Tuesday 9th April 2024

yorick

Conditional
I don't suppose Hereford on a Tuesday afternoon on heavy ground would be likely to keep even the most fervent National Hunt fanatic in any way remotely excited but I thought I'd amuse myself by taking a scan over the two chases on the card. They're both Class 5 and moderate would be too flattering an adjective to hang on either contest. 'Poor' springs to mind. These poor races can be as difficult to solve, if not harder, than top-class handicaps and, certainly, these are a couple of puzzles to be sure.

Having written that, I'll give my thoughts knowing I shall not have a bet but will share my deliberations just for science/riddle - solving amusement.

In the first (2.30), we're offered a sorry bunch indeed and at first glance, it seems that last time out winner and favourite Pep Talking looks a shoo-in to score, having won by 6L on his chase debut, at righted - handed Huntingdon. I was going to advise this gelding as the winner elect but, really, that was a poor old affair wasn't it? Today, though, he takes on several who, for various reasons, have question marks against them.

Famoso I would discount on the heavy ground, and Trapista and Hooky Street for the same reason plus the fact that they might be seen to better effect over further.

The two at the base of the handicap just look to be out of calculations even carrying such feather weight and would have to show Lazarus-like revivals to figure. That leaves Ensel Du Perche and top weight Out Of Focus. The former will more than likely race off in front around this tight track and play 'catch-me-if-you-can'. I think he looks to have a decent chance, given the going and distance, his mark and racing style. At 13/2, I wouldn't be putting anyone off since the ew value is there. However, since the standard on offer here is so poor, I feel inclined to plump for Out Of Focus at the head of affairs. I think it's fair to say that that this is a race that would not take much winning. On his last outing over hurdles at Catterick, he ran way down the field. Two things: apparently he bled from the nose that day but watching the race I noticed that here is a big lad indeed; he looks to have the build of a chaser to me: a strapping fellow. Sire Montmartre gets chasers ok and I don't think Out Of Focus would need to be anything special to figure.

In the 3.30 I'm looking at another class five which strikes me as a marginally better contest. The form that stands out is Supasunrise's second to Royal Mer over 2.5 miles at right-handed Leicester in January, given that horse's subsequent further duo of wins since. It seems, too, that Supasunrise has pounds in hand over Jack Doyen on a line through Amalfi Sunshine. What's more, SS has won over the distance on soft ground. At 4/1, he looks reasonable value.

So there you go. If I had a bet, it would be to the tune of 2 x Ew singles and an Ew double. I shall keep my powder dry, though and wait for Aintree.

Hmmm... See what I mean about poor races being difficult to solve? Trapista. Ten chases without a win, raced principally on good ground, won twice over 2m 3f: obviously would win this 2m race on heavy going. Yet wins in a canter, really. Now, Out Of Focus was never put there to be competitive, was he yet, if you look closely at the end, he was running on. I think that things were happening too quickly for him and 2.5m might well suit. The jockey didn't look too concerned there, mind, lobbing along at the back most of the way round.

Haha! I chose the wrong race to pick the chase debutant, didn't I? Village Master takes the spoils but Supasunrise ran a cracker in the fight up the run-in, didn't he? To be honest, at halfway it looked like he might finish tailed off but he responded very well indeed to the jockey's rousting along. I'm not sure I'd be backing him in future; he looks a little lazy to me.

Anyway, no bets but good fun had as we wait for the Aintree card to be unveiled on Thursday.

Last edited:
Back