Twist Magic

Thanks, Dims, for the info on the lasses. Actually, I think 'a bitter twist' - as in a cruel twist of fate - is quite appropriate. Fateful that the race went from where it was originally planned to where it was held, fateful that he was going so well and not being a naughty boy... I don't see any disrespect in the term, to be honest.

There's not a lot worse than returning home with an empty horsebox, I feel for connections.

It has never happened to me thank God, but I imagine it's difficult to get on with it the next day... strangely enough Shadow Leader was one that hit me among the hardest.

Last edited:
That was a sad day indeed. I've never seen so many grown men cry. There wasn't a person down the Ibex who wasn't crying that evening, where many went to drown their sorrows. Everyone was devastated - the village too - and Geoff Deacon earned even more respect from me when the sole person directing the burying of him the night his body was brought back to the yard to be laid to rest beside Mysilv.

I haven't bawled my eyes out for the lost stars, but two very ordinary horses - Lawrence Wells's AUDACTER, last sighted by me at Folkestone heading for the right-hand bend for the back straight. I noted how his adoring lass had plaited his tail, and how it showed off his lovely backside. Shot when crunching his fetlock to marbles at the jump nearest to the stable canteen, where his poor lass was hysterical with grief. Ten days later, and she still couldn't go into his empty stable.

Just a few weeks ago, the sweet all-codes mare of Jeremy Naylor's, HEART SPRINGS, cruelly fatally injured when BD by a (safe) faller. He sent me a reply to my condolences saying he had returned home with 'a very empty horsebox' and couldn't believe they'd lost her.

The whole thing the next day - having to clean out the stable, remove the hairs from the grooming brushes, wash the rug for someone else to use - just too bloody heart-rending.

Last edited:
That was a sad day indeed. I've never seen so many grown men cry. There wasn't a person down the Ibex who wasn't crying that evening, where many went to drown their sorrows. Everyone was devastated - the village too - and Geoff Deacon earned even more respect from me when the sole person directing the burying of him the night his body was brought back to the yard to be laid to rest beside Mysilv.

The public were really touched by this too. It was total silence in the ring when the news broke. I just could not believe it, he was one of the ones who seemed immortal. Always a danger when we start thinking that, but some just inspire it.

Farewell, Twist. I loved watching him at his best, especially at Sandown. I'll miss him.

Condolences to his connections.

Back