What Was The First Race Winner You Ever Saw On A Racecourse?

harry

At the Start
After watching Dessie I couldn’t wait to go and see horse racing for real.
My first time was Taunton, around 1989/90 ish?
The first race winner was Aimee Jane, MC Pipe, Peter Scudamore.
I couldn’t believe how better it was watching it live than on TV.

Anyone remember theirs?

The David Robinson owned Nice Music, at Doncaster, trained by Michael Jarvis (iirc).Looked an absolute picture of health and athleticism to my untrained eye, in the paddock, and thoroughly justified my over the top comments to my friends, when he duly skated in.

Last edited:
Oh So Risky on the Friday of the Hennessy meeting. Looking back, two of my future favourite horses of that era also won that day; Another Coral and Crystal Spirit.

No idea what won the first race, but it was the '95 Scottish national meeting, featuring champion hurdler Alderbrook and the big race went to Willsford.

What a horse, so classy and so consistent on the big stage.

His Drinmore win over See More Business and his Stayers performance just magic.

They don’t make them like him anymore.

First NH meeting I went to was the Gold Cup when Garrison Savannah won. Memorable as I had £20 on at 16s.

So the first winner I saw would have been the Triumph Hurdle winner that day Oh So Risky (?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was taken to a few meetings as a kid, but the one I actually remember believe it or not was Galileo winning at Epsom in 2001.

I arrived late with family on the day and only got in the racecourse as Vintage Premium won the handicap for Richard Fahey at 16/1

Little did I know what I had witnessed when Galileo won... although I did shout 'well done Mick' to Kinane as he walked back with him.

A great derby winner and sire.

I went the next year when High Chapparel won but September 11th had happend by then and the atmosphere wasn't the same.

The sense of a new millennium buzz and optimism had fizzled out, in my mind at least.

Last edited:
I was four years old, one of the days of the Royal Ascot meeting, we went every year as a family to the heath. It was a grey horse, 'cos I always bet on grey horses. On the shoulders of brother no 3 at the winning line, grey goes past as the winner, man in front of us turns round to my brother and says was that X ( no idea of name), brother says yes , I won, I won says the man.... I burst into tears saying no no that's my horse...I used to think that only one person could bet on each horse in a race...would jump up and down in front of my Dad saying HURRY UP...as he studied the card...and he always backed Lester...to go and put the bet on before anyone else got there.

No idea what the first winner would have been but it was the Monday of the September weekend of 1973 at Hamilton. My old man took me there for my 18th birthday. First time ever at a track and his first time for many many years although we went to Shawfield dogs fairly often.

I remember backing a horse ridden by Brian Connorton in the first or second race, a selling race probably, because an older brother was a big Connorton fan, and it finished third at 33/1. I had backed it place-only on the Tote and it paid 28/1 for the place. I don't think that would happen nowadays. I was only betting 10p at a time as it was all I could afford being on the eve of embarking on my university studies and I think I had budgeted for 20p per race max so I felt loaded at the end of the day being still about £2 up!

Can’t remember the horse, but it was a Friday in July 1984 and bunked off school with two mates (who are still friends) to go to Ascot

Free to get in as we told the old boys at the gate we were meeting one of our dads inside. I can even remember now what it felt like to be up close to the horses and we had no problems getting bets on with the bookies! First of many visits…

Back