Two questions.

Absolutely there is. I just don't see the point of bringing in the best people only to handicap them.

On the other hand, I think it's clear that Sheikh Mohammed has already set in motion his plans to improve things, at least on the breeding side. It's going to be a few years before he'll know if it's worked but he's spent a hell of a lot of money to get into the Galileo and Monsun bloodlines, he bought just about every decent 3yo in North America bar Curlin last year, and his recent Australian purchase is a hell of a statement of intent.

Fascinating stuff on here - this is one of the best threads we've had for a while, and what the forum is all about imo [not least as there is no personal stuff in it LOL]

I agree wityh lots said, but will jsut say I esp agree with Chris re the Dubai problem, I've said it before, but I think they should have two sets of horses and keep them in Europe or Dubai, not mix them.

Maybe with the Aus operation now, he can get Dubai horses from there, and leave the soft ground bred horses here. Was that his intention do you think? Will be interesting to see how it goes anyway - he's a great experimenter but no fool, so if it's not working he won't carry on with the same methods imo

It`s nothing to do with the progeny they`re buying. Look at the proven horses they send to Godolphin- Imperial Stride, Fast Company, Shawanda etc who just never perform at their previous peak. The Sheikh should send at least half of his animals to Fabre, Gosden, Cumani, Oxx and Stoute. He`d soon get the results.

his recent Australian purchase is a hell of a statement of intent.

But so was wintering his horses in Dubai, buying Evry, trying to win the Mebourne Cup (after Weld won it), trying to win the Kentucky Derby, setting up a new trainer in the US etc etc. I agree that he is going hell for leather at it now but I just feel he has no real strategy and it is a knee jerk reaction to the politics going on with Coolmore.

What have Coolmore fundamentally changed over the last ten to fifteen years? Same establishment, same trainer, same breeding, same buyer, same focus on European racing etc etc. They have moved slowly into Australia from a breeding perspective and don't send too many horses on international treks, especially to Dubai where there is savage money on offer but it does not fit the Ballydoyle racing schedule (all pre the current politics).

So is his statement of intent just going to be another failed attempt to do what the Aga Khan and Abdullah have been doing for years, taking on Coolmore with homebreds that have been built up over a number of years (bar the recent French purchase by the Aga).

I do not understand how traveling to Dubai did not effect the likes of Daylami, Dubai Milennium, Fantastic Light, Blanchine, Dubawi etc etc. The trainer was previously top of the tree and now he suddenly cannot train?

I think a lot the “blame” likes with Sheikh Mo himself. The general perception (wrongly) is that Magnier rules O’Brien with an iron fist, I suspect that description is far more suitable to Sheikh Mo and Bin Suroor.

Back