Uncertain weight carrying ...

Soary Stars

At the Start
Given 2lbs makes a difference ...

How much difference does it make if shortly before a race a horse relieves him or herself of a pile of poo or a puddle of pee?

If you don't see it happening for yourself, no-one tells you they're too polite.

You just can't tell what they're carrying, can you?

Weight carried is weight carried, whatever the form it takes.
A horse can be stopped with a bucket of water they say ... obviously, the other way round counts, too.
People don't seem that keen on this part of the subject tho.
Heigh ho ... neigh no.

Perfectly logical, Soary, given that it is nature's way of helping a horse run a bit faster to avoid predators. Adrenalin kicks in and and gets rid of excess weight.

At least you would know that the horse is getting ready to run!

When I worked in a hunting stable many moons ago, I would know if the hunt was nearby because all the horses left at home would rush to their windows and then, all along the line, would come: "ploop, ploop, ploop" as each horse got excited.

Dunowen Point, I think it was, got rid of his load when pulling up just after passing the winning post in front the other day. I don't recall seeing that before.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to spot that and find it fascinating, Grey! To be honest, Soary, they're only breakfasted lightly so there's not a lot to dump (although DUNOWEN POINT seemed to have stored a fair bit for the celebratory poo!) - and the consistency is very different to non-racehorses' dung. On racedays in particular, it's sloppy and generally not much per dump, as against being dumped in firm rounds into a decent pile by the average hack, pony, etc.

My horses' dung was always of interest to me, as it would be a pointer to what was being digested well and how often they were dunging, its consistency, colour, etc. Unfortunately for my father, my mother and I weren't squeamish about such discussions, and many a time he'd put down his knife and fork and, pale about the gills, ask if we couldn't please discuss this after lunch!

PS: do human athletes try to void their bowels before competitions, I wonder? Is there a stampede to the bogs by footballers before a game?

Last edited:
Dung, dung, glorious dung!
In wild stable games it has often been flung:
Posted down shirt-backs
And given a thwack,
There's nothing like dung fights
For bloody good craic;
Keep your paintballs,
Your pinballs, your tennis balls, too,
There's nothing like dunging
A good pal with poo -
Its praises for fun fights I've oftentimes sung -
There's nothing quite like a good dollop of dung!

(In happy memory of many a childhood stable fight with variously-textured 'equine products'.)

Some interesting posts there. Must say I admire Krizon's down-to-earth attitude so!

I'm reliably informed by a dedicated athlete that, yes, there are huge queues for the loos before their races.

Last edited:
Can you imagine the updates over the tannoys for punters now?

"And, as they go out for the 3.30, Dungwatch reports that STUFFED has laid a monster one in the parade ring, LOOSE ENDS has splattered a softy down the horsewalk and as we speak, POOP-POOP is doing just that right in front of you good folks in the stands."

Cue mad rush to revise all bets...

Back