Where did you lose your virginity?

Warbler

At the Start
Following on from the comments made by someone (was it Melendez?) regarding the 'gojumpracing' BHA promotion, and the observation that the discounted offers were being applied to major meetings (who wouldn't necessarily be experiencing attendance issues anyway) to the possible detriment of smaller local tracks; I felt there was something in this.

Big meetings can be a little bit daunting to the uninitiated, they can also bring out some less desirable elements too. On top of this, big tracks rarely have the intimacy of a smaller track. I think if I were going to introduce someone to racing and was allowed my pick, I'd probably nominate a nice Summers evening at Salisbury. There is, as was pointed out, the other issue about supporting smaller in tracks who are likely to be in greater need, and as a learning curve towards understanding how a meeting operates, the big festivals or weekend feature cards might not necessarily be the best vehicle to stimulate interest off. In event, once familiar with the smaller tracks it is only a matter of time before a convert starts to salivate at the prospect of moving up a league anyway.

So by way of curiousity and market research, where did you first attend and lose your racing virginity?

If memory serves me right, it might have been Leicester, midweek in my case. I'd kept a passing interest in racing and could read the form on a card to a level, and wasn't averse to odd gamble on info received, or the usual races in the calender, but I think this was the first time I ever went to a race track as a spectator. I seem to remember that my first bet won (Petruska 4/1) and I won with High Tatra (11/1) on the same card. I'm pretty certain I had a third winner too, so I suppose it was inevitably downhill from that moment onwards.

I also remember going with about half a dozen work colleagues, although I don't recall that anyone was particularly knowledgable or acting as a guide, so to speak. It must be unusual for someone to attend their first meeting on their own, and so any introductory offers must surely target groups, or known race goers who can promote the idea amongst friends and introduce groups?. Did anyone first attend a race meeting on their own as a matter of interest? There was certainly a social element to my first meet as I recall, but my own interest wasn't confined to the alcohol as I did have some background knowledge of the sport too.

I'd just be curious to know what spread we get in terms of geographical location, and quality of meeting, as I suspect that Melendez (if indeed it was he?) might very well be right

Last edited:
Ripon. Can't remember it, I was only 5.

The first one that I remember would be Huntingdon when I was 11.

The Curragh at 9 years of age and i remember it so well as it was also where i had my first bet. curse that day! Con Collins (God rest him) gave me a good thing, ( he had a satchel with him after the race which i thought was money at the time but years later it dawned on me it was the colour bag!!!) bloody horse should have got stuffed at least then id probably be a few quid better off!

Last edited:
In 1984 in Madrid racecourse, hipodromo de La Zarzuela.

In England 1991 at Newmarket July Course.

Haydock - Sad Mad Bad won the first race a novice hurdle, Fourth In Line for Venetia Williams won the novices chase aged 11 and Dom Samurai won the Greenalls National Trial back in the days when they raced in sleet and snow and mist so you couldn't see anything, Earth Summit, Nahthen Lad, Dun Belle also ran that day and the winner of the bumper was decent but I can't remember his name :(

First one I paid to get into that is.

Carlisle when I was about 8. My elderly aunts knew one of the gatemen so they would take me after the first two races when he'd let us in for nothing. I remember Ginger McCain's Imperial Black was one of the runners.

My first trip to a course was on August 26th, 1974. It was a family day out and proved quite exciting. (I still have the racecards, 32 years on)

My Dad and I were wandering along the bookies stands and got separated, on meeting up again he told me how he had been pushed aside by someone handing wads of notes to the bookies to be followed by a scratching of the price. Needless, to say, that’s where his fiver had gone.

Off I toddled to do the same, it was easier said than done - as quickly as I joined a queue, a punter pushed everyone aside threw wads of money at the bookie and the price was scratched. Eventually, a kindly bookie refused the yell of ‘£200 to £2500, No 8’ and took my bet (£3) first, quickly scratching the price before taking on the much bigger transaction.
The disappointed punter took his frustration out on me, using words involving holidaymakers and sex.
The 4:20 race duly got under way and was won by No8, by a distance still going away. Anyone know the name of No 8 .....

MR2

This thread is much less interesting than I thought it was going to be.

The title was designed to catch the attention, and lead to an inevitable anticlimax:p although I'm surprised more people haven't followed Tracksides example and answer both questions:rolleyes:. It also depends of course on what stories people want to divulge regarding their first racecourse experience as to whether there's an anecdote or two flying around but the information its turning up I actually think is quite interesting, in that it appears to be backing up Melendez's (or whoever it was?) assertion. If we can get over 30 answers (I believe the sample becomes statistcally 'significant' for stats purposes at this point? - don't ask why - I don't know) I suspect there's a few other questions that would be interesting about month of the year, number of people in party, who introduced you, jumps or flat etc

Last edited:
I went in at the deep end. My first day at the races was the Tuesday of the 1976 Ebor Meeting. It was everything I hoped it would be. On a beautiful sunny day Piggott rode the first winner, Padroug, for Vincent O'Brien in the Acomb. Other winners on the card included Wollow, ridden by Gianfranco Dettori, in the Benson and Hedges Gold Cup, Sarah Siddons (Yorkshire Oaks) and Coed Cochion (Melrose). I went with my Dad who'd been a regular racegoer in his younger days but hadn't been to a track in ages and it was the first of many such days out with him for the next thirty years until his death in 2005. I'd say we'd averaged 20-25 days a year over that period.

I don't go as often now. Partly, it's because it's not the same going without him but it's less attractive generally these days taking into account cost, betting value (relative to the exchanges) and the fact that it's all available on the racing channels from the comfort of an armchair.

I'll never completely stop going, though.

Hamilton Park. My father took me along as a birthday treat (16th? 17th?). I'd been dog-racing a few times (never ever beat them) but this was my horseracing cherry being blown to the wind.

I remember backing a horse ridden by Brian Connorton (a favoutire jockey of an older brother), which came third at 33/1. I backed it place only on the tote and it paid 28/1.

As for the other, being a good Catholic boy, I waited until I was married.

My first trip to a course was on August 26th, 1974. It was a family day out and proved quite exciting. (I still have the racecards, 32 years on)

My Dad and I were wandering along the bookies stands and got separated, on meeting up again he told me how he had been pushed aside by someone handing wads of notes to the bookies to be followed by a scratching of the price. Needless, to say, that’s where his fiver had gone.

Off I toddled to do the same, it was easier said than done - as quickly as I joined a queue, a punter pushed everyone aside threw wads of money at the bookie and the price was scratched. Eventually, a kindly bookie refused the yell of ‘£200 to £2500, No 8’ and took my bet (£3) first, quickly scratching the price before taking on the much bigger transaction.
The disappointed punter took his frustration out on me, using words involving holidaymakers and sex.
The 4:20 race duly got under way and was won by No8, by a distance still going away. Anyone know the name of No 8 .....

MR2

I'm guessing you mean Gay Future. I have to say you must have imagined the scenario you describe as the horse was famously not backed at all on course, hence the success of the coup.

Here's a ling to the race as it appeared in the press:

http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1734637&l=eb562&id=561405829

Last edited:
Aintree 2000 for the National in my first year at uni. If I remember rightly we were in the Steeplechase enclosure, saw virtually nothing and got soaked! My parents weren't into racing and we didn't live near any courses hence I started out quite late I think.

I remember my first day's racing vividly; it was October 1989 at Musselburgh (I was at University in Edinburgh) and I kept backing Pat Eddery without success. The second race was won by a horse called Salman and Mark Prescott and George Duffield landed the last.

Back