Tom George -Huntingdon

• Thread starter Thread starter numbersix
  • Start date Start date
N

numbersix

Just got home from having used my RUK free ticket at Huntingdon today. After the first couple of races I walked towards the oncourse betting shop to see a very keen Tom George running in and checking the colours on the RP Shop racecard for Chepstow. I found that he indeed had a runner (it was quite weird seeing the trainer having to check his own horse's colours!).

Unfortunately for me just as I discovered his runner (Secret Tune) had been backed from 16/1 into 9/2 the tapes went up. I watched with some annoyance as his animal was galvanised to get home by a typically inspired Sam Thomas. Mr George jumped the final two flights has he urged his one home - and no doubt filled his boots! I congratulated him as we left the shop, but I must admit it was with mixed feelings - very much the one that got away, and the Nicholls animal drifted most alarmingly (5/4 out to 5/2) - to quote McCririck "they knew".

I should have taken the hint earlier when Toulouse-Lautrec had run so gallantly after his long lay off, and looked for up the TG runners. After more hardship with Atouchbetweenacara just being done for race fitness in the 2.15, I decided it was time to jump the Tom George bandwagon with Tartak. What a beautiful, striking looking individual. I recalled Dick Pitman commenting on the horse's fine appearance at Newton Abbot on ATR, and seeing him in the flesh he really did stand out. So I had a few bob on at 3/1, and there was never really a moment's worry. I think Tartak is a horse who could be going places.

I must admit I had forgotten how bland a course Huntingdon is - it really fails to set the pulse racing in the same way a Hexham or an Exeter does - it lacks any spectacular views, and the facilities are somewhat basic and dated. Compare the stands at Huntingdon if you will with the Victorian splendour of Kelso with its open fires, and hopefully you get my drift. However it is a fair course and does attract a decent type of animal.

It is however with regret that I have to report that I think Nyborg Madrik sadly paid the ultimate price in Tartak's race. I hope Pip Hide was ok.

I must say well done to Secret Tune who is owned by Richard Davies, owner of the 21 Club in Cheltenham which is a favourite haunt for a lot of us during the Festival, Paddy Power etc etc. It was in the 21 Club where Sam Thomas celebrated the Gold Cup win last year, Conor Clarkson had his Kicking King celebrations and many jocks and trainers hang out over the Festival. Hopefully Rich will be able to see his horse race in Chellers soon. Well done to all.

PS They were concerned about the ground so I hadn't a shilling on.

Somebody wasn't concerned about the ground - 16s to 9/2!!! Looking at his flat form with the benefit of hindsight he was a shoe in! Hopefully TG has some success this year as he has threatened for some time but never really lit the blue touch paper this far.

I must say well done to Secret Tune who is owned by Richard Davies, owner of the 21 Club in Cheltenham which is a favourite haunt for a lot of us during the Festival, Paddy Power etc etc. It was in the 21 Club where Sam Thomas celebrated the Gold Cup win last year, Conor Clarkson had his Kicking King celebrations and many jocks and trainers hang out over the Festival. Hopefully Rich will be able to see his horse race in Chellers soon. Well done to all.

Ruby was there after Kauto Star's win last year too.

Back