Us Ranger- D Day?

Guest_

At the Start
Time for him to finally show what he has made of back over six furlongs? Despite his poorish looking draw he will need to start winning races such as this to justify the high regard he was held in around Guineas time last year.

Absolutely. I have it as being between US Ranger and Assertive. A few others wouldn't be a huge surprise, but I think one of these two should take it.

I have it between US Ranger and Haatef. The former owes me a lot of money and I am hoping to get it back today. Haatef is a reasonable price (ew cert ?) and I will
back as a saver plus a little.

I'd doubt Haatef is good enough to win carrying a penalty.

Garnica is interesting. Honoured Guest could surprise at big odds (hovering around 40s on Betfair).

Would US Ranger want the ground as Fast as it is likely to be today over an easy 6? I'll back him anyway but not with as much confidence as I would have had on good or good to soft. It wouldn't surprise me if he just lacked the killer acceleration on this fast ground.

Interesting that two others are thinking that Wi Dud is going to step on his run at Thirsk.

When I was watching that race I had the feeling that the race was being run in slow-motion, I am aware that the official going description of Good was probably misleading as the times returned suggested the ground was Soft.

I was left with the feeling that this was one of these races when the favourite being beaten came as no surprise to some.

On a form line with Strategic Prince from last season, Haatef has a lot to find with US Ranger and the penalty, as Gareth said, will probably prove very hard to overcome. Mind you, on the other hand Prendergats has managed to get "the enforcer" on board rather than the palpably weaker Dickie Hills - why is that I wonder? Did Hamdan wake up the other morning and suddenly realise he has been employing a numpty for the past 10 years or so?

I'd guess that McDonogh didn't ride him last time because he was at the Curragh on the same day?

I would have imagined the ground would help US Ranger (I stand to be corrected though) and the fact it's his second run of the season is also a bg positive.

Perhaps a treble (rare) with Lush Lashes (others all unproven) and Cadeaux Genereaux colt in the second.

Originally posted by Tout Seul@May 14 2008, 10:42 AM
I have it between US Ranger and Haatef.
Me too TS. If they split into two groups I can these two winning their respective races.
A lot depends on whether one side is faster, though I read this week that centre draws tend to be favoured at York

I too looked hard at Guarnica, Gareth, but all form is on Heavy or not much better.
Can't see a horse with that profile enjoying the ground today

Gone for Meydan Princess in this one [PS She missed the break :rolleyes: ]

Originally posted by Sheikh@May 14 2008, 12:08 PM
What about O'Briens other one, good form last year.
Been injured, not much encouragement FTO( although there wasn't much encoragement from many from Ballydolye at that time)

IF, AoB has him back to something near last years form, the 20+ on offer will look daft

It's one of those, pay yer your money and take your chance jobs innit

US Ranger, Assertive, HoH Mike, Haatef, Utmost Respect are all interesting, but none of em enough for me to get wallet out

All the best

Hoh Mike looks the best e/w on offer at 11/1. He has decent form inc on the ground
Sonny Red won't handle it imo

PS Very happy indeed to see a nice Group winner for Lady Whent's stud, and for Bold Edge
[and for the Hannons!]

Looked like Hoh Mike got 5th, form the overhead

Well done Simmo.

Also Graham Cunningham was spot on before the race - suspected US Ranger would get going too late.

He'll (US Ranger) will put it up to the Aussie's and co at Ascot and the July Cup. Stiffer track and will hopefully be drawn better.

Well Done Assertive backers

Hoh Mike given far too much ground to make up again, track probably too sharp for US Ranger, but a promising run by him

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@May 14 2008, 03:26 PM
Maurice de Gheest is his to lose :P
I don't think six furlongs is any problem to him. If he was drawn with the others (where the speed was) I think he would have won today.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn+May 14 2008, 03:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gareth Flynn @ May 14 2008, 03:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Maurice de Gheest is his to lose :P[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Sheikh
@May 14 2008, 12:37 PM
I think one could end up without a shirt following U.S. Ranger.[/quote]
:D

Back