Trident debate

I use videoconferencing all the time. I'd never use it for a pitch, but I use it for multi-location meetings several times a week. It's a massive time and money saver, and there's no downside. People get lost on conference calls but they rarely do on videoconferences.

its best (only?) role is replacing conference calls. I also believe that aside from a pitch, if there is a real dispute or crisis don't whatever you do use conference calls because tempers can rise very easily. Same room makes a big big difference. Always advise clients, drop the mails, drop the calls and get over there

I believe that with clients you are pitching every time you contact.

Thank fck i don't have to endure those "i will never get this time back ever" weekly meetings about absolutely fck all

Last edited:
It's crap.

you can't read body language properly and that's far more key than Any of us realise . Will never change.

With the notable exception of Human Nature I'm loath to ever use the phrase "will never change", particularly when considering where goes the white heat of technology that is er... 'Tech'

Videoconferencing is in its infancy, as is crackly, hazy, intermittent Skype and I agree that neither yet provide the nuances and feel of 'face to face' meetings. Come 2033 when, given a following wind, the last few rails of HS2 are forecast to be laid on the approaches to Manchester and Leeds by how much will video-tech have developed?

Life-size very high definition 3D surround 'twixt Manchester and Twickenham? To all intents and purposes genuine virtual reality

There will always be a need for those in business to physically travel but I for one certainly don't believe that demand in the 2030s and beyond will increase and will probably decrease. Either way, it does not justify the building of a shiny new railway, at the cost projected or at the cost to communities and countryside en-route

'You young 'uns wouldn't believe it but I remember the day when I had to get the 0600 from Euston for a two hour meeting at 0900 meeting in Manchester, and then have to travel home again'

Way back in the palaeolithic noughties I recall being amazed when first exposed to touchscreen technology: now it's just an everyday commonplace like sliced bread

A redundant railway and a redundant fleet of Successor Submarines with manouveres by the latter streamed live from a submersible Russian/Korean/EU drone on son-of-youtube

Still, it will be nice to watch it all on my xth generation Tablet from the comfort of my wheelchair during a day trip whizzing from somewhere to somewhere else at 200mph as part of a gratefully received cheap block-booking courtesy of the care home on a near-empty, government-subsidised HS2 :)

Tech-wise we ain't seen nuthin' yet

Last edited:
I worked for a video conferencing company from 1996 for nearly 6 years. It was in its' infancy then, it's not now. It is a huge cost saver but the company I worked for fell down particularly was in training people how to use it. It's not difficult, I am a complete technical idiot but I could work it if I had to. Changing the mind set of people is the main challenge. You don't have to go in person everywhere. Sometimes yes, and big pitches or 'problem solving' meetings yes, but a lot of other things can be handled quite easily during a video conference. Biggest problem we found was changing sales people's habits. They like to go out on the road and have expenses paid in hotels etc. Where I work now, completely different products, and having suggested VC for some of the meetings instead of travelling to the sales people, who all have been here a long time, not one of them thought it would be a good idea.

Trident - head says yes, heart says no. Who we going to use them against? If someone fires on us, we'd have no time to retaliate if we wanted to, so they would be of no use anyway?

Last edited:
Its for number crunchers, geeks and time serving deadbeats where innovation, personality and frankly anything they have to say is of no interest. Granted that two internal auditors droning on would make little difference in terms of persona contact. thats because they are cabbages anyway. its for the grunts

No one would seriously pitch for business by Skype.

"international companies" employ load of second raters anyway. Office politicians terrified of their bosses and counting down days to the pension. give me the start up to £10m anyday of the week

No-one has ever, at any stage, said Video-Conferencing would replace "pitching for business" direct with a client, you giant-sized knob-end. Stop repeating things which have never been mentioned.

With the notable exception of Human Nature I'm loath to ever use the phrase "will never change", particularly when considering where goes the white heat of technology that is er... 'Tech'

Videoconferencing is in its infancy, as is crackly, hazy, intermittent Skype and I agree that neither yet provide the nuances and feel of 'face to face' meetings. Come 2033 when, given a following wind, the last few rails of HS2 are forecast to be laid on the approaches to Manchester and Leeds by how much will video-tech have developed?

Life-size very high definition 3D surround 'twixt Manchester and Twickenham? To all intents and purposes genuine virtual reality

There will always be a need for those in business to physically travel but I for one certainly don't believe that demand in the 2030s and beyond will increase and will probably decrease. Either way, it does not justify the building of a shiny new railway, at the cost projected or at the cost to communities and countryside en-route

'You young 'uns wouldn't believe it but I remember the day when I had to get the 0600 from Euston for a two hour meeting at 0900 meeting in Manchester, and then have to travel home again'

Way back in the palaeolithic noughties I recall being amazed when first exposed to touchscreen technology: now it's just an everyday commonplace like sliced bread

A redundant railway and a redundant fleet of Successor Submarines with manouveres by the latter streamed live from a submersible Russian/Korean/EU drone on son-of-youtube

Still, it will be nice to watch it all on my xth generation Tablet from the comfort of my wheelchair during a day trip whizzing from somewhere to somewhere else at 200mph as part of a gratefully received cheap block-booking courtesy of the care home on a near-empty, government-subsidised HS2 :)

Tech-wise we ain't seen nuthin' yet

no.

its the new kindle

Back