Where Now For Godolphin?

But how can a trainer suddenly become useless? 5 years ago they were the major force in European racing.

From what little I know about Godolphin it seems unfair to lay all the blame at Bin Suroor's door as from what I have been told the guy has very little control over what goes on in the operation and has to do precisely what he is told. I have also been led to believe that Bin Suroor's hands are tied in that he has to pretty much look on whilst others have more hands on involvement in actually training the horses.

That's what I mean, Gal - in recent years it appears to me (from all I have been told) that Bin Suroor has had to relinquish quite a lot of the power he may have had when it comes to overseeing and training the horses.

Originally posted by Will@May 5 2008, 11:30 AM

when they first started doing it, they won a lot of the early Classics, I cant remeber the horses name ( im sorry for being lazy),
Wasn't BALANCHINE one of them?

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@May 5 2008, 11:51 AM
That's what I mean, Gal - in recent years it appears to me (from all I have been told) that Bin Suroor has had to relinquish quite a lot of the power he may have had when it comes to overseeing and training the horses.
That makes perfect sense from the record doesn't it? Very interesting...
So who is making the decisions, Sheikh Mo, Crisford, or other people?

The problem for Bin Suroor is that his reputation is being so tarnished by it, it would be hard for him to make it elsewhere. And no doubt he is fabulously well paid

they definitly did better when noseda/albertini were in place as assistant trainers

probably a combination of poor buys by ferguson poor training to many horses and to many generals in charge

and probably pride will stop the sheik making the changes that are neeeded

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@May 4 2008, 12:47 PM

Look at last year (and indeed, years prior to that as well) - was it not around Royal Ascot time when the boys in blue started having winners all over the place?
Indeed, and Goodwood always seems to be a good festival for them too - Frankie rides that course like no other!

Following the discussions about Bin Suroor, I think he is a VERY good trainer indeed. Godolphin have tried to be revolutionary and forward thinking - from the purchase of Evry as a 2 year old training centre to the wintering in Dubai.

In spite of this, Bin Suroor hasn't doen too badly, and the Sheiks deserve credit for trying something new.

I cannot help but feel the stress of transporting the horses on planes at such young ages cannot help the stress levels, and I agree with SLs point - it takes time to reacclimatise.

I think PR makes a good point about Albertrani. Wasn't Eoin Harty with them over here at one stage, too? Who's Suroor got backing him up these days?

track is correct

they have had noseda at the start then albertini

harty was dubai/states

he has no help now as graham has been relegated to a minor post

Ah, thanks.

So the more they expand the number of horses, the less assistance the trainer gets?

Back