Undercover Boss Paul Fisher

Aldaniti

At the Start
Thursday 5th August 9pm ch4

Paul fisher, Boss of jockey club racecourses, goes undercover to experience the impact of stinging cuts he has recently implemented in britains largest horseracing organisation

You don't think that somone might know about this and recognise him?
Bullshit for bullshits sake, it's all over the place nowadays.

I doubt many of the staff on the racecourse on racecourse day would know of him...bar maybe the senior racecourse staff. But not the services staff..

What I don't get about this programme and the secret millionaire one is how do they explain away the presence of the cameras? Also, if my big boss turned up at my work as just a colleague I'd recognise him because of the crappy magazine they send me every month. I'm sure other companies publish similar works.

Wouldn't bank on it too much, Gal - two bosses ago at one course I work at, the guy was regularly challenged by gatestaff for his badge - he never introduced himself to any of the raceday staff and it took most of us about six meetings before he was pointed out as the new boss. Useless person - he actually ran and hid when asked to make a prize presentation, and scuttled back to his office saying he didn't want to talk to anyone - particularly not the public! (Perhaps managers like that are one of racing's problems?)

I saw on the trailer they go to the seafood restaurant at Sandown. I really hope the woman who is "front of house" there is shown in bad light, she's one of the most unpleasant officious jumped up jobsworth I've ever met. She thinks she works at Claridges!

Also, the two old gents on the course crossing from the station are pretty bad too, I once had to race across the track before the Brigadier Gerard to hand some tickets to my friend as they wouldn't let her cross to meet me on the other side or put them on the desk to be collected!

It's important that every instance of staff unhelpfulness, surliness, or plain obstinacy is complained about, Gamla - racing will not help itself if its courses are still plagued by jobsworths who won't help racegoers have the best experience possible. Everyone at Goodwood (okay, I work with some at other courses) is unfailingly polite and tries to help - it's a thankless task manning badge checkpoints all day with just one 30-minute break, especially in the vagaries of British weather, but it's jobs they've chosen to do, not been enslaved into. If staff can't greet customers with a smile or a welcome word, it's a poor show. Catering staff can be precious, for sure, so you really ought to bung off any negative obs to the course's manager. If they get enough brickbats they really would be daft not to do something about them!

We need the equivalent of The Hotel Inspector - someone to act as The Course Inspector. As it would involve having to eat at different places round the courses, I might volunteer!

I have been watching the American series, it has been brilliant.

This week they are sending the President of Keeneland undercover.

What I don't get about this programme and the secret millionaire one is how do they explain away the presence of the cameras? Also, if my big boss turned up at my work as just a colleague I'd recognise him because of the crappy magazine they send me every month. I'm sure other companies publish similar works.

I think they pretend to be making a different type of programme, examining what it is like for older people in new jobs for example was the cover for the hotel boss episode I think.
It is still odd to me that more employees do not rumble these bosses when they start asking questions that betray some deeper knowledge of the business than you would expectof an outsider, although the CEO of Ramsdens was identified by one of her staff in last weeks programme.

I saw on the trailer they go to the seafood restaurant at Sandown. I really hope the woman who is "front of house" there is shown in bad light, she's one of the most unpleasant officious jumped up jobsworth I've ever met. She thinks she works at Claridges!

If its the same woman who worked there a couple of years ago I agree, stood inside the door waiting for a table whilst she jabbered on talking to her friend, then when she evenually came over she looked down her nose at us & told us all tables were booked & walked off, never been back to the restaurant since, had pie & chips in the sit down cafe inside!

We need the equivalent of The Hotel Inspector - someone to act as The Course Inspector. As it would involve having to eat at different places round the courses, I might volunteer!

You will need an assistant (me)!

A few years back I was sitting in my normal place under the stairs to the boxes in the stand at Cheltenham. All the staff knew me and left me alone except for this officious little prat of a man who kept peering down the stairs at me and, despite his colleague saying that I was always there, insisted on coming down to see who I was, on the pretext that he thought I was a staff member.

He took hold of my badge - without asking to see it - at which point I told him that if he wanted to check my badge number he had better check the 13 other badges that I had with me.

Totally ruined my day.

