Weld

eric c

At the Start
He has a serious record at Leopardstown but has a hard time winning at the Curragh----2 /106 last year and none so far this year. In the previous 10 years his record is atrocious--apart from one year---there must be an explanation.

I wonder has it anything to do with (a) field sizes, (b) quality of races and © ground.

Leopardstown conditions races rarely have more than six or seven runners whereas Curragh contests tend to have ten. Leopardstown also has a number of graduation style races and not sure if there is any difference at Curragh. O'Brien has a good record at the Curragh and tends to introduce his really nice two year olds there. Finally, Leopardstown has a lot of racing during the Summer and Weld horses invariably like top of the ground. I'm just wondering does the large amount of racing at the Curragh at the start and end of the season on soft ground not suit his runners. All guesses and no science behind much of the above.

Originally posted by Sheikh@May 12 2008, 11:06 PM
I would be interested if you felt like elaborating on that.
I think he runs many horses every year as non triers, and not only thinking in the handicaps, he is a cheater. It is a pity because he has the ability to be a top trainer and many good horses in the stable but he should have his reasons for that.

suny, that is a defamatory insinuation. I'd advise the mods to consider softening it before it attracts the attention of Messrs Sue, Grabbitt and Runne.

I think he is a top trainer but what i would say is that the stable jockeys second choice for O'Brien or Bolger sometimes win where Dermots invariably finish down the field. Apart from that, well everyone handicaps horses don't they.

It takes a seriously good European trainer to win two melbourne cups and a Belmont. But the one I liked was Free to Speak. Ran forever but was still winning handicaps off top weight on his grond at 8 and 9 years of age. I think he is one of the top trainers in the world. He does like landing the big races and this may mean that he is often easy on his horses early in their careers but look at Gai Waterhouse. She has made an art of prepping horses to win Group races after being unable to win a maiden three weeks earlier.

Whether it's in the U.S or Aus the ability to travel, arrive with a horse that is in good enough shape to give of its best and know and that the horse is equipped for the challenges it will meet is impressive.

Tom Segal once said that he "could win any race he wanted to"

Given that his strike rate is a very ordinary 13% over past five season, would appear that tehre are a lot of races he doesnt want to win

Seamus McGrath had the problem when he trained at Glencairn---beside Leopardstown---could not get a winner there but had a great record at Curragh.

He solved the problem by taking his horses for a van ride around County Wicklow-prior to racing.

Harry hit the nail on the head---maybe Weld would appreciate getting the message.

Meanwhile I will not be backing any Weld runners at Curragh---particularly 2 yr olds.

I have found him an impossible trainer to wiegh up and so no longer bet his horses. Often in maidens they are ridiculously short prices and yet get turned over. Then when least expceted they sail home.

Last night's racing was typically frustrating for his backers - his odds on filly is turned over in the Group Race (including by a 70 rated animal who was beaten two nights earlier in an egg and spoon race - I mean, what was all that about?), and then infuriatingly wins the next race with an unraced maiden.

A few years back you could rely on Ballydoyle to come up with the goods in the Irish maidens and pattern events, but since they have changed their training methods even they are hard to read. In general I struggle to make a penny on Irish racing these days.

If you folllw the ones he trains for Coolmore you will find it easier to weigh up what's going on.The one that won the group race last night will win a Grp 1 imo .

I meant to say moyglare by the way (as did you) and yes the majority are. The horse last night in the first maiden was his own though.

I've been following carribean Sunset for a while now, lovely filly and she will improve again. I thought she was given a lot to do (can't figure out why Danny followed her rather than the winner up the rail )

Weld has some lovely Dalakhani horses to follow too.

Can't say I have any explanation to offer. I don't even know whether the sample is large enough to say the difference is statistically significant.

Of his two in yesterday's Guineas I think Mad About You is the one with the greater potential.

Originally posted by eric c@May 26 2008, 05:46 PM
Look at stats : Curragh 0/20 == 0%

Leopardstown 9/22 == 41%

Anyone have an explanation??
The fact that his horses are trained on the course every day might lead to a degree or boredom or better put a change of scenry (going to other tracks) gets them more motivated or interested?

Back