Today's racing

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
I quite fancy Free Agent (119+) to beat the higher-rated Kite Wood (124), which strikes me as a disappointing type. Anything else will have to improve significantly.

Based on times alone, Red Jazz's run the time before last stands out so at 8/1 I think that's a bit of value.

I shortlisted Firebet, Changing The Guard, Union Island, Clerk's Choice and Lasso The Moon for this. CTG and UI came from the same race and Hanagan prefers Firebet to CTG. I have reservations about the reliability of CC's race and LTM is a bit dodgy (the jockey even more so but I'll have some sickness insurance on it anyway). Firebet's race at Ayr is working out very well so I'm on that one.

I reckon top-rated Campanologist's (133) season revolved around the Hardwicke so I'm taking him on here. Doctor Freemantle (131) appears to have his limitations so I'm going along with Duncan (132p) in the hope he can find a wee bit more again. I'll have half an eye on Schiaparelli (129+) on this seasonal debut.

Last edited:
I was impressed with Orpen Grey at Salisbury and think he can win the July Stakes whilst I am confident Loch Linnhe will win the 16.20.

I'll have half an eye on Schiaparelli (129+) on this seasonal debut.

He's an interesting one alright, althought probably more for the future if he shows any promise today.

I think Yuritani (2.00 Folkes) may be worth having a look at. Owned by Findlay, ridden by Culhane 1st time (odd for stable) - didn't look off a yard either but ran well (drifted in market). Possibly one to note in betting. (Haven't checked form of others mind).

Kite Wood is supposedly expected to put his disappointing Derby performance behind him, according to Godolphin. He may be worth a chance.

Otherwise, Duncan looks good to me in the 3.10.

I'm thinking Schiaparelli may be worth an investment at 13 on BF. Has anyone got an opinion on the ground after the first? Thanks

Interesting that, once again, horses from off the pace found it very hard to get involved. Kite Wood was certainly the best horse in the Bahrain Trophy, but it's worth monitoring throughout the course of the day.

Poorly, DO; didn't look to travel that enthusiastically through the race before failing to finish the race to any real effect. Finished fourth.

Orpen Grey ran a very good race there but ran into a good one in Arcano. First two pulled nicely clear of the third, who in turn was nicely clear of the fourth.

Wow, someone in camera shot fatter than Big Mac. And in a fecking safari suit as well.

SNF3108A_280_427890a.jpg

Poorly, DO; didn't look to travel that enthusiastically through the race before failing to finish the race to any real effect. Finished fourth.

Yeah, caught it on C4+1 just before the 2.35.

Delighted to have been on Firebet at best odds guaranteed. That race at Ayr is really working out well.

Princess of Wales's looks an intruiging contest from a tactical perspective. I've yet to be totally convinced about Campanologist's ability to truly stay a strongly-run mile and a half (especially on ground with more give than ideal), but Dettori may just get a relatively easy lead again today, in which case he may well be hard to peg back.

Will be very interesting to see how Schiaparelli is ridden, given that he seems the most likely to take Campanologist on, though I would think Dwyer will want Enroller handy.

Back