Triumph Hurdle

Hamm

At the Start
Any thoughts?

I'm very much against the favourite, and think the need for cheekpieces is very worrying if you've backed him antepost.

I think Walkon has done nothing but improve and will definitely be placed.

Starluck has looked fantastic, though a slight worry he may be better suited to a flat track.

They would be my two bets as things stand without delving too deep.

Any thoughts?

I'm very much against the favourite, and think the need for cheekpieces is very worrying if you've backed him antepost.

I think Walkon has done nothing but improve and will definitely be placed.

Starluck has looked fantastic, though a slight worry he may be better suited to a flat track.

They would be my two bets as things stand without delving too deep.

Like I say, I really try not to have a bet in the Triumph. Having said that I also like Walkon.

Don't like the favourite's jumping.

Nor can I rid myself of the conviction that Zaynar would be better suited by an extra 2 furlongs or so.

Took 8.4 on Walkon awhile ago. One can never be too confident in a race like this, but he`s got a leading chance.

I like Master of Arts. I know he hasn't had the jumping experience that some of the others have but he was tough enough on the Flat for this sort of race.

I've backed the favourite at 20's already but aside from him then the Pipe horse that Jinny mentions would be my fancy.

I've gone with Walkon in the hope that he has improved enough to beat the favourite. If Zaynar hurdles smoothly then he'll be right there. A race like this should wake him up.

It would be some sight to see those two and Ebadiyan approaching the last together.

Is there any reason why Starluck is considered a non-stayer around Cheltenham or a horse that is suited to flat tracks. Is it just because he has only had a chance to race on flat tracks? If he does stay the trip and handle the course he looks by far the classiest of this lot doesn't he? He looks the only proper 2 miler to me...the rest will all be over staying trips next season.

Last edited:
Personally, fwiw, i think he'll stay the trip fine Gal. I'm between Master of Arts and Starluck myself. Will go through the race once more later with a fresh look and try and pin my colours to the mast on one of them.

I think Starluck could well struggle in a race this competitive. Not sure whether it will necessarily be trip related, but watching the videos of his 12f Flat runs, his effort is flattening out at the end and I think he's basically not going to find much off the bridle. I've backed him after Fakenham so am in a decent enough position but I feel the need to back Walkon as well. He looks absolutely bomb proof. He jumps, travels and finds plenty and the vibes from the trainer suggest he rates him just as much as his2 recent winners of the race.

Triumpth Hurdle

I think Master Of Arts is the only threat to the brace of greys Starluck to me if he handles the track can not be beaten he jumps super. Zaynar in cheekpieces is to me no worry he according to the trainer is lazy thats all but he will need to be on his game to confirm placings with Walkon who has certainly improved as the seasons gone on. The Triumpth and 4yo crops to me has improved big time in the last few years 2006 crop Detroit City (RIP), 2007 crop Katchit Won Triumpth / Champion , Punjabi won Champion, and 2008 crop Binnocular , Celestial Halo.

Starluck strikes me as the answer. His form stands close scrutiny and his jumping is reportedly very slick and accurate. That's a huge advantage here.

Can't make out between English and Irish form, can't see any natural way of measuring strength....not a race to get too involved in. Can't see how anything can be bomb proof until you see how he compares with across the water, was similar enough debate before Supreme and Ballymore

As I said elsewhere NH wanted to run Zaynar in the Ballymore as he feels he does need further, but I think he was overruled. I'm not sure either that Zaynar will relish the big field - but that can be said of several UK horses. Irish horses are unfazed by big fields at the Festival and it's an advantage to them imo that they're used to it. I've kept my small antepost on Zaynar at 10 on BF and also had a saver on Walkon a month back, but I'm a bit worried by the yard form this week! All in all not a race for big stakes

Last edited:
This is my first post so be kind ha ha only joking:D,no point joining a forum unless you take other peoples opinions on board.Mighten act on them but as a famous philosopher once said "where ever you go their you are".I have made a short list for various reasons and have narrowed my selections down to.STARLUCK 6/1 TRENCHANT 20/1 LETHAL WEAPON 14/1 EBADIYAN 7/1 JUMBO RIO 10/1.I have had a sizeable bet antepost on EBADIYAN 16/1 this horse got beat last time out by JUMBO RIO over 16f and has been in great form of late.But i think the extra furlong will suit EBADIYAN if the ground is good i think EBADIYAN is a good each way bet.I will have a saver on STARLUCK 6/1 he was the only horse to tick all the right boxes.Saying all that i wouldnt be surprised if WALK ON won.

Last edited:
Good morning and welcome to Talking Horses, beeforsalmon (what a strange username, whatever made you think of that?)

One thing, we do allow the use of the capital "I" on here.;)

Back