Oh, it's YOU in the little cardboard box, redhead? I wondered who it was, and was told to keep away, as the inhabitant, I was told, was "a bit on the wild side, and might bite". Good to know for the future!

I think we ought to offer our joint services to the BHA - nobody would know me west of the border, and you could cover the east. Unfortunately, we are denied the pleasures of Barry Cope's seafood outlets at Fontwell Park and Plumpton, due to his ill health, but I'm sure you'd manage to soldier on bravely without it!

Oh, it's YOU in the little cardboard box, redhead.QUOTE]

Not quite so little this past year, but am working on it now that I feel so much better. :lol:
Mr Cope's seafood would probably help if I could stand the stuff but sadly not - I might have to pass on that bit, unless I could take the trusty Red One with me?

I rarely bite, but do have a pretty ferocious growl when really pushed (as the registrar who upset me last week has found. He hasn't even come to work for us yet and is already terrified of meeting me. Can't think why, I only told him to mind his manners the next time that he spoke to me.).

Rude, unhelpful, officious little twerps beware!

Last edited:
It's not even overt rudeness - although I suppose indifference is a form of it - that annoys me. I popped into the Horsewalk Restaurant at Goodwood yesterday, to see if friends had yet taken their table (they hadn't). The maitre d was sitting talking to a member of staff and was aware I'd come in and was standing next to his little desk. So, did he turn to me with a pleasant smile and say, "Excuse me, I'll only be a moment?" or even stop talking? No, he didn't. On they went, until I interrupted very pleasantly to say all I wanted to know was if Mrs V. had come in. Not a smile, nothing, just looked it up and said no, she hadn't, and went back to talking.

I learned today from the pals who went that when they arrived for their delicious, but heavily priced meal, he just said "Table 36" to her when they announced themselves. Not "good morning, I'll have Bertie show you to your table" - nothing. So they were forced to ask to be shown to their table, since when there are some 50 covers, it's a bit tiresome wandering around trying to find it for yourselves. Back to catering college for him!

Last edited:
She needs to raise her illusions, Gamla, Claridge's is ferking shite :D

Also, the two old gents on the course crossing from the station are pretty bad too, I once had to race across the track before the Brigadier Gerard to hand some tickets to my friend as they wouldn't let her cross to meet me on the other side or put them on the desk to be collected!

One of the old guys on the side gate is a jumped up little weasel as well - I've had many a row with him when he's told me "you can't come in this entrance, it's for bookmakers only" when I've been carrying in a lot of kit and in possession of a badge that pretty much allows me anywhere. I used to walk straight past him whilst arguing but the last couple of years he's been strangely silent, I've won that battle. Still, every time the old git insists on stopping me to check my badge which is always freely visible anyway - and like I've said to him (and, laughably, to the jobsworth idiots on the gate at Kempton who have tried it on occasion on a Wednesday night in the winter!!!!!) it's rather an elaborate ruse to haul in loads of equipment just to try to get into a track for free, not least when I'd much rather be at home. In the case of Kempton, it has often been said to the officious ones "do you really think anyone wants to be at this shitehole that much that they'd go to so much trouble?? Besides which, you must be new as I'm here every bloody week and know most of the staff!"

What you have to remember about the part-timers on gates (Krizon aside as she's honestly not like that!!!), the males in particular, is that they are all harbouring secret Nazi ambitions and the few days a month they get to wear their uniform is all the power they get to wield so, by God, do they intend to wield it!!

I'm glad you excepted me, SL, as I was just reaching for new batteries for the Tazer...

Unfortunately, there are a number of retired coppers who take up racecourse work, probably because they yearn to be back in some form of uniform (no matter how hideous), with a set of rules to enforce. The others are those who will Bore For Britain about their years in the Scots Guards or as scout masters - all uniform/rule book addicts, you see!

But racecourse managers or Clerks of the Course should be told, or e-mailed, about poor behavioural standards of their staff. Part of working on courses for years IS about getting to know your regular visitors, knowing faces and not being jobsworthy when they come through the 'wrong' entrance for convenience's sake. Who honestly cares if the Press come through bookies' entrances, or owners come through the horsebox entrance? Provided there's ID or the face is known in context, chill out!

