Today's racing.

D
Fareer still looks to be off a decent enough mark but the mile in this sort of ground may be stretching him a bit but good luck Songsheet.

Couldn't agree more - in that ground and a furlong too far - just guess they didn't want him up against the Hill's Hamdan horse in the earlier 7f race..who didn't run well anyway, I see....

... plus he was skittled all over the bluddy shop by two errant nags on the bend. I know he's pretty sturdy, but what crap riding in a quality race. You'll be delighted that RUK's presenter thought he looked really good, as a consolation. Under all of the circumstances conspiring against him today, he did very well to stick it out for 5th. The previous animal you mention ran a total stinker, so neh-neh-neh to that tactic!

4.10 Lingfield on Wednesday, interesting class 3 contest.

Early betting puts the lightly raced Mutheeb at the top of the market at 2/1. A winner of both his starts to date including a course win on his debut in a class 5 maiden when he was well supported to do so. Followed up this season in another 7f contest where he was a battling winner over Mia's Boy (MB went on to run a decent enough race at York next time out). Stepping up in class and down in trip, the 2/1 doesn't really appeal - out to 11/4 on Betfair already.

The 2nd fav at 11/4 is Strike The Deal. STD boasts arguabley the strongest formlines on offer, with runs this season behind Amour Propre & Utmost Respect. Well backed on both those occasions, this step down to class 3 is the first time STD has been seen outside class 1 company since his winning debut at Lingfield as a 2yo, over course & distance. Form from last time out was further boosted when the winner went on to further group success at the Curragh.

Valery Borzov won well last time out, but I can't seem to shake the nagging feeling that he is best suited to the conditions he encountered that day, plenty of give in the ground. Indeed the race before he came across Tamagin on fast ground at Newcastle and has around 9.5 lengths to make up on that one. Always worth bearing mind just how many of these sprinters Dandy has though, so he must have a formline for almost every runner in the race one way or another! Tamagin is nearly double the price of VB tomorrow and boasts course and distance form, a drawback for this front runner however must be his draw, 8 of 8. He may just use up a bit too much energy getting to the lead and set it up for something to pick him off down the straight.

Talking course form means we must mention Matsunosuke, a multiple course winner and a CD winner earlier this year with a short-head success over Duff. Some way behind STD earlier this month on turf, the A/W surface at Lingfield is the place if anywhere that he's likely to make up the ground. If Tamagin sets a strong pace Matsunosuke will doubtless sit at the back of the field and come home strongly down the straight. How many of his rivals he's able to pass is the question.

The field is made up with Eisteddfod, who has recaptured some form this year to run a couple of sound races, Diriculous, virtually pulled up behind VB last time out but will prefer the Lingfield surface and Nota Bene who arrives back from a couple of decent efforts in Dubai & I believe won this race from Tamagin last year when it was staged at Great Leighs.

So, what's our angle in the race?! I don't like the 2/1 about the favourite and it'll probably be bigger in the morning (only PP have priced up at the moment). Strike The Deal is bound to be supported and the 11/4 is now 5/2 with PP (asking for 5/2 on Betfair). I can see him going off fav around 7/4.

At bigger prices I like Matsunosuke & Nota Bene and may look for decent place only prices on these if all 8 go to post and maybe a fcast with STD, who will be carrying my selection for the win.

The odds on Strike The deal wins well enough at 10/11, good run from Nota Bene just behind the from 3 and another decent effort from Tamagin to rally for 2nd.

No withdrawals until Eisteddfod (16/1) burst the start gate so only a 5p R4, a massive all day plunge from 11/4 into odds on.

Good stuff Steve....

Plenty of quality racing tonight at Sandown and Leopardstown...any strong fanices anyone?

Have to be quick as I've got to get the train to London in just over an hour as I'm off to Sandown this evening.

I'm very very keen on Dunn'o in the last for Clive Cox. He's a dual course winner who was never going to do anything lto from his wide draw at Chester. He's clocked some decent times for me before, particularly his last win over C&D. He's well drawn and has Philip Robinson's assistance who will be very useful for this front running job. Not too sure how the hell he's 14/1, it's a very competitive race but I just can't find any reason to oppose him at all. His rivals all have question marks over absences, draws etc.

