What Is Your Favourite Fish ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ardross
  • Start date Start date
1 Scallops (in a rich sauce)
2 Langoustines (in a rich sauce/mayonnaise or as scampi with fresh tartare sauce)
3 Crab (in a rich sauce/mayonnaise)
4 Wild Salmon (in a rich sauce/mayonnaise or when properly smoked)
5 Turbot (in a rich sauce)
6 Sole (in a rich sauce)
7 Lobster (in a rich sauce/mayonnaise)
8 Other Prawn type derivitaves (The huge king prawns you get in Portugal probably should be higher)
9 Oysters (Rockafellar(sp?))
10 Haddock (in a rich sauce, or battered, or properly smoked)
11 Cod (in a rich sauce or battered, or properly smoked)

... river trout, sea trout, any other white fish, mussels, monkfish, sea Bass etc

37. Farmed Salmon (in a rich sauce/mayonnaise)

I would happily do an Ardross and turn into a fish eating vegetarian.

Just as a matter of interest, I have a friend who was brought up in Kerry from a big family. They couldn't afford sausages or cornflakes or the like, so every morning for the breakfast one of them would go down to the harbour and scoop up a couple of bucketfuls of scallops to bring home and fry. How times change.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Dislike

Tuna, Swordfish, Shark, Raw Oysters, slimey smoked salmon, salty fish that has been coloured smoked, Mackeral, Sardines (yes even fresh ones).

PEPSI unless stated on the packaging fish fingers are a concoction of white fish......

on a par with these crab sticks that are crab flavoured although basically they are white fish................... :o

I as stated could live on shellfish too...............................

Ardy - I like just to turn Monkfish on a warm pan in some Irish butter, salt, and crack some black pepper on top. Serve with small new potatoes and asparagus tips. I hate the way too much sauce can hamper my enjoyment of sea food.

Thanks I shall bear that in mind for next time ! I cooked it wrapped in foil with garlic so they went soft - and then drizzled with oilive oil with new potatoes and haricot beans so pretty close .

I must admit that unlike Melendez I am a bit wary of rich sauces - sometimes they can be delicious but sometimes rathe too heavy with too much cream

merlin

the better quality ones i eat are cod :lol: :D

jacmac

in the fifties disreputable resturants used to pass off monk fish as lobster as in those days monk fish was considerably cheaper they used to wash the lobster shells and fill themwith monk fish

now days monk fish is very popular in its own right and the price far exceeds the price of cod so i doubt if monk fish is an ingredient of crab sticks unless of course u shop at harrods :lol: :lol:

i like lobster mornay and thermidor

and oyster breadcrumbed in garlic sauce

but i am in agreement with some here i like my fish served plain with a touch of rosemary or in the case of sardines with a touch of garlic

but i dont like any fish dripping with sauces leave that for the french

My wifes family-who come from the Irish midlands are all disgusted by fish and I always get looks of pity/amazement anytime I order seafood dishes in their presence.
Monkfish would be my personal favourite followed by King Prawns.

hp_mikefish_bw.jpg

Great thread this:) . Found it looking for another topic

I gave up meat 3 years ago but eat fish daily

Salmon is probably my favourite

Monkfish is very nice and a notable mention for Sea Bream

Day to day, I'd mostly eat haddock, cod and smoked mackerel. Love a bit of smoked salmon hot or cold smoked.

Seafood love it all really though I can take or leave mussels. Having a seafood platter for lunch tomorrow - lobster, langoustines, oysters, mussels, prawns, cockles and possibly some crab. £32 for 2 at the crab shack in Oban.

Gurnet or Rock Eel as some call it for me.
Looking back through this thread, wonder where some of the earlier contributors are now?

Last edited:
Day to day, I'd mostly eat haddock, cod and smoked mackerel. Love a bit of smoked salmon hot or cold smoked.

Seafood love it all really though I can take or leave mussels. Having a seafood platter for lunch tomorrow - lobster, langoustines, oysters, mussels, prawns, cockles and possibly some crab. £32 for 2 at the crab shack in Oban.

The platter consisted of a whole lobster, nice sized piece of hot smoked salmon, crab claws, langoustines, pickled herring, squid, whelks, prawns and more mussels than you could shake a stick at. Tremendous.

Back