Today's racing.

It was a good ride. He kept having to give him time to straighten-up and then just apply enough pressure.

Quite upset about Tropical Straight, a very promising and genuine horse. Very upsetting for David esp having to deal with it right in front of the stands (and at Newbury where all his chums will be there commiserating). Awful for the lass or lad too - beign so close to it

The whole HIlls family are flying, no doubt the related facts that Barry seems to have recovered well from his cancer (inc his voice box is working really well) and the yard is going great guns again - better than ever!

He's been riding very astutely of late - what a shame, poor Ardross hasn't had an opportunity to keep dissing him!

This would be on the right thread if I had posted before midnight but what the hell, let's live dangerously.:o

Very smart performance by Main Aim in the sprint handicap at Newbury.

Any Given Day is an interesting recruit from the flat making his hurdling debut at Market Rasen today.

I had this strong, grey gelding down as an improving middle-distance handicapper to follow this season.

He has moved from David Simcock to Donald McCain, bit surprised to see him hurdling quite so early in the season.

Backed tropical strait yesterday and was just thinking what a nice race he had run first time out when his leg went i must say i felt very upset for the horse and his connections what a cruel game it can be at times.

Tom's Toybox

Had a small 80/20 on him today, he beat the eve money fav, but was still beaton into 2nd place but the winner was well backed. I think I have 2nd I'm not having much luck on the Naggs.:mad:

Thought i'd carry on this thread for today.

Sporting Life have Monsieur Chevalier as a forecast 4/5 - If he goes off anywhere near that he is a major bet for me. Early foal, been really impressive so far and now is the time to be having a good bet on this horse if the odds are right.

I don't have access right now (At work) but can anyone tell me the prices on big blue or elsewhere?

I did think Sporting Life was rather optimistic.

I would hope he might drift to 4/7 and i'd probably be willing to play at that price. Honestly, I just can't see him being beaten.

If there's any of the 8/11 about tommorrow morning (as per RP forecast) about Deutschland in the first at Punchestown tommorrow night, I'll be dusting off the old wheelbarrow and steaming in.

Salford City will absolutely detest the ground, Holly Tree isn't in this class (and probably wants further), and the same can be said for the remainder. I expect him to go off around 4/11 in fairness and any 8/11 would be like an early Christmas!

Interesting to see Sizing Europe out over fences tommorrow so late in the season as well.

Edit: Irish-racing.com tissues always worth a look (purely for the giggle); 5/4 Deutschland...

Last edited:
There's some really top quality racing on offer in Britain today, isn't there!?

Some Class 4s at Leicester, one Class 4 at Nottingham, Musselburgh and Yarmouth should hang their heads in shame as they offer us a mixture of Class 5s and 6s.

Did someone mention betting-shop fodder?

Desert Creek @ 2/1 looks awfully short for the Silver Bowl at Haydock today.

He has gone up 8lbs. after winning a Windsor handicap off a mark of 79, with heavy ground and plenty of dangers; he may well win, but I'm not interested at that sort of price.

Fareer still looks to be off a decent enough mark but the mile in this sort of ground may be stretching him a bit but good luck Songsheet.

Viva Ronaldo appeals at 25/1 in the Silver Bowl, although the trip in this ground is a bit of an unknown he got a poor ride behind Fareer last time out and gets a handy weights pull. Plenty of money for Thief of Time and bits and pieces for Set The Trend and Canwinn too, might throw a forecast together with those mentioned.

Before racing today Murtagh is +113.78 to level stakes since 2005 at The Curragh.He is deadly at the track and I expect him to have a good weekend.
Having said that my lay of the day is Air Marshall at odds on dropping down in trip from a 7 furlong maiden to a 5 furlong listed race.

Back