Trials Day

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
Really strong looking card at the moment with some races priced up. Just the one bet so far though.

The Novice Handicap chase is frustrating me as I really like Es Perfecto who went into the tracker the last time he was here but unfortunately pumpkin has his conqueror that day Ginny's Destiny entered with Cobden booked. Es Perfecto found Kempton not enough of a test lto but the new course should suit him. Sue Smith has entered Cerendipity who needs to go right handed. Either she's completly clueless (favourite) or there is a long term plan. He's also entered at Donny.

The Countdown handicap chase over the same distance is a cracking looking renewal with yer usual suspects all entered. Frero D'Armes is winking at me but two negatives put me off. His poor run last time out and Skelton. I'd place lay Excello if he lined up.

I've backed The Real Whacker in the Cotswold. I thought he ran as well as could be expected in the King George and returning to Cheltenham will obviously suit. Hills have priced him up at 9/2 and that's too big. Royal Pagaille is 10, won a farce of a Betfair Chase and I just want to be against him. Stay Away Fay should not be shorter than TRW and the rest of the field are either big field handicappers or gone at the game.

The Clarence House can get in the sea. No interest.

The International has a multi-Mullins entry list so feck knows.

The Cleeve is interesting. Like the Long Walk ante-post market the OAP's are at the forefront again and need taking on. I've backed Strong Leader twice this year and you can sort of make excuses for both runs. He didn't seem to enjoy Ascot that much fto and leading last time did not suit, he jumped like a plank of wood. Problem is he is trained by a fanny so I cannot really justify betting him, even at 20s. At this stage I'd be tempted to give Botox Has a go - he was well supported in the LW but Cheltenham should suit him better.

What's to say Datsalrightgino can't keep improving though. The Hennessy weren't a bad race. Just writing him off as a big field handicapper could be dangerous.

I'm quite liking the look of the races at Doncaster on Saturday aswell.

There's a 2 mile handicap chase of interest. Lots of decent yardsticks entered, including Malystic, although he's lost his form, and then there's Xcitations who has some good form. I'm looking forward to seeing a horse of Lucinda Russell's called Traprain Law though. He could be well ahead of his current rating of 130. He needs a hike in the ratings to have a shot at races like the Grand Annual, although that might be wishful thinking on my behalf at this stage. One race at a time eh.

Last edited:
What's to say Datsalrightgino can't keep improving though. The Hennessy weren't a bad race. Just writing him off as a big field handicapper could be dangerous.

I was writing off a bit yeah, it's all relative to price though - 5/1 is not good.

At Donny Latitude is a decent price in the big race now he's going left handed and I agree about Trapain Law. He was very impressive last time at Kelso.

Agreed that TRW is the one that stands-out at the prices in the Cotswold.

Everything entered in the Cleeve could retire tomorrow, and I wouldn’t give two shits, save for having to go through the predictable bollocks about what a great warrior Paisley Park was (in truth, he is a mutt of the highest order).

Last edited:
Can’t see past the obvious for the most part, but Theatre Man was in my book as an improver for interest next time. The Novices’ Handicap is likely a step too far unfortunately, but will watch the market.

Anyway, who is going to be a busy boy over the weeke-end, then?

Nicky HendersonTrainer Entries

Sir Gino (FR) entered Cheltenham on Saturday 27th Jan 12.05
Persian Time (GB) entered Cheltenham on Saturday 27th Jan 12.40
Doddiethegreat (IRE) entered Doncaster on Saturday 27th Jan 12.55
No Ordinary Joe (IRE) entered Doncaster on Saturday 27th Jan 12.55
Pentland Hills (IRE) entered Doncaster on Saturday 27th Jan 12.55
Excello (FR) entered Cheltenham on Saturday 27th Jan 1.15
Jango Baie (FR) entered Doncaster on Saturday 27th Jan 1.30
Jeriko Du Reponet (FR) entered Doncaster on Saturday 27th Jan 1.30
Luccia (GB) entered Doncaster on Saturday 27th Jan 2.05
Under Control (FR) entered Doncaster on Saturday 27th Jan 2.05
Jonbon (FR) entered Cheltenham on Saturday 27th Jan 2.25
Fierce Warrior (IRE) entered Doncaster on Saturday 27th Jan 2.40
Shanagh Bob (IRE) entered Doncaster on Saturday 27th Jan 2.40
First Street (GB) entered Cheltenham on Saturday 27th Jan 3.00
Under Control (FR) entered Cheltenham on Saturday 27th Jan 3.00
Fantastic Lady (FR) entered Doncaster on Saturday 27th Jan 3.15
Mister Coffey (FR) entered Doncaster on Saturday 27th Jan 3.15
Champ (IRE) entered Cheltenham on Saturday 27th Jan 3.35
Marie's Rock (IRE) entered Cheltenham on Saturday 27th Jan 3.35
Amrons Sage (IRE) entered Doncaster on Saturday 27th Jan 3.50
Walking On Air (IRE) entered Doncaster on Saturday 27th Jan 3.50
Wiseguy (IRE) entered Doncaster on Saturday 27th Jan 3.50
Choccabloc (GB) entered Cheltenham on Saturday 27th Jan 4.10
Jango Baie (FR) entered Cheltenham on Saturday 27th Jan 4.10
Jingko Blue (FR) entered Cheltenham on Saturday 27th Jan 4.10
Lucky Place (FR) entered Cheltenham on Saturday 27th Jan 4.10
Strutter (FR) entered Doncaster on Sunday 28th Jan 12.20
Brave Jen (GB) entered Fontwell on Sunday 28th Jan 2.00
Easy Peasy (IRE) entered Fontwell on Sunday 28th Jan 2.00
Johnny Blue (IRE) entered Fontwell on Sunday 28th Jan 2.00
Johnny Blue (IRE) entered Doncaster on Sunday 28th Jan 2.00
Montecam (IRE) entered Doncaster on Sunday 28th Jan 2.00
Jemura (IRE) entered Fontwell on Sunday 28th Jan 2.30
Marie's Rock (IRE) entered Doncaster on Sunday 28th Jan 2.35
Theatre Glory (IRE) entered Doncaster on Sunday 28th Jan 2.35
Tweed Skirt (GB) entered Doncaster on Sunday 28th Jan 2.35
The Bomber Liston (IRE) entered Doncaster on Sunday 28th Jan 3.05
Johnny Blue (IRE) entered Fontwell on Sunday 28th Jan 3.30
Kutaiba (IRE) entered Doncaster on Sunday 28th Jan 4.10
Notorious Pink (GB) entered Doncaster on Sunday 28th Jan 4.10
Western Harmony (IRE) entered Doncaster on Sunday 28th Jan 4.10
Notorious Pink (GB) entered Fontwell on Sunday 28th Jan 4.30
Western Harmony (IRE) entered Fontwell on Sunday 28th Jan 4.30

