Us Ranger- D Day?

Agreed it's quite a hard race to read, there were some hard luck stories in there! - esp Hoh Mike

I thought US Ranger did well from the draw, certainly seemed to be an advantage being drawn low, he was the only horse in the first six who was drawn in double figures.

Cattermole got the start wrong, said that US Ranger had broken well.........not to my eye he didn't.

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@May 14 2008, 06:12 PM
I thought US Ranger did well from the draw, certainly seemed to be an advantage being drawn low, he was the only horse in the first six who was drawn in double figures.

Cattermole got the start wrong, said that US Ranger had broken well.........not to my eye he didn't.
I agree

Well, I thought after the guineas when he was staying on that he needed further, and I think it was totally the wrong decision to drop him down to 6 furlongs & 7 furlongs. Not often the coolmore team get it wrong but they have this time in my opinion, either that or the horse has been way overrated. After the guineas I thought with a bit of development he would get 10 furlongs, but who am I.

Thought today was interesting racing and that it would be profitable. The only result for me was the non-runner in the last. Tomorrow looks pretty ordinary.

Originally posted by Galileo@May 14 2008, 03:23 PM
He'll (US Ranger) will put it up to the Aussie's and co at Ascot and the July Cup. Stiffer track and will hopefully be drawn better.
14s at Betfair for the Golden Jubilee. Tempting, but as usual these days that was one awful Group 2 today.

Looking at the race initially I thought he was beaten by the draw, but when RUK showed the reverse angle, the stands side actually held sway for the first part fo the race. He looks like a horse who needs holding up but will always take an age to get going so in big field races there will always be the risk of getting into traffic problems. I backed him yesterday but I would find it impossible to back him again unless he was in a small field - and you rarely get those in sprints these days.

I don't like US Ranger. Although poorly drawn I think some of hs problems were of his own downfall. He has a tendency to race lazily and also hung left in the closing stages. Have a look too at his finishing effort in the Jersey, certainly it isn't what he promised at one stage.

Even if he'd have won narrowly yesterday, he still wouldn't have been the best horse at the weights considering the penalty of the runner-up. Beckermet is a really likeable horse as is Assertive but they've both been shown up as short of Group 1 level on various occasions. Essentially I think the Duke of York was a weak event for the grade. I fancy he'll be overbet next time on the back of this 'unlucky' run and think he still has a few lengths to find with the likes of Sakhees Secret never mind Sacred Kingdom.

It was his first drop to six furlongs on fast ground for some time. Previous Ballydoyle sprinting stars had the benefit of gradually stepping down in trip. This fella was being trained for the Lockinge before disappointing a bit at The Curragh. I'll give him his final chance at Ascot.

His step down to sprint trips was the same as Mozarts, Guineas (different version), Jersey and then 6f. If what you say is correct, then it was a poor piece of training by O'Brien. O'Brien must have thought he was a sprinter to run him over that trip on his first start for the yard and then he changes his mind over the winter. Bizarre.

Originally posted by davidjohnson@May 15 2008, 09:22 PM
His step down to sprint trips was the same as Mozarts, Guineas (different version), Jersey and then 6f. If what you say is correct, then it was a poor piece of training by O'Brien. O'Brien must have thought he was a sprinter to run him over that trip on his first start for the yard and then he changes his mind over the winter. Bizarre.
US Ranger would be more commercial as a stallion prospect if they could stretch him out to a mile. They tried him over 7 furlongs again (now as a stronger four year old) but they obvious felt he did not appreciate the trip at The Curragh.

Yesterdays event over 6 furlongs (and a very fast 6 furlongs) and on fast ground was all new to him. He was slowly enough out of the stalls and was off the bit for a few strides after a couple of furlongs.

Maybe your right, perhaps he is lazy or has a dodgy attitude but I think he will probably be much more streetwise next time.

Sakhee's Secret looked good in the July Cup but even then a 2 lenght defeat of Red Clubs is hardly earth shattering form.

The Australian horses obviously have a good record in the sprints over here but many of their victories have been very narrow ones and not the wide margin superiority displays that the press would have you think.

The Hong Kong horse could be a different kettle of fish altogether but he has to prove it outside of him country.

I would say that U.S. Ranger is being rated on his human connections.In his first race for Ballydoyle he started even money for a weak enough race-Fallon dropped him right out at the start and if I'm not mistaken he went 6s in running on betfair after that manoeuvre.He made a quick reappearance in the Foret and couldn't beat a German yoke that was 100/1.
For me he is the sort to do well in listed races and weakish Group 3's -I wouldn't be risking big money on him.Maybe he could do well in America on lasix and bute.

Sakhee's Secret looked good in the July Cup but even then a 2 lenght defeat of Red Clubs is hardly earth shattering form.

No it's not earth shattering, but if converted to middle distance it would be like Authorized beating Notnowcato, Duke of Marmalade in Juddmonte or Rail Link beating Hurricane Run, Deep Impact in Arc

Back