True tales from the betting ring.

Simon, may ask, what is a "bottle", please?
I have always understood that "bottle" is slang for odds of 2/1, but the report above seems to indicate a "bottle" as an amount of wager. So, what amount is a "bottle" ?

Great reading as always, btw. :)

Good question. I've never heard bottle being used to describe the amount of a bet and look forward to Simon's answer.

Been giving this some thought and don't think that bottle is a set amount. I'm thinking it might be a max bet that one is prepared to go to before bottling it. So it might be a monkey for some or a pony for others. Or whatever one sets as a sum that they will only put on what they believe it to be a good thing.

Just my view on it which is probably wrong :)

Can't find anything on google

Sorry everyone, I missed those questions. A bottle is slang for 2/1 but can also be used as slang for £200 and it was used in that context. I do apologise for just posting links and not replying.

Sorry for not replying before, yes a bottle is slang for 2/1 but can also be used as slang for a £200 bet and that's the context it's used in here.

Last edited:
Cheers Simon, never heard bottle being used as slang for £200 bet. Learning all the time :)

Back