Totesport Trophy

I think Salden Licht is still open to improvement, he went up 11lb for his Exeter win, he was very impressive that day and the third has since franked the form at Musselburgh last Sunday.

He is rated 102 on the flat, and that is translating to his hurdles form. When you consider Alan King's stable was woefully out of form last season, expect a lot of his horses to continue to improve. Walkon should also have a great shout after his sterling effort at Ascot, and I wouldn't rule out Iolith either, who looks like another progressive horse.

3-1 an Alan King horse to win, probably not a bad price!

This is a serious puzzle as 8/1 the field would suggest. Walkon would be a worthy winner but couldn't back him with the spectre of the dreaded bounce factor and the fact that King felt it necessary to wait until after he worked yesterday / today to see how he was. Salden Licht could well be still improving but would need to be off his mark and weight and although I have been impressed with him I have to pass him over with that weight. Same issue for me with Solix ( don't higher weighted animals have a decent record in this) as this year I believe a horse down the number cloths a little will be advantaged.
Get Me Out of Here just simply cannot repeat on what he has shown this year and if he does then some people will need to do some time!!
Soldatino travelled well the last day but fell in a hole and would need to improve 2 stone to win.
As I stated earlier Notus seems to be poorly handicapped on what he has achieved and despite fire engines being needed at Pond House for himself and Grand Crus I can't have him either.
So by a process of elimination I believe it lies between two lurking near the bottom of the weights - Final Approach and Iolith. The former wom the MCR very handily off 123, the Irish handicapper gave him ten and he gets another 4 from Phil Smith but still gets in off 137 and has a perfect racing weight. He was handicapped off a win in an egg and spoon race in Downpatrick and won so professionally the lady day that 137 may not even be close to his proper mark. He will also love the ground and hurdles very quickly. Iolith is the other who may be a blot!

Last edited:
I think they are waiting for the results of post-mortems. An announcement is likely to be made today. I think they were talking about Sunday?... but sponsors, etc would have to agree to it.

Back