Tuesday 19th March 2025

yorick

Conditional
The aftershocks of Cheltenham subside and we now lie in the fallow field between The festival and Aintree. It's traditionally a tricky time, this; when the exertions of the campaign and the changing season can throw up unexpected results.

I really don't intend to be troubling the bookies too much at the moment but I will venture one today. It does, of course, come with a proviso but, at the price, I think it's worth a look-see:

Donny Boy - 3.45 Wetherby 6/1 Ew

I think this fellow could be well handicapped, you know. I backed him on his penultimate run where he came cruising into the race up the Newcastle straight but failed to get up and finished second to Jet Legs. that one has won since and is now rated at 120 so my lad has some form in the book and will appreciate this trip, given his breeding. The abovementioned proviso is the going. It looks like DB may appreciate some better ground. Looking at the BHA going report, there has been little or no rain since Sunday, with a calm, dry day ahead, accompanied by a light breeze and what is described as 'Soft' going. I wouldn't be surprised if, come 3.45, the going is riding better than that so I'm hopeful.

My fear is Collector's Item, who I also noted after his recent Sandown run. I backed him the run after that and I must say he was a major let down, starting favourite but PU. He too, might appreciate better ground but I feel inclined to side with my horse and am concerned that there may be a quirk in the CI mindset.

However, I have also wagered on a reverse forecast on the pair.

As a little treat, I give you Pricewise's tips for last Saturday:

2.10K ALLIEN STORM
2.25U LORD SNOOTIE
2.25U CLASSIC CONCORDE
3.00U YOUNG DEV
3.35U FOTUNEFAVORSDBOLD

Results:

2.10K last
2.25 PU
2.25 PU
3.00 2nd last
3.35 PU

See? Even the most respected have to, at times, get hammered by the racing Gods. So, nil desperandum, as they say.

Good luck.

Just watched the race and a couple of thoughts:

perhaps, after all, the ground may have ridden too soft and, perhaps more telling, it looks to me that some eye-wear might help this one. He does travel and jump nicely but seems to find little when asked.

Lastly, I should mention the breeding, which points to marathon trips. So, little lost with my small interest, although it would be nice to register a winner now and again lol.

Back