Totesport Trophy

swedish chef

At the Start
A race dominated by Nicky Henderson and Gary Moore over the years, so I've picked one from each trainer (whom both have multiple entries) that I think are the least exposed, are decent prices and hopefully will be gambled and I can trade my small investments for a free bet and a profit.

Sircozy - runs and Taunton tomorrow (Thursday) and will need to win well to get a penalty to have any chance of getting into the race - Moore often produces one that wins well before the big race and is the subject of a big gamble for the Totesport Trophy - I'm hoping this is the one - available at fancy prices for the T.T. on betfair.

Nadiya de La Vega - Henderson has a good record in this race with unexposed 5yo French Breds - this horse has earned a h'cap mark from 3 hurdle races in France - but has run twice in Nov Chases - are they trying to preserve his hurdle mark? Among the favs on the tissue but available at 40's on betfair - owned by the million in mind syndicate.

I backed Nadiya for the Arkle a couple of weeks back, and she is as game as they come. I hadn't considered that they might take her to Newbury, but no reason why not. Does she have a hurdles mark in the UK? After her perfomances over fences, I can't imagine the handicapper will gake too many chances with her, if he hasn't yet given her a mark.

PS. She is a mare - I made the same mistake myself. :cool:

i backed nadiya for the arkle a couple of weeks back, and she is as game as they come. I hadn't considered that they might take her to newbury, but no reason why not. Does she have a hurdles mark in the uk? After her perfomances over fences, i can't imagine the handicapper will gake too many chances with her, if he hasn't yet given her a mark.

Ps. She is a mare - i made the same mistake myself. :cool:

or 134 - forgot to look at the sex to be honest - cheers

Last edited:
The best horse she faced over hurdles in France was Saying Again, who beat her in her last start at Pau. On a crude line through Crystal Bonus, Saying Again would be around 138, so 134 probably accurate enough actually.

She's already better than that over fences imo, and whilst I wouldn't say she is thrown-in, I wouldn't try to talk you out of backing her if she was confirmed for the race.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on Solix now with Henderson off 152 in the race Grassy? Looks a touch high to me but his placings behind Beautiful Life represent the best 4yo form in France and there was a bit of money for him yesterday too.

He's smart enough, Martin, though well behind Bel La Vie, and 152 (142 would be more accurate, imo) looks far too high for a horse who finds it hard to win at the best of times.

In fact, it would be no surprise to see him in here only to prop-up the handicap for Nadiya De La Vega!

With Henderson capable of bossing the weights with Solix, I've had to have a tickle on NDLV at 32.

I've looked twice at this, first time briefly, second time more closely.
It's hard to cleanly disect what's there with a real winning chance, but if he runs I've made my mind up that Prima Vista from the Noel Meade yard could be the best bet.

His flat sire Singspiel could not really be described as a soft ground horse (which is what PV has been getting in Ireland), and i've got an inclination he could show improvement on the better ground he might to get at Newbury.
In the 7 runs he's had up to now, he's been significantly backed on all bar one occasion, so someone must rate the horse highly.

Bothy and Tiger O Toole I thought could have decent e/w chances aswell.

Last edited:
Any news on whether Walkon likely to go there. Connections must surely be tempted to have another go off 148, looks very well handicapped off that to me.

Thaks Rory. Tocca Ferro misses race and rest of the season. Walkon not confirmed as definitite runner yet but limited other options as Mille Chief goes for the Kingwell.

Lets hope so. I backed him the other day and thought he had it. Any thoughts on him going for the World Hurdle?

I wonder what price for a King winner, he has the three horses prominent in the betting, Salden Licht, Walkon and Iolith.

Actually quite interested in Iolith for the Supreme, hasn't beat a whole lot in his two wins this season, but he could be very decent.

Interesting that Willie Mullins has left Sweet My Lord in this at the five-day stage. He rarely travels his runners to the UK outside of the Festivals, and if he was declared overnight on Friday, I think that would be noteworthy.

SML is lightly-raced, probably still open to improvement and gets in here off 10-6; which is sufficiently close to a winners profile for me to have a small dash. I've had a tickle at 34, just in case.

Fire the Q to IanWBXdotCOM on Twitter - he's the racing manager to Max McNeill and family.

I wonder why an owner with around 5 horses with Alan King and a share in a horse with Tom George requires a racing manager. Hardly sounds like an administrative nightmare, does it?

I wonder why an owner with around 5 horses with Alan King and a share in a horse with Tom George requires a racing manager. Hardly sounds like an administrative nightmare, does it?

very clever man, the racing manager, then. earning money for nowt and showing off at the same time.

i am the racing manager for our string of 2 as well; AND the breeding advisor/bloodstock agent ...

I shall go with Iolith in the race, btw. just below proper group class over here in germany, so should have a lovely racing weight. as a monsun would of course like some give in the ground.

There was very positive word from someone who occassionaly posts on here about Notus De La Tour prior to his last run, and plenty of money on him that day. I was told to back him before that for the Totesport Trophy, and did, and according to an interview with David Pipe recently this is still the target. Id be happy enough that he was showing enough at home to justify his lofty reputation, especially when you consider what he was being compared with, and at still around 14/1 i wouldnt put anyone off having an each way bet.

4/1 Hendeson to win the race with the Tote offers a little value as he has 3 runners and has won 4 of the last 11 runnings.

There was very positive word from someone who occassionaly posts on here about Notus De La Tour prior to his last run, and plenty of money on him that day. I was told to back him before that for the Totesport Trophy, and did, and according to an interview with David Pipe recently this is still the target. Id be happy enough that he was showing enough at home to justify his lofty reputation, especially when you consider what he was being compared with, and at still around 14/1 i wouldnt put anyone off having an each way bet.

I hate following a horse in after getting fingers burnt the first day - equally detest not backing a horse that wins the second day after doing my dough the first day - if you get my drift.:confused:

He was never put in the race the last day - and either didnt have the gears to go with them (which could mean he has no chance back over 2m in this) or he didn't stay (which could mean that this race could suit him).

Backed him on your solid recommendation the last day but he looks a little too exposed to me to have enough in hand to pinch a race like this. I have often been wrong though!!;)

I like Notus De La Tour, but that Fred Winter form has taken a caning over the last 12 months. He has the look of a harshly handicapped animal to me.

Back