.

I did not back it!!

Last edited:
Back