Lord Shanakill (USA) Fergus Sweeney
Orizaba (IRE) L. Dettori
Ryehill Dreamer (IRE) W. M. Lordan
Sayif (IRE) Seb Sanders
Set Sail (IRE) David McCabe
Shaweel Greg Fairley
Soul City (IRE) Ryan Moore
Westphalia (IRE) J. Murtagh

Westphalia is talented and the step up to 7 furlongs should suit him, but I am not keen on his attitude under pressure. I am surprised to see David McCabe on Set Sail. I was impressed with him at Gowran Park and would be disappointed if he was a pacemaker. I hope he is riding him simply because O'Donoghue and Heffernan are busy at Galway as he could start at very decent price.

Orizaba is surely better than his Coventry effort but probably not as good as his debut win suggested. This does not appear to be the strongest of renewals.

Orizaba lost a lot of ground at the start. I thought he did well to get involved. It's impossible to know whether he would have won without the messing at the start as the whole race went out the window, although i think he came out of the race with his credit enhanced. I'd be surprised if he wasn't up to winning this. Intense Focus again seems to be key formline, but it wasn't much help yesterday.

I can't believe Orizaba is 7/2. I was sure he'd be well under 2/1 and I would still be a backer. I don't feel comfortable being so out of kilter with the market, but it has to be a max bet proposition at the price.

According to the Racing Post Experts Forum yesterday, seemingly everyone knew before the Coventry that the Channon horse was not “right”…they said they could not believe that he went off as short as he did seeing that everyone was so negative about him.

According to the Racing Post Experts Forum yesterday, seemingly everyone knew before the Coventry that the Channon horse was not “right”…they said they could not believe that he went off as short as he did seeing that everyone was so negative about him.

I thought he ran a fine race in the Coventry, bar rearing in the stalls at the wrong time - if that was him in "not right" form...
The Coventry form might not be working out too well but it's surely as good as is on offer here.

Last edited:
VEUVE CLICQUOT VINTAGE STAKES (GROUP 2) (CLASS 1)

(2yo)
Winner £48,254.50
7f

Not a bad renewal of the Vintage Stakes with an eleven strong field lining up.

Firth Of Fifth looked good when winning at Newmarket and showed a very willing attitude to win on that occasion. He was not hard ridden either and pulled out more when it mattered. Whilst questionable what was in behind he looked a decent sort and should run well here. A 3lb penalty however wont make it easy.

Baycat won his first two races in good style but was firmly put in his place at Royal Ascot. He didn’t even suggest he wanted further on that run and looks outclassed here.

Instalment was another to impress on debut when winning but he too found the Royal Ascot company a bit hot. You may see improvement over this trip for an in form yard but he has alot of ground to make up on a couple here.

Lord Shanakill who was 3rd in the Coventry has just about the best form coming into this race and there was a lot to like about the way he stayed on. He shaped the extra furlong would suit and he looks a leading player here.

Orizaba was a big hype horse on debut but bettered the hype destroying some fair sorts. He looked impressive that day and was a bit disappointing in the Coventry Stakes. He did muck around in the stalls however that day and connections do think he’ll improve for this trip. The overnight rain will help his cause and he is dangerous to write off just yet.

Ryehill Dreamer is an interesting one and he looked a game and tough sort when winning a listed race last time out. A tough sort he seems to go on any ground and stayed on nicely last time. It will be interesting to see how he fares in the betting in regards to the O’Brien horse, but there was plenty to like about him last time and he looks a horse with a chance.

Sayif is probably one of the better 2yo maidens this season so far and he looked unlucky on debut when running green. Given a bit of a negative ride last time he shaped as if he was crying out for this trip. He is a very smart type and his work recently has been very impressive. This jockey really should suit but you have to raise the question as to whether he is quite up to this standard and whether he will stay the 7f. He is likely to be shorter than he should be and whilst he has claims, he does need to improve.

Set Sail is definitely the 2nd string for O’Brien and whilst he won his maiden nicely last time he does need to improve significantly at this level. He is most likely here to make sure they go a good pace for Westphalia who needs every inch of this trip.

Shaweel is one of those I think could end up a decent 10f horse next season for Mark Johnston and he stayed on well in Coventry before running very well at Newmarket plugging on when the race was over. He looks to want a mile already to me and is likely to get outpaced, but he is one to bare in mind for later in the season.

Soul City who showed a bit on debut at Windsor won a maiden at Newmarket that has since taken a big knock. However he did win and whilst those in behind looked the types to improve, the Hannon horses do run well here. He does need to improve on the bare facts of that form and is best watched in my opinion.

Westphalia I’m sure is not one of the O’Brien leading lights and I would be very surprised if he was in the same league as Mastercraftsman and Rip Van Winkle. Beaten by Bushranger last time, he was a shade disappointing but did shape as if the step up in trip would suit. I would expect to see his stablemate set a strong pace for him but whilst I’m sure there is more to come here I do think he will be shorter than he should be. For me he has claims but others look better.

Summary

This is definitely a strong group 2 over 7f and there look a few nice types coming to hand in it.

I expect good runs from the Newmarket 1st and 3rd Firth Of Fifth and Shaweel and they could grab places but they look vulnerable to something with a bit of class.

Westphalia and Sayif are others to consider and I do think one of them will be 3rd. However I expect the Coventry 3rd and 5th to fight this out.

I’m sure there is more to come from Orizaba who ran so well on debut and it wouldn’t surprise me if this trip and course suited him better. He should bowl along just off the pace and I would expect to see him stay on well this time, however I just think LORD SHANAKILL may uphold the form and whilst he never looked like winning the Coventry he was keeping on all the way to the line. He is sure to improve for this 7f and Karl Burke very rarely ups one in class unless he thinks its good enough. I was very impressed with the Ascot run and I fancy him to go a couple better here.

Of the others Ryehill Dreamer is clearly a nice progressive sort and he may be of each way value, especially if the market speaks in his favour.

Selection: LORD SHANAKILL (8/10) (E/W)

Savers: Orizaba & Ryehill Dancer (E/W)

Back