I was pleased to see that one of the Cheltenham managers was really on the ball last year. They had hired in a load of agency staff, mostly African. Unfortunately their attitude towards women is "I go ahead of you. Catch the door if you can." Right in Redhead II's face.

We overheard said staff member being told that everyone not working there is a customer and that he was expected to show everyone the same courtesy as they were paying his wages. Then, as the manager walked past us, we heard him on his walkie-talkie telling all other staff members the same.

Impressed.

Last edited:
In fairness, everyone on the desks are grand (usually - there's an old fella who gets a tad possessive over racecards on occasion..!!) and the worst offenders tend to be manning gates or on carpark duty - don't ask me why. It's as though they've been given absolute power for the day, they can get most imperious and stroppy!

My personal favourite was the guy on the gate for the Newbury arab racing day who didn't want to let me in and tried to get me to go to the back of the enormous queue for the goody bags full of cheap crap. He got quite confused when I told him I didn't want a bag of tat, which was what the queue was for (not to get in, the entrance was clear), I just wanted to walk in as I was working. The guy was young and foreign and clearly hadn't worked racecourses before.

Aha! Therein lies the rub - courses have their own raceday staff, such as Goodwood, but also hire in from recruitment agencies for bigger events such as Glorious. They're still manning many extra positons through at least three outsourced agencies. Some years back, I thought it might be nice to work there. I was taken on by a company called, er, "Recruit" and given a navy blazer with their logo on it, no safety briefing, no map of the course, and shunted around three different positions in one day. The make-up of the team was overseas language students trying to earn a few quid (I noted French, Spanish, Italian and African), a few Londoners who'd never been dahn sarf before, and no-one who'd worked at the course previously. It was abysmal. I think my pay (and I only did two days) arrived about six weeks after the event, too.

Most of the agencies take a third off what they charge the courses. I know that a few years ago, those working for Gold Ring (they wear bright violet blazers at Goodwood) were getting £36 for a long day's work, while the agency was charging the course £60 a day per person. And you expect SMILES? :lol:

But putting one-off staff aside, the regulars who are there meeting after meeting know the drill and should all be helpful and pleasant. If they can't manage that little, they should be reported and canned. I'm glad the manager took action, Redhead - there's no excuse for cultural differences getting in the way, but I don't suppose anyone was given training, or even a briefing, on how to behave.

Total crap, bored me to death to be honest. Hats of to the people featured, all very hard working and worthy individuals but the programme wasn't in the least bit entertaining and the ending was so stage managed it was untrue. The rewards they handed out at the end were a bit tight too!

Well, Julie the Seafood Restaurant manageress was a perfect sweetie, wasn't she? Perhaps she's very sweet to her staff, but a tigress to the public?!

I think the rewards were okay, as you don't want to patronise people to death - personally, the postie who was offered the full-time poz and given two JC all-course badges came off well, as did Mr Wootten, who's going to have a new hurdles course named after him and keep living in his on-course house after his son takes up the reins after him. Otherwise - how about an across-the-board pay rise, and sponsor all young people who want to go into catering with positions at catering colleges, giving them decent futures instead of pin money and a few tips (and Julie's Easter eggs)? If you want to do it even better commercially, then pay for them to go to college and sign 'em up as your own employees - after all, the courses are staging catered non-raceday events virtually 24/7, so you know you need them. Paying for agencies is commercially daft.

Well, Julie the Seafood Restaurant manageress was a perfect sweetie, wasn't she? Perhaps she's very sweet to her staff, but a tigress to the public?!

Wasn't the same lady Kri! The witch I was refering to was a petite brunette lady in her forties who does the meeting and (not much of the) greeting at the entrance, I think you caught a glimpse of her!

Oh, that explains it - otherwise, I'd be a bit concerned that she'd be on anti-schizo pills! The blonde Julie did seem to be a really lovely person, doing a fine job in spite of being given untrained or little-trained staff. In fact, considering the poor level of training (not) offered to the youngsters involved, I thought they did a damn good job. Problem is sometimes you get what my mother called the 'Queen for a Day' type who just loves finding problems to moan about, and can drive even a saint bonkers. When you're landed with one-off waiters aged about 18, get a few Queens whining and bitching, then you sooooo need a gem like Julie seemed to be, encouraging the troops all the time in the face of adversity!

Back