Where did you lose your virginity?

Grey horse trained by DK called Prince of America. Caught on the line at Leop. He was 5/1 and I had 50p on. Although he was beaten the potential was tantalising

This thread got me thinking and i done a spot of research.

I think my first meetings would have been at Dundalk, but my first memory and probably what got me hooked was backing a horse called Sharp Invite, trained by Paddy Mullins. I always thought it was at dundalk, but i checked and it was at Fairyhouse back in 1993 in a listed hurdle.. I had a pound on it at 16/1, and i remember the bookies paying me £20! First and last time i got a little extra from them!! Remember thinkin i was rich beyond my wildest dreams, and i was afraid of losing it or being pick pocketed!! I think that was the last time i was ahead with the bookies....:o

Sligo in the late 80's, and it hasn't changed a bit. My first trip racing to the UK was to Chester about 8 years ago

Uttoxeter in 1986 I think. It was a bank holiday and the first bet I had was Wolfhanger who went off at 4/5 and was soundly beaten despite me thinking I had fantastic value at evens.

Can`t remember too much else about the meeting except for a horse called Sallisses winning at 16/1 having been backed by my sister who I didn`t really see eye to eye with from birth. Her taunting celebrations proved to be the final straw and I have barely seen her in the 20 odd years since.

Happy days!

LOL rory !!!! (sorry, Im sure its genuine, but that just made me chuckle!!)

My first time proper was Salisbury - we went on the bus,and it took ages....

before that,Dad and I used to get the bus to Wimborne,and then a taxi to Badbury Rings for the P2P, though Im fairly sure that only started after we had a trip to the local one in Cornwall when I was on holiday with Lyn and David.... god - I must have been 12....

If we're counting point to point's, I lost my virginity at the ripe old age of 1 (or less probably) at Tattersall's Farm or the Naul!

Worcester in the 70's. My friend and I skived off a dull afternoon from College. Backed a winner because her name was like mine!

Kempton, a flat meeting, back int he 7u0s, part of a bank holiday trip from a London Theatre Club. but it doesn't count to me as I was only there for the jolly.

So properly, for the racing:
Newton Abbott, on an impulse, on the way down to see my mother's former carer. I'd been reading the paper in the morning and wanted to watch (and back) a newcomer of Hen Knight's. Filly, name began with an R... first run, and she won. There was also an old favourite running - a horse with a Scottish name, which also slips my mind now... Year would be around 2000. Like Mclean, but it's not Mclean... My mind really is going! Alas alack.

Btw while trying to find the name of the latter I came across Mr Mulligan, anyone remember why he suddenly stopped racing, when intended to go for the KG and Gold Cup etc? - he was 9 when he last raced in 1998. He'd be 21 now.

Don`t like to admit this chaps but my Dad took me to Chepstow for the Welsh Grand National in about 1951. As I recall David Nicholson on Limonali beat Michael Scudamore on Clover Bud. When I was having a drink with the old Duke many years later and told him I was there he couldn`t believe anyone could remember it. When Scudys grandson Tom ,occassionally rides for me, I remind him of it.

I'm another latecomer to the sport.

My first meeting was a last minute decision to join a stag do at Chester. Was hooked immediately.

Kempton, a flat meeting, back int he 7u0s, part of a bank holiday trip from a London Theatre Club. but it doesn't count to me as I was only there for the jolly.

So properly, for the racing:
Newton Abbott, on an impulse, on the way down to see my mother's former carer. I'd been reading the paper in the morning and wanted to watch (and back) a newcomer of Hen Knight's. Filly, name began with an R... first run, and she won. There was also an old favourite running - a horse with a Scottish name, which also slips my mind now... Year would be around 2000. Like Mclean, but it's not Mclean... My mind really is going! Alas alack.

Btw while trying to find the name of the latter I came across Mr Mulligan, anyone remember why he suddenly stopped racing, when intended to go for the KG and Gold Cup etc? - he was 9 when he last raced in 1998. He'd be 21 now.

Mr Mulligan broke down when winning on his seasonal reappearance at Ayr in the Sean Graham Chase I believe; struggled to beat a horse called Ask Me Later who was owned by a guy I know but was stones inferior.

Trying to identify your day at Newton Abbot but struggling ~ Hen Knight has never trained a racecourse debutant to win there and the last of her winners at the track was back in 1997. Wondering if you mean another lady trainer.

No - it was def NA and def Hen Knight, what was the winner in 1997? - though I don't think it can have been that far back. I didn't have the money to go racing until after my mother died - I'd only been in Suffolk a year in 1997 and was still busy in publishing. Maybe the horse was only placed? - I certainly felt vindicated in my visit though I didn't bet in those days. It's so long ago my memories are hazy, and I didn't know my way around a racecourse in those days so stayed fairly rooted to the spot! I've tried to identify the day too and failed LOL

I've followed racing, sometimes closely when I had access to a telly and the time to watch, and sometimes at quite a distance, all my life since the 50s. But I only got closely involved about 10 years ago (ie watching all I could, reading the press etc) and started going racing only c7/8 years ago, the same time I joined clubs and had shares in the first horse. But I only started betting c 3/4 years ago once I thought I had some chance of making it pay!

November 2001. A horse called Mattan won the opener and Macgeorge ran in the handicap chase. Hen had no winners but Broken Dream was narrowly beaten in the second novices' hurdle. How did I do?

This is easy as I keep all my racecards.

First flat meeting:
Chester - 9th September 1989.

Anyone remember Curia Regis? Useful sort, rated 104 as a 3yo. Won a Nursery on the card.

First Jump meeting:
Leicester - 30th December 1989.

I was more adventurous in those days, I was gagging to go to as many courses as possible. Kittinger won the Leicestershire Silver Fox Handicap Chase. Willsford was fourth (those names do ring a bell)

First decent meeting:
York - 23rd August 1990.

Dayjur`s Nunthorpe. Say no more.

Sadly Mr Mulligan was put down in 1999 aged 11 after being kicked by a companion in the field. Story can be found on the famousracehorses website.

November 2001. A horse called Mattan won the opener and Macgeorge ran in the handicap chase. Hen had no winners but Broken Dream was narrowly beaten in the second novices' hurdle. How did I do?

Absolutely brilliant!! That was about 6 weeks after my Ma popped her clogs. And how could I have forgotten Macgeorge's name??! Shame on me! I missed the opener btw. Now I'm puzzled why I remembered Hen's runner's name beginning with an R - maybe she had another runner? I had the idea she had two... some vague recollection of whatever I;d read int he paper when I stopped for brunch, I think. Anyway it's no matter at this distance!

Thanks too for the info on Mr Mulligan - whom I used to confuse with Milligan :rolleyes: but that was before I got to know Troodij LOL

Hen had two other runners on the card; Gray Knight finished behind Broken Dream and Elena's River was second later on the card.

Elena's River, that must have been the horse in my mind, although he was a gelding!
Went to Philip Hobbs after, and won quite a bit of prize money - last raced 2008

Thanks Rory, and well done! I'd be interested how you found that card... I only know how to seach when I know the name of a horse.

Back