Best Saturday card for a while. I'll probably try and find time to study it.

Looking forward to seeing Burdett Road again. He's probably my biggest ante-post potential return so far.

Disappointing there's no Supreme Trial and looking at the Unibet Hurdle it has absolutely nothig to do wit te Champion Hurdle

Nicjy Henderson has found another gift for Jonbo who barring accidents will win te Clarence House easily.

Sir Gino must be the worst jumper Seven Barrows has but he has some engine which could make the Trimmph a cracking race
between him and Burdett Road. The confidense Harry Cobden had in his mount last time was uncanny.
Either he knew those in front of him were crap or he had supreme confidens in Burdett Road..I tend to think it was the latter and I'll be with him on the day.

Easy as That could be a snip at the weights he's alot better than his recent form suggets 11/1 ew looks worth bet.

Cotswold Chase looks a cracker. At this time I am not sure what i will back but would like Royal Pigaile to win (Got him in comp:))

Maries Rock has looked a shadow of herself could be worth taking a chance on NIcky brining her back to her best like when she kicked Dashel Drasher into touch.
Race does however looks to have very little to do with what will happen at the Festival when the Irish brigade arrives

Last edited:
Read on Twitter he's not fully recovered from the collar bone injury, needs more time.

Bet wise I've done Es Perfecto each way and have Easy as That (agree with Tanlic this is more his trip) in multis with the likes of Latitude at Donny and Greenrock Abbey at Uttoxeter.

Sir Gino was very impressive indeed but I'm not convinced BR ran his race even if he did run to the pound on ORs with the third.

BR out to 10s in a place or two but I'm happy with 33s and the option to cash out maybe.

Could there be something better lurking in Ireland? Might the French have something better than the third?

Elsewhere the races were good watches for neutrals but I'm not sure if we learned too much more than we already knew, Sir Gino apart.

Convinced that Jonbon needs a stiffer test than today, at the top level.
Expect to see him in the Ryanair, rather than the QMCC.

Last edited:
Agreed a really enjoyable day. Not so good punting wise for me with 5 second placers only one of which was each way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Convinced that Jonbon needs a stiffer test than today, at the top level.
Expect to see him in the Ryanair, rather than the QMCC.

Maybe, but can’t draw any conclusion from today’s race. Henderson reckoned he only saw one jumping mistake, but he must have been watching a different race to me - I thought he ranged from the ponderous to the downright iffy. Nico seemed to handle him much better than than the others and I suspect it would have been a different story with him on board. Pains me to say so because I like James Bowen.

I wonder what the difference was. Nico said last time that he just let Jonbon get on with it, so perhaps he didn’t like being told what to do.

Maybe, but can’t draw any conclusion from today’s race. Henderson reckoned he only saw one jumping mistake, but he must have been watching a different race to me - I thought he ranged from the ponderous to the downright iffy. Nico seemed to handle him much better than than the others and I suspect it would have been a different story with him on board. Pains me to say so because I like James Bowen.

I wonder what the difference was. Nico said last time that he just let Jonbon get on with it, so perhaps he didn’t like being told what to do.

Exactly that. Obviously we’ll never know but I doubt anyone would be saying Jonbon needs a stiffer test if he hadn’t tried to take the fence with him and had gone by the winner as it looked like he was going to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonbon was very hyped up in the paddock beforehand (although I know he does get stressy). I think possibly being a fairly full-on horse maybe the extra week tipped him over?
He fair mullered that fence and Bowen did well to stay on. I thought he did right giving him time to recover and it was a shame that he had had to send him on when he did. The last fence mistake didn’t help and I do slightly put that down to jockey nerves....but he will learn from that and no doubt be kicking himself. I imagine that’s got to be his highest pressure ride so far and it didn’t come off. He will be very down tonight as a result, of that I am sure. Getting beaten on the yard hot pot at odds on isn’t a good feeling.

Back