Totesport Trophy

Guest_

At the Start
Any strong fancys? Looks a open renewal, hard to rule anything out....though in saying that I think Psycho has has more than his fair share of chances and I do not like him off this mark/weight.

Wingman is the only one that interests me at a decent price. Any other thoughts?

Numide was fav last night on BF when I looked and deservedly so I think. Gary Moore is quite bullish. I also quite like Sentry Duty in spite of the weight, and I like Presenting Copper. But I've not had a good long look yet, as I doubt the meeting will go ahead frankly.

Damn weather - I'm planning on Huntingdon Thursday, Bangor Friday, Newbury Saturday and Hereford Sunday so I wish it would clear up! Poor trianers must be tearing their hair out.

My original fancy has been pulled out - probably due to being alloted a mark of 140 by the English Handicapper (was off 123 when well beaten in a Grade 1 at Punchestown last April), only run since was a third to Grivette and Hurricane Fly in France.

No idea why they don't just let the Irish horses run off their proper marks in these races.

Numide looks a solid bet on quicker ground - very impressive in a couple of hurdles last year and running well this year.

Ashkazar. Didnt look fully wound up at Ascot and ran a stinker but was still in contention turning for home. Pipe team slowly getting there and have to think a horse they had champion hurdle hopes with at the beginning of the season will be able to go close with 11st 5 on his back. 14's is a very big price.

[Moore's fairly adamant he needs cut in the ground, is he not? QUOTE]

yes he has been quoted on more than one occassion that numide needs cut

my list at moment is ashkazar presenting copper and numide

sentry duty removed becuase of weight on anticipated ground

but not confident meeting will go ahead

and i doubt they will move the race to another meeting if sat is abandoned

I like Songe a lot and even with the weight he can win this. Two others that should run well at nice prices are Cedrus Libani and European Dream.

If its on ,which is doubtful,Numide looks the answer. Rarely seen Gary Moore as confident as he was in his interview. I`d have Songe thereabouts also.

Ashkazar. Didnt look fully wound up at Ascot and ran a stinker but was still in contention turning for home. Pipe team slowly getting there and have to think a horse they had champion hurdle hopes with at the beginning of the season will be able to go close with 11st 5 on his back. 14's is a very big price.

I agree beardo..I backed Ashkazar at Ascot, but would be prepared give him another try especially at those prices. Like you said, the are little signs that Pipe's team may be cranking into gear. Hope the bloody weather clears up in time:(

Newbury's prospects looking even more grim now - it's been snowing on and off all day and is snowing heavily again now.

Any idea if the Meade horse runs - she was going well at Ascot prior to coming down and freely available at 25's with the bookies.

Bad foreast for the next couple of days and I'd be very surprised if we get any jump racing before Monday in the UK. Maddening

It's thawed out a fair bit now with the snow receding but it has been snowing on and off too, sometimes heavily. I wouldn't rely on forecasts too much as the ones I've seen have all been conflicting and pretty much wrong anyway. It was supposed to be a snow free day today and it certainly wasn't that!

We've had a good 3 inches of snow overnight with it looking like there's more on the way - I'd say Newbury are a million which is a shame as I've been looking forward to it. We're pretty much snowed in up here in my village, can't get in or out bar with a 4x4.

We've had a good 3 inches of snow overnight with it looking like there's more on the way - I'd say Newbury are a million which is a shame as I've been looking forward to it. We're pretty much snowed in up here in my village, can't get in or out bar with a 4x4.

I've never seen a jeep in a pub before, better to be locked in than out though I suppose :D

Osgood says there is no snow on the course and it's raceable, see RP site 'news' - The covers have gone back down so it does look hopeful provided the weather doesn't deteriorate. Newbury is low-lying so stands a chance.

I'm selfishly hoping Bangor is off tomorrow so I can follow Nellie at Sandown the following Friday instead - esp as I'm going to Ascot anyway. Desperate if it is for connections etc, though; also now they are inspecting first thing some boxes may need to go off anyway which is a pain as I think they will cancel anyway.

I think you're looking at an old report, Headstrong - the latest that has been reported on the RP website (or the SL) is that Newbury [Osgood] was surprised by the 3 inches of snow that was covering the track this morning and they inspect at 8am tomorrow morning. The rain/sleet that hit Reading and east Berkshire earlier today hasn't materialised this far west yet.

Ah yes, I just read that now, doesn't look hopeful does it? I won't start packing yet... What a bummer.
I remember sitting in the champagne bar on Aon day a few years back, the meeting was cancelled around midday! That's what promted them to pioneer the snow covers

Latest report from the RP website, timed at 17.00 :

Newbury inspects with chance of more snow

By racingpost.com staff5.00PM 5 FEB 2009
THREE inches of snow on Wednesday evening and the prospect of further snow on Thursday night has forced officials at Newbury to hold an 8am inspection on Friday morning ahead of Super Saturday.

Clerk of the course Richard Osgood described the track as "fine" on Thursday ahead of Saturday's Grade 1 Aon Chase and the £150,000 Totesport Trophy.
The snow which gathered on top of the fleecy covers, laid at the weekend to protect the ground, is causing the most concern.

He said: "It's about 4C under the covers but it's the snow which has fallen on top of them that is the problem. It is starting to thaw out and we would have every chance if that was the last of the snow.

"My main concern is that the we have been forecasted either snow, sleet or rain over the next couple of nights and we are just praying that it's sleet or rain and not snow which falls."

The protective covers will remain on the course until Saturday morning and Osgood said that should eliminate the threat of frozen ground.

He added: "Although temperatures could fall to minus temperatures on Friday night the covers should help combat the frost. It is just a case of hoping for no more snow, as at that temperature the snow will struggle to thaw and it has to go somewhere when we remove the covers.

"It makes sense to check so we can keep everyone up to date will the situation."

1300 they called the Tote Gold Trophy meeting off that year - just as I was walking into the track. Not that it was a popular decision in the slightest, many people argued the track was raceable and pretty much everybody was of the opinion that the track was raceble by 1330.

Back