Tony McCoy

Bar the Bull

At the Start
This is a very interesting article, from Greg Wood of the Guardian.

Mick Kinane was one of the most polished and professional jockeys Flat racing has seen during his 34 years in the saddle and his retirement last week was impeccably judged too. It is so difficult to judge the right moment to call it quits, but Kinane left us with the lasting memory of Sea The Stars winning the Arc. He concluded with an exclamation mark, when so many riders leave their final sentence hanging.
It is harder still for jump jockeys to get the timing right, since every ride they take could be the one that does the retiring for them. Mick Fitzgerald and, most obviously, Richard Dunwoody are two recent examples of outstanding riders whose careers ended with a shake of their doctor's head, something that, even now, Dunwoody seems to struggle to accept. His latest book was subtitled 10 Years Out Of The Saddle, which suggests that the day he was told to stop riding is still the one that defines his life.
If ever there has been a rider who deserves to go out at the top and of his own accord, it is Tony McCoy, which is why one of the more disturbing sights at Cheltenham on Saturday came as the horses returned to unsaddle after the first. At that very moment, McCoy was on the racecourse TV, riding a bumper winner on the Polytrack at Lingfield. It felt very wrong.
McCoy rode a treble at Lingfield, including the winner of a Grade Two novice chase, but it is hard to see how it is good for either McCoy or the sport as a whole if the most successful jockey in National Hunt history is in Surrey when the serious action is in the west country.
This is, of course, just one weekend, but as McCoy himself conceded in a ghosted newspaper column, "unless you are riding for Paul Nicholls or Nicky Henderson, it is tough even for a champion jockey to get on the good horses." He will be 36 in May and an ideal finale, when the time comes, would be to finish the Cheltenham Festival as leading jockey and then win the Grand National. At the moment, it is difficult to see him doing either any season soon, never mind both.
To some extent, this is McCoy's choice. The huge retainer he receives from JP McManus – the exact size of which has never been revealed but is rumoured to be anything up to £1m a year – will ensure that he will be one of the few jump jockeys to retire with his finances completely secure. And when you are getting that kind of money before even sitting on a horse, you go wherever you are required.
Nor could McCoy have imagined when he signed his contract with McManus that Nicholls and his principal jockey Ruby Walsh would come to dominate the sport at the top level so thoroughly or, for that matter, so rapidly.
McManus has an extraordinary number of horses with a wide variety of trainers, but surprisingly few that are good enough to compete in the championship events.
Binocular, touched off when favourite for last year's Champion Hurdle, is an obvious exception, but it is almost embarrassing to note that, despite having 130 individual runners in Britain alone this season, McManus's biggest money-earner in 2009-10 to date is Nostringsattached. And if you had forgotten about that one, don't feel too ashamed. It is a long time, after all, since he picked up £37,000 for winning the Summer Plate at Market Rasen in July.
Nicholls, meanwhile, is one of the few top-20 trainers who does not have horses in the green and gold in his yard. His dominance is hard-earned and richly deserved. There must be at least a chance, however, that one of the consequences will be that McCoy's brilliant career will fizzle out while everyone's attention is elsewhere.

I actually often thought that to myself as well, that whoever buys in J.P's horses for him does a very bad job and buys in an awful lot of dead wood. Surely to God with his financial backing the quality could be somewhat improved. When was his last stand out horse? Baracouda, Istabraq? He should have horses with major big race credentials every year!

What the hell is wrong with Tony McCoy riding a horse in a Bumper? So it was run on Polytrack - so what? Given that the grass going was extremely soggy that meeting, it was far kinder to the horses in the two Bumper races to have a go on that, than be perhaps disappointed by unnecessary toiling when still in their development stage. I'm sure any number of last-race Bumper winners faced with pot-holed, chewed-up slop would prefer to be given some confidence on a decent surface. Trials and tribulations and crashing falls can wait a bit longer. And yes, it was at Lingfield, where the writer might like to recall there was a very nice Class 3 race, very badly supported, but still a Class 3. So, what's the sly dig at McCoy about? What a very unnecessary remark to have made. And, in the context of Mick Kinane - a Flat jockey - irrelevant.

Not sure about that. Meade and Mullins have only recently received their first horses from him.

What a load of tripe from Greg Wood - was he still on the mend from his Derby Award celebrations when he wrote that or something?

I reckon if J.P. did give Paul Nicholls the money to buy for him you'd see him in the winners enclosure a lot more.

Not sure about that. Meade and Mullins have only recently received their first horses from him.

What a load of tripe from Greg Wood - was he still on the mend from his Derby Award celebrations when he wrote that or something?

Meade had Cardinal Hill for JP McManus sometime ago and I am pretty sure a few others. His Mullins horse (Arbour Supreme) was purchased from other owners in the Mullins yard - but as is the general norm for McManus he leaves the horse with the original trainer. McManus would clearly love some top class performers but I think he works a very different operation and mind set to most major owners.

I can see what Greg Wood is trying to say - I think it will be a bit sad if McCoys career (as it has in recent years) comes down to simple number of winners rather than the quality the great man deserves. I won't remember how many winners Ruby Walsh rode last year in 20 years time, but I will remember Kauto Star, Master Minded etc.