In the Brigadier Gerard, I think Pipedreamer and Conduit deserve to be at the top of the market but I wonder whether Pipedreamer quite gets a still 10f as well as some of these. Reading Stoute's comments, I suspect Conduit isn't going to be at his peak for this and he also is much better left handed seemingly. I like Staying On and Allied Powers but they do have the assistance of idiots. Cima De Triomphe should improve bundles for his run in France and the booking of Lemaire take the eye. At a big price, Steele Tango could sneak into a place.

I'd also take Border Patrol over the Gosden horse in the penultimate race.

Not really one for giving tips but i thik the 7/4 espiritu in the 3.40 yarmouth is massive and could go off odds on. Form of last race worked out well and the maiden he ran in behind kite wood he travelled like a machine to flatten out over 1m in soft todays ground will be perfect. Been waiting for this one a while

Surely Ashram is capable of much better than he showed in the Guineas? Think he is a decent price to bounce back tonight.

Fine performance from Conduit in defeat. Really baffled they didn't aim him at the Coronation Cup; I think he'd have hacked up in that.

The more I see of Conduit, the better I like him. Even after the Breeder's Cup I assumed that he would need a minimum of 12f and that talk of the Eclipse was madness. After tonight I wouldn't rule him out.

I'm very very keen on Dunn'o in the last for Clive Cox. He's a dual course winner who was never going to do anything lto from his wide draw at Chester. He's clocked some decent times for me before, particularly his last win over C&D. He's well drawn and has Philip Robinson's assistance who will be very useful for this front running job. Not too sure how the hell he's 14/1, it's a very competitive race but I just can't find any reason to oppose him at all. His rivals all have question marks over absences, draws etc.

Great call, quite a gamble from the 14's you called it at into 11/2, hope you remembered a wheelbarrow!

Not to forget:

I'd also take Border Patrol over the Gosden horse in the penultimate race.

Well done!

Last edited:
Very few early prices around for Friday as yet (it is only 1am I suppose!) but the 5/1 on Servoca in the 7.10 at Haydock would be the one I'd expect money to come for tomorrow, ran ok over 6f behind Bouvardia last time and the winner won well in a decent sprint at the weekend. May have been flattered by proximity to a progressive Cecil type, but I expect it to be shorter than 5's.

Musselburgh 8:20...Chookie Hamilton
Hat-trick seeking and very impressive this year,this horse should win easy as the rest of the field dont have much to offer.

Towcester 8:00...Alanna Castle
Towcester fly the flag for this National Hunt Novices' Hurdle and Alanna Castle ridden once again by A P McCoy can see off the oposition.

Very few early prices around for Friday as yet (it is only 1am I suppose!) but the 5/1 on Servoca in the 7.10 at Haydock would be the one I'd expect money to come for tomorrow, ran ok over 6f behind Bouvardia last time and the winner won well in a decent sprint at the weekend. May have been flattered by proximity to a progressive Cecil type, but I expect it to be shorter than 5's.

Went off joint fav at 7-2 but not competetive Reading the race report, certainly well supported though.

Kaldoun Kingdom in the York sprint supposedly won't go on the ground but the drop back to 5F is what catches the eye. A couple of times he's just not got home over 6F, and you can forget his last run as he was hampered and would have needed it. I feel he has as good a chance as any and the 18's knocking about is too big based on ground concerns alone.

Lots of losers there today, folks.

I was very impressed with Main Aim's seven length win in a Newbury handicap last time. Steps up to Group 3 today and is a bit skinny at around 2.2.

I'm trying to avoid the handicaps today, there are enough non-handicaps to keep me happy, but I did look at the York 5f. Heritage Handicap. On his run on Lingfield's Polytrack in March, when he finished last!!!, Stoneacre Lad appears to be reasonably well handicapped. He is the complete outsider of the field trained by Peter Grayson:blink: but a couple of quid at 46 might be worthwhile.

Back