Using flash -- probably silly question

mrussell

At the Start
Should you always avoid using flash when photographing horses?

I'd love to take photographs near a chase fence sometime ... I'm assuming using flash would be quite an obvious thing not to do.

Also, can you actually get to such a position without a press badge?

Regards

Flash photography is prohibited at all times and places on a racecourse.

There are definitely courses where you can get a close-up view of a fence.

Exeter is a good example, they have a small viewing stand set up at the last fence.

Flash photography is prohibited at all times and places on a racecourse.

Unless you're an accredited professional, of course.....

Colin is right that at some tracks you can get fairly close to the fences but by and large you won't be allowed onto the track to get up close the way the professionals do unless you have accreditation to do so. Mind you at some tracks that doesn't make any difference anyway since they'll give any Tom, Dick or Harry accreditation without actually checking to see if they are kosher in the first place.

"Mind you at some tracks that doesn't make any difference anyway since they'll give any Tom, Dick or Harry accreditation without actually checking to see if they are kosher in the first place."

:)You haven't been talking to Uncle Goober have you, Shads?;)

Not for the last 45 minutes, no....

Besides which, since I know a lot of the photographers on course I do have some idea anyway!!! (and he's right too!!!!! :p )

Mind you, some of the pros shouldn't be allowed in either....! He'll go without being named (not that anyone would know him anyway!) but one of them chased me around Goodwood trying to get groundshots when I had a dress on....

Last edited:
Back