Meade had Cardinal Hill for JP McManus sometime ago and I am pretty sure a few others.

Not sure about the others (though I'll take your word!) but Cardinal Hill (who I must admit I'd forgotten about when making that last post...) didn't run in the McManus colours either in bumpers IIR.

So why does Jp end up with so much crap ? He pays top dollar.

Because he has the wrong man buying ALL his horses for him (Istabraq was found by Durkan and Baracouda came as part of a package). Same as Sheikh Mo. You have to say that Coolmore have an excellent team of buyers. They get it wrong......they get it right......but they get it right more often than wrong. Ditto for Paul Nicholls and Willie Mullins. The same cannot be said for McManus.

Gal, I'm interested in your comment on how McManus doesn't think like a normal big owner. Can you elaborate.

Gal, I'm interested in your comment on how McManus doesn't think like a normal big owner. Can you elaborate.

The guy is a business man, and a hugely successful one at that. It clearly does not bother him to have so much trash on his hands because if it did, he would simply treat them like all his other business ventures.

David Johnson, Magnier, Sheikh Mo, Aga Khan etc all sell on their horses if they are not up to scratch whereas McManus seems happy to hold on to them with various different trainers of all styles.

It is hard to imagine McManus has not asked himself the question about his purchases or his team - but he seems content to be going down the road he is. Hard to remember his last well touted Irish trained horse - the days of Joe Mac, Cardinal Hill, Like A Butterfly etc seem a long time ago now.

The last McManus horse I can recall being excited about was Eric McNamara's Stoneville a few years back. Looked like he could make a serious horse over fences, but unfortunately had to be put down after falling on his chasing debut.

Hard to recall many alright though.

I don’t think it actually matters much whether AP wins the big races. No matter what he does between now and the end of his career, he’s not going to be remembered for racking up Gold Cups, Champion Hurdles, etc., etc, he’s going to be remembered for never-say-die rides on horses that look beaten from the outset and for doing everything, anywhere, anytime to win any race, from a tin-pot seller at a midweek summer jumps meeting to the Gold Cup.

The only big race I think it’s important for him to win now is the Grand National – because, apparently, that is the race he wants to win and because, if he does, it might just motivate him to retire before he’s forced to do so.

AP isn’t going to gradually slide from our consciousness because he’s not on the best horses in the best races but the longer he goes on, the greater the likelihood that one day he’ll take a crashing fall while rousting some recalcitrant animal in one of those midweek tin-pot sellers and be carted off in an ambulance, never to be seen on a racecourse again. That is the greater concern

Maybe AP will cut the (purse) strings tying him to McManus & go freelance; it's up to him.

Problem with that, mrussell, is where does he go for rides?

Nicholls has Walsh, Henderson has Geraghty (plus McCoy rides for him already when available), Hobbs has Johnson, NTD has Brennan, Johnson has O'Regan etc etc.

Riding freelance is one thing, but when you look at it, there don't appear to be a great deal of doors at top yards ready to spring open for him. If he goes freelance, he might find that both quality and volume actually decrease.

I think he missed his chance to cut loose at the end of the last-but-one season. I've little doubt that he could have been Henderson's number one at that point, if he'd wanted to be.

If his own words are anything to go by, McCoy seems to have retention of his championship as his number one priority. This is fair enough, but I suspect he must have at least some regrets, that success in major races seems - for the large part - to have eluded him since he hooked-up with JP. I think Wood's article is pretty-much spot-on, myself.

Cantoris, couldn't agree more about the core of the problem with McManus' string. I reckon it's another measure of how loyal JP must be, that Frank Berry has stayed in his job for the last several years. The purchase of Flagship Uberalles remains my favourite sales howler of the decade.

Last edited:
McManus' loyalty, like love, is blind. I admire him for his loyalty, both what you see and what he does behind the scenes (I think I've mentioned before the cheque he used to send each year to Tralee, asking for nothing in return). He also looks after the stable lads.

However, I find it incredibly frustrating (why I don't know but I do) to watch someone make an absolute balls of it. Maybe it's because he's Irish or I just like him. He's a pleasant fella to meet. but his buying policy is atrocious. It used to be decent but has gone to pot. He should really churn over some of his poorer horses to smaller owners and yards but maybe he doesn't want to show up the inadequacies of some of his trainers when the horses go to better trainers and start winning decent races. Loyalty taken to the extreme.

As for McCoy, as long as McManus is willing to provide the conveyor belt of winnners at small tracks, McCoy will be happy. He's never been a man looking for quality over quantity. Which means that himself and McManus are probably well suited to each other at the moment. Both will have to change to make a difference there.

PS McManus also supports the Coomore media machine blindly which means he doens't buy the best horses, just the first season sires from Coolmore. Did he not buy 70 Saddlers Halls in one year??

Problem with that, mrussell, is where does he go for rides?

That could be a way of re-stating his problem: maybe he believes he'd get fewer rides, so he stays with JP ... self-fulfilling and all that.

The only way to fix that is to do it.

However, as you or Cantoris say, perhaps it's just quantity of winners that matters to AP, though that's not my take: I think he just loves riding, he's doing that aplenty, so he'll carry on with what he's doing - making horses win.

Not that I've ever met the fella, nor likely to.

Back