Wednesdays Racing

del boy

Senior Jockey
Looking for a betting proposition today. It looks as exciting as yesterday...

1.15 Down Royal
Im not bad about the Favourite, Colleoni to me looks like a weak enough favourite, wasnt wonderful on the flat in my eyes. The one that i do like finished behind Colleoni the last day, Timari. Bit of a swing in the weights, but i think Timari may improve a bit more. Has some decent form on the flat.

Chevalier Country was thrown in at the deep end last time out, who knows what its like. A few quid knocking about in the market for this one today, so it may be thought well enough of. Out of the rest of them, the Weld horse with Ruby aboard is running over Hurdles, i tend to avoid them..

I think il have a win bet on Timari and then will have a reverse forecast with him and chevalier country.

In the 1.45 i think Judge Roy Bean is there for the taking. Im between the Mullins horse and Jessica Harringtons, swaying towards Drive on Regardless. Won a couple of heavy ground bumpers, i just get the impression that the horse is getting the hang of hurdling now..

May chance a small rev f/c with Harringtons as well.

I have backed Timari. He had an ascending profile on the flat and was not overraced. He should still be relatively fresh, comes from stock which does well over hurdles and should improve from debut.

In the second race I have gone for Fier Destrier. There are lines of form which suggest that his run behind stablemate Kimberlite King may have been (slightly) undervalued, and Judge Roy Bean might be one of those horses that keeps getting beat by something. I have put them in a forecast in case I'm wrong. The form of Paradis de Thaix's last race hasn't worked out at all and Drive on Regardles is behind Fier Destrier on ratings yet is half the price.

The Meade entry in the bumper is weak in the betting, which is usually something to note where that yard is concerned. I've had a speculative forecast on the fav, Ballymak, which won't want for stamina, and Milanette from Colm Murphy's yard who gets age and sex allowances.

I've had a speculative forecast on the fav, Ballymak, which won't want for stamina, and Milanette from Colm Murphy's yard who gets age and sex allowances.

A bet that went down in a somewhat unlucky way, it's fair to say. :mad::(:mad:

Sure to have been plenty of in-running carnage with both Judge Roy Bean and Powerstation getting turned over.

Unfortunate incident in the bumper, but a poor piece of riding by Colm Sharkey nonetheless.

Should the Clerk Of The Course have some questions to answer re the bumper incident?
Should such a protubing "dolling off" have been placed so close to the finish. I would excuse amateur/conditional jockeys in a driving finish for not seeing such an obstacle until too late.
If there was bad ground that needed to be dolled off, could the rail have not been erected in a more easy/soft graduation rather than at a severe rt-angle to the direction of running?

Clerk of the course so now questions to answer...there to save the ground. Jockey's job to know the course.

I'd excuse them too since they were wearing mud-spattered goggles with the sun directly in their eyes - we most of us know from driving what that is like as regards visibility! If the sun is low and shining directly down the approach it's utter stupidity to doll off part of the course like that. There could have been a very serious accident - Clerk needs a severe seeing to

If we are using the "road driving" analogy, then this course obstruction was akin to a fallen tree-trunk across a road directly after a bend.
I can understand the requirement to protect a certain stretch of ground, but the dolling-off could have been placed in a more graduated way -- i.e., in a gentle, progressive way outwards from the side rail, rather than a sudden jutting rt-angle from the side.

There is no doubt that this was a dangerous placement. It is clear that neither jockey saw it until too late. Whether they are culpable or not is beside the point. They obviously would not have ridden into it had they seen it in time.
On safety grounds alone, and as a precautionary exercise to prevent a re-occurence in the future I really do think that the authorities need to examine the all the circumstances alongside any alleged incompetence by the two jockeys concerned.

If we are using the "road driving" analogy, then this course obstruction was akin to a fallen tree-trunk across a road directly after a bend.
I can understand the requirement to protect a certain stretch of ground, but the dolling-off could have been placed in a more graduated way -- i.e., in a gentle, progressive way outwards from the side rail, rather than a sudden jutting rt-angle from the side.

There is no doubt that this was a dangerous placement. It is clear that neither jockey saw it until too late. Whether they are culpable or not is beside the point. They obviously would not have ridden into it had they seen it in time.
On safety grounds alone, and as a precautionary exercise to prevent a re-occurence in the future I really do think that the authorities need to examine the all the circumstances alongside any alleged incompetence by the two jockeys concerned.

They are jockey who were (or should) have been fully aware of the track configuration and layout - it is really not that much to ask.

I fear for them going over fences if looking ahead is an issue....

LOL! - good point; but in the heat of riding a finish such things as having walked the course (or looked at the map in the WR) much earlier can go out the window... You ride a finish with your head down! And the main jock who was given the ban has already said that he couldn't see the obstruction as he was dazzled by the sun in his eyes.

So I think the CofC was as much to blame!

Have to disagree with that I'm afraid Grey. Had the two horses not done themselves no good, Bally would have only been 3rd.

Yes and no, Flame. If there had been no rail then Bally Mak would only have finished third and my forecast bet would have failed anyway.

However, if Milanette had come into the straight on the far side of Mr Sharkey's horse it would have escaped being interfered with and would have won, and I would have had a 6/1 winner. And if Mr Sharkey had proceeded to ride into the rail anyway, Bally Mak would have been second and my forecast would have won too.

Last Race Enquiry Sheet Down Royal

The Stewards enquired into an incident in the closing stages of this race involving Milanette, ridden by Mr M.P. Fogarty, placed second and Last Draw, ridden by Mr C.D. Sharkey, unplaced (unseated rider) where it appeared Last Draw ran the wrong side of a railed off doll and carried Milanette the wrong side also.

Evidence was heard from the riders concerned.

Having viewed the video of the race and considered the evidence, the Stewards were of the opinion Mr M.P. Fogarty had, through no fault of his own, taken the wrong course, as detailed under Regulation 9, and they disqualified him from second place, and they amended the result to read. 1st Ballymak, 2nd Do The Bookies 3rd Master Cullen, 4th Carsonstown Boy.

They were however of the opinion Mr C.D.Sharkey had ridden carelessly, causing both his mount, Last Draw and Milanette to take the wrong course, and they suspended him for 9 racedays (tbc).
Mr Ion Hamilton, Turf Club Clerk of the Course, also attended this enquiry.

Wrong course taken / missed fences out when should have jumped them/ jumped hurdles when shouldnt have/ crashed through railings / rode a finish a circuit too soon.

ALL jockey error, simple as that.

Trying to justify howling errors such as these with excuses such as ' riding a finish with heads down' is barking up the wrong tree. If any jockey does not know the course then that is laziness, complacency or stupidity and quite possibly all three. These things will always happen and unless the horse was unsteerable there is no excuse other than 'i fucked up'

I wasn't justifying it and I agree the jocks should all know where the course is inc any such hazards.
However in *this* instance I do think there are mitigating circumstances, ie putting hazards in a positon where they are well nigh invisible due to low sun!

One thing they hammer into you at compulsory jockey seminars (that you must attend before getting your licence) is that it is entirely your responsibility to make sure that you familiarise yourself with the course you are riding and that you must read the noticeboards in the weighing room for any information pertaining to your ride. Jockeys can be fined heavily for not even knowing whether or not their ride appears on the list of 'easily marked' horses in the weighing room, for instance; they don't even have to mark them, just the lack of checking is enough to earn them the fine. It's much the same for knowing the course and/or any amendments made to it during the day, including hurdles/fences bypassed.

Back