Which Players Will Smash It?

Bar the Bull

At the Start
So who is going to have a good World Cup?

I think di Maria is vital to Argentina going deep into the tournament. If he plays well (and he finished the season strongly), they're possible favourites.

I am very interested to see how Rooney gets on. I know he has been struggling for fitness, but I have a niggling feeling he is going to have a good tournament. Not a 10 goal MVP tournament, just a solid tournament with a few crucial goals.

I think Matuidi will prove his class. He has very good players around him, so I think the stage is set for him to shine.

Neymar has a huge amount of pressure on his shoulders.

Who do y'all think will have a big tournament?

I have a feeling Joe Hart might do something special. Horrible as that seems.

If I may add a supplemental question, Bar..

What player, relatively unknown now, will be a household name in a month?

Last edited:
The Everton kid. These tournaments can be perfect for an emerging youngster with great talent and no fear

Antoine Griezmann (France), now Ribery is out he is sure to play a big part and a good chance the cheque books will be out regardless, worth a punt as toip French scorer.

Raphaël Varane (France) - there is a reason he is at Real and why Mourinho wants him.

Juan Fernando Quintero (Colombia) - TBH I follow a South American footy expert on twitter and he raves about this lad, he calls him the Colombian version of Maradona/Messi, he will start so looking forward to seeing him, currently with Porto.

Raheem Sterling - I was in the Liverpool end watching my team getting battered at Anfiled with some little Chinese lad hugging me after every Liverpool goal, I could have killed the git, but Sterling was a stand out, he MUST start for England Roy!!

Last edited:
Agree of Griezmann. He's a flashy little git but exceptionally talented.

Not sure Quintero will start though. I'd look out for Bacca of Colombia if he starts although that is debateable.

Griezmann is arguably a better fit than Ribery, as the Munich man has been injured a lot this year and struggling for form.

Bernard for Brazil is one to watch; he is close to breaking into the team, and many don't know him as he plays in the Ukraine.

Pjanic for Bosnia looked good the few times I saw him, but it is difficult to imagine him being a household name unless Bosnia get to quarter finals.

I think Gervinho will have a decent tournament, too.

Pjanic is brilliant.

Costa Rica's keeper is very good too, I imagine he'll have plenty of work to do so should be noticeable.

Ihonestly don't think England will aurvive the group. A mixture of the heat and the Italians being too wily for us, so can't say any of the England youngsters. I think Chile could be a surprise package in this tournament, although I really do think Argentina are all over the winners.

Last edited:
Arturo Vidal from Chile, looking for him to have a decent tournament. Also agree with Pjanic for Bosnia and can also see Dzeko doing well in the opening group games. I saw a suggestion that in the next few years Paul Pogba will become the best midfielder in Europe, will he start at this World Cup though?

I am not sure you are all right about Griezmann - I think France are favouring Giroud playing central and Benzema coming from the left, Valbuena from the right (according to L'Equipe this morning).

Ihonestly don't think England will aurvive the group. A mixture of the heat and the Italians being too wily for us, so can't say any of the England youngsters. I think Chile could be a surprise package in this tournament, although I really do think Argentina are all over the winners.

I doubt England will survive the group stage too and think they're a decent bet to finish last although I'm ashamed to say that. Even a second string side ought to have been able to dispose of Ecuador and Honduras although weather interruption in the latter game didn't help.

Also like Argentina as winners. The burden of expectation on Brazil could prove too much and all the Europeans seem to me to have too many doubts/injuries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ecuador are a decent team, don't get the arrogance here...

Honduras are fairly crap but they kicked lumps out of us and quite rightly we weren't going to match them.

Arturo Vidal from Chile, looking for him to have a decent tournament. Also agree with Pjanic for Bosnia and can also see Dzeko doing well in the opening group games. I saw a suggestion that in the next few years Paul Pogba will become the best midfielder in Europe, will he start at this World Cup though?

Is he fit now?

Missed end of season with a knee injury I think?

He's been passed fit but can't be 100% surely. He's a behemoth of a midfielder, possibly the best around at the moment.

Back