Welsh National

Hamm

At the Start
Any views?

Teaforthree stands out, but 4/1 is a crazy price at this stage. He should be bigger on the day.

Giles Cross must be worth an each way bet at 11s. 2nd in the last 2 years, he will love the ground and the track and is the ideal horse for this. There may be something unexposed which will have a few pounds on him, but they will first need to handle ground, track and trip as well as he will, and few do.

Yes TeaforThree very worthy fav but as short one at that.

Thought Alfie Spinner might be the dark horse, myself.

Truly the toughest course ever when the rain comes could be for the best and hopefully it will be half decent ground and make for a better race

Any views?

Teaforthree stands out, but 4/1 is a crazy price at this stage. He should be bigger on the day.

Michel le Bon has a similar chance to Teaforthree on a line through the Package but is double the price. Tempting.

My money is on ROYAL CHARM @ 33/1 who ran a super race last time out behind Sona Sasta, when staying on stoutly into 3rd and is weighted to reverse that form. Cannot quite understand the massive price discrepancy between the two? He'll love the ground , he loves Chepstow, he's well handicapped & looks progressive as an 8yo, also Cannington Brook who was 11 lengths behind him in 4th last time out, has since gone on to win.

Despite Mark Grant again being jocked-up, I will row-in again with Soll, who jumped and travelled well for a long way in the Hennessy, before being done for pace in the straight. Softer ground at Chepstow should also suit.

i think Universal Soldier is a good candidate for the race, form ties in with a few of these through the NH Chase at the festival. Loves soft ground (didnt get it in the 4miler), and appears to have been kept for this. 14-1, a good each way bet & the trainer deserves to land a big one.

taken from CL site after his seasonal debut on 24th November;

.. Universal Soldier was a brilliant second at Haydock - he has had a really rushed preparation so there should be a huge amount of improvement in him and also with the step up in trip next time.

Last edited:
Not the answer I am looking for

Prince was on the right lines by saying Newbury,so rather than clutter up this thread the answer I was looking for was that this was the only year the WGN has ever been run in England.

Last edited:
What's the weather like in the area - will it be proper heavy ground, or that horrible sticky stuff we get when it's drying out?
Any help appreciated